• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Resort Has the Best Pool: WL or AKL?

Definitely AKL. At AKL you can use the pools at both Kidani and Jambo so you’re getting 2 great pools. AKL is a fantastic resort.
The feature pool at WL felt pretty claustrophobic to us. I’d hate to see it when it’s really crowded. The refurbished pool over by the Villas is very nice but doesn’t have a slide.
Of course for the best pool on property I’d stay at Beach Club:thumbsup2

We've stayed at both WL and AKL several times each. Lots of "it depends" in my answer regarding the pools!

AKL pro: The fact that, as BuzzyBelle mentioned, you have access to two feature pools at AKL - both the main AKL pool and Kidani. The variety is great. At one point, when pools were more of a focus for us, we identified AKL pools as second to only SAB at BC/YC. Huge water playground area at Kidani and fun waterslides at both.

AKL con: There is no "quiet pool." So if you don't like mid-afternoon pool games (like our 18yo) you are out of luck! There are pool games at both pools in the afternoon and there is nothing quiet about them. Also, we always think we're going over to the Kidani pool during our stay, but we only make it over there either once or never per stay. It's really not that far (maybe 5-10 minutes) it's just that once everyone is changed into swimsuits, it just seems easier to stay at Jambo to swim. Also, there are a number of areas in Kidani and the cool theming obscures the stairs to the slide, so it's not as easy to have eyes on the kids all the time. The main AKL pool is kind of split up now that the fences are up, too.

WL pro: New villas pool! It looks fabulous. No water slide, but I'll sacrifice the slide for the lack of loudspeaker-fueled pool games. Also, plenty of food and drink nearby at Geyser Point. The whole area is just so fresh and clean. The water play area at the main WL pool is fantastic for little kids. While our youngest has enjoyed the Kidani splash area (and it's very large) he prefers the contained water playground at WL. We also find it far easier to supervise the kids at the WL pool - there seem to be fewer areas to swim/run into, so we could easily follow them when they were zipping away. When they became strong swimmers, we could actually sit down in one spot for a bit! Also, the villas pool is right next to the main pool, so we have access to two pools that we're likely to actually use.

WL con: The main pool gets very crowded sometimes, and the pool game noise can really permeate the area. Also, the slide is super tiny and wasn't very interesting to our kids past age 7ish.

We prefer WL pool right now, but we've changed our minds over time and just may change them back again. Both are great choices!

That's really a toss up. Both nice pools with cute slides. AKL has zero entry, if that's important to you. Both have cute splash pads for the little kids. I would pick the resort that appeals to you most.

That's really a toss up. Both nice pools with cute slides. AKL has zero entry, if that's important to you. Both have cute splash pads for the little kids. I would pick the resort that appeals to you most.
The new villas pool at WL has zero entry, too. :)

We love both. They are both beautifully landscaped. I think AKL pool is a tad nicer, because it’s larger but as Noted, WL now has the new Villas pool open which looks really nice, zero entry, cool seating areas, and no pool party! Lol. It’s also just around the corner from main pool. At Kidani as Pixarmom noted, it’s a bit of a hike to that pool from Jambo. And no escape from pool party.

I can’t wait for my Aug stay. I was looking at uTube videos of villa pool. Love the seating areas. Didn’t they have bubblers in old pool?
I loved the bubblers in the old villas pool. I've heard that the new pool doesn't have them. The new pool is gorgeous. :)

I loved the bubblers in the old villas pool. I've heard that the new pool doesn't have them. The new pool is gorgeous. :)
Yes, couldn’t remember, my last stay was 2012 but thought it had bubblers! May have stopped working like the bubblers in SAB. Bubbling Bay hasn’t bubbled in years lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter