Which resort for Solo Trip

ryanmilla

DIS Veteran
So, I just booked a solo trip for my 50th B-Day. I’m currently booked at OKW in a 1 Bdrm (160 pts). But I have been looking at the different resort options and wondering if I should change out. I normally stay at either SSR (home resort) or OKW. I am already borrowing a few points (14) from my 2025 use year. But trying to see if any of these others would be worth it. Part of me is saying to stick with OKW. I’ll have a larger room, even though it is buses, I feel it is kind of in the center (I said kind of) to all the parks, and it is low points. And I’ll most likely be spending the majority of my time in the parks. But the other side of me thinks, I always stay at SSR or OKW and would it be nice to switch it up this time, especially for a bday trip (I have stayed in all of the other resorts at some time). So, below are my options. I would love to hear other’s thoughts on this.
1 Bdrm Villas (already borrowing 14 pts)
OKW - 160pts
SSR - standard - 164 pts; preferred - 194 pts
Riviera - standard - 225 pts; preferred - 275 pts
AKL Kindani - standard - 163 pts; savanna - 193 pts
AKL Jambo - standard - 163 pts
Wilderness Lodge - 191 pts (both Cooper Creek and Boulder Ridge)
BLT - lake view - 216 pts

So, I just booked a solo trip for my 50th B-Day. I’m currently booked at OKW in a 1 Bdrm (160 pts). But I have been looking at the different resort options and wondering if I should change out. I normally stay at either SSR (home resort) or OKW. I am already borrowing a few points (14) from my 2025 use year. But trying to see if any of these others would be worth it. Part of me is saying to stick with OKW. I’ll have a larger room, even though it is buses, I feel it is kind of in the center (I said kind of) to all the parks, and it is low points. And I’ll most likely be spending the majority of my time in the parks. But the other side of me thinks, I always stay at SSR or OKW and would it be nice to switch it up this time, especially for a bday trip (I have stayed in all of the other resorts at some time). So, below are my options. I would love to hear other’s thoughts on this.
1 Bdrm Villas (already borrowing 14 pts)
OKW - 160pts
SSR - standard - 164 pts; preferred - 194 pts
Riviera - standard - 225 pts; preferred - 275 pts
AKL Kindani - standard - 163 pts; savanna - 193 pts
AKL Jambo - standard - 163 pts
Wilderness Lodge - 191 pts (both Cooper Creek and Boulder Ridge)
BLT - lake view - 216 pts
We absolutely love AKV Kidani. But I would only switch there if you were going to go for a savannah view. The resort is peaceful, the views of the savannah can't be beat, and we have always had great luck with transportation there. When you share buses it is only with Jambo.

Love Jambo, and a number of the standard view rooms have at least a partial savanna view. That being said, if you enjoy a long soak after a busy park day, OKW has amazing tubs.

My favorite resort for all my solo trips is BCV. I love that it's such a close walk to Epcot, yet inside the BC is so peaceful, it feels like a million miles away. I love that there are so many great options for eating around the area, or a short skyliner trip will bring you to another, at the Riviera. If I want to see the Epcot fireworks, afterwards I don't have to fight the crowds-just head out the IG, and a short time later I'm "home". I've enjoyed solo trips to other resorts, but BCV truly is like "home" to me, and has been for over 20 years.

Happy Birthday.
3 questions. Do you need a 1 bdrm? How long are you going for? Are you opposed to split stays?
If you dont need a 1bdrm for a solo trip, then going with a studio saves points and lets you stay longer if you can.
If going for more than 5 days, I love split stays. Staying 3 nights in different resorts lets you get the vibe of that resort. As a solo traveler super easy to change resorts. Leave luggage in the am with bell services, head to park, goto new resort and pick up luggage from bell services or have brought up to your new room.
With split stays, you could do a MK resort for closeness, then one of the Epcot resorts for the 2 parks and do AKL for AK. Never be far from any of the resorts and try out a few.
Good luck and enjoy.

I’m having a solo trip starting next week on Friday. 3 nights Jambo std studio and then 4 nights std studio at the Poly. I can’t wait after this extremely cold weather we’ve had!

Happy Birthday.
3 questions. Do you need a 1 bdrm? How long are you going for? Are you opposed to split stays?
If you dont need a 1bdrm for a solo trip, then going with a studio saves points and lets you stay longer if you can.
If going for more than 5 days, I love split stays. Staying 3 nights in different resorts lets you get the vibe of that resort. As a solo traveler super easy to change resorts. Leave luggage in the am with bell services, head to park, goto new resort and pick up luggage from bell services or have brought up to your new room.
With split stays, you could do a MK resort for closeness, then one of the Epcot resorts for the 2 parks and do AKL for AK. Never be far from any of the resorts and try out a few.
Good luck and enjoy.
First off, Thank you!
Do you need a 1 bdrm? - I guess I don’t need a 1 bdrm, but I like having the kitchen. Normally, I will cook food in the villa to cut down on buying food in the parks, but maybe I’ll change that for this trip.
How long are you going for? - Unfortunately, it is a fixed time. April 6-11.
Are you opposed to split stays? - I guess not. I haven’t really done that before, but honestly, I’ve only done a couple of solo trips, so usually with a family it is easiest to stay in one place. But I guess as a solo traveler, I could do a split stay. I’ll have to look into that. I like your suggestions.

And as others have stated, I like the EPCOT resorts as well, but they were all booked during my visit. But maybe if I’m only getting a night or two, they will have some availability.

I appreciate everyone’s comments a feedback. I love hearing everyone’s thoughts and seeing how we all love Disney. Gets me excited for the trip.

So yes I think 2 resorts would work for a split. And yes when looking at shorter times rooms do open up and are easier.
Best of luck in your decision. We will be there the week after.

I go solo several times a year, and have for over a decade. Overall, I probably like Boardwalk the best, followed by Beach, for the easy access to DHS and Epcot on foot, plus the numerous restaurant and bar choices all around the Epcot Resort area and parks. SSR is probably 2nd favorite - mostly for the food and entertainment flexibility of walking over to Disney Springs anytime, before or after park days. OKW is next - as it has the Springs access, but not quite as easy as it's by boat. Boulder Ridge next, for the grounds, MK access by boat, and ability to sample around the MK area hotels for food choices. BLT next for the same reasons as Boulder - but more expensive and I prefer Wilderness Lodge's grounds and food...and the cheaper point charts.

I've stayed at many other resorts solo with DVC - so I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy the trips or stay again, but I'd probably put AK near the bottom just because it's less convenient with no walking to parks or entertainment spaces. I haven't stayed at Riv yet - theoretically it's not bad with access by Skyliner to a few parks, though again higher on the point charts and smaller rooms.

I'll be doing a solo trip in a few weeks - Boardwalk is my home resort, but wasn't available for the days I was looking for, so I took Saratoga 1-bedroom, congress park...which is precisely where I was in early December for my last solo trip. I'll be traveling with friends in June and December this year, but have another solo in September booked for a 1-bed Boardwalk.

So, I have been convinced to do a split stay. Thank you all.

Right now, I’m trying to decide on these two different options.

Option #1:
AKL Kindani - Savanna 1 bdrm for nights 1,2,3
GFV - Studio for nights 4,5

Option #2:
BLT Lake View 1 bdrm for nights 1,2,3
GFV - Studio for nights 4,5

Option #1 gets me to another area outside of the MK area and get to have the Savanna view, however, with Option #2, I have actually never stayed at BLT, so it allows me to stay at a new place and I get the monorail access for the entire trip. Decisions….Decisions….

Unfortunately, BWV and BCV are both unavailable during my stay.

I would start in the studio and move to the 1 BR if you are able to. Going from a 1 BR to a studio, particularly the Kidani and BLT 1 BRs is gonna make the VGF studio seem small.
I agree completely. Once I did a split staying at the same resort, but I did a studio, then a 1 bedroom. So I suggest option 1, but in reverse order, VGF followed by Kidani.

I would include AKV and split with either BLT or GFV. I also would probably try to do the smaller room first. If due to availability you have to go with one of the options above, I would go with option 1.

First off, Thank you!
Do you need a 1 bdrm? - I guess I don’t need a 1 bdrm, but I like having the kitchen. Normally, I will cook food in the villa to cut down on buying food in the parks, but maybe I’ll change that for this trip.
How long are you going for? - Unfortunately, it is a fixed time. April 6-11.
Are you opposed to split stays? - I guess not. I haven’t really done that before, but honestly, I’ve only done a couple of solo trips, so usually with a family it is easiest to stay in one place. But I guess as a solo traveler, I could do a split stay. I’ll have to look into that. I like your suggestions.

And as others have stated, I like the EPCOT resorts as well, but they were all booked during my visit. But maybe if I’m only getting a night or two, they will have some availability.

I appreciate everyone’s comments a feedback. I love hearing everyone’s thoughts and seeing how we all love Disney. Gets me excited for the trip.
As far as studios go, it does not appear there are any open for the time you want except at SSR or OKW. There are some 1BRs open (and that could change at any moment):

(a) Jambo standard view (163 points): you could request (not-guaranteed) a standard view room on the Kudo Trail side of the building; more than half the standard view rooms at Jambo have partial to full savanna view and all the standard view rooms on the Kudo Trail side of the building have such savanna view.

(b) Kidani standard view (163) and savanna view (193): With standard view, you could request (not guaranteed) a room near the Pumbaa elevator; all rooms on the Pembe savanna side of the two building units which that elevator sits between are standard view rooms that have a direct, not just partial, Pembe savanna view.

(c) there appear to still be 1BRs open at CCV, BRV, BLT (lake view), and Riviera (standard and preferred), but they all cost significantly more points than Jambo or Kidani standard view

Quick update on what I finally booked. First off, I want to say thank you to everyone for such wonderful recommendations, thoughts and insights. Here is what I finally went with.

So, I was going back and forth with AKL, but in the end decided I wanted to stay on the monorail for the week. Then I was hearing not to go from a 1 bdrm to a studio, b/c it will feel small and I agreed, but the studio at VGF were only available on the last 2 nights….at first. When I went to check again, they became available for the beginning as well. Soooooooo, I went with this.

April 6-8 - VGF - Deluxe Studio
April 8-11 - BLT - 1 bdrm

After booking that, I looked at my schedule and realized, I could actually head to WDW on April 4th instead and just work remotely the 4th and 5th. So, I went back to see what was available and found only SSR and OKW. So, I bit the bullet and added that on, so here is my full itinerary now.

April 4-6 - OKW - 1 bdrm

I know I will be going from the 1 bdrm to a studio, but I’m good with that. I’m super excited for the trip and now just need to wait for my 60 day timeframe to start booking meals and tours. Hoping to do the DiveQuest again.

Thanks again everyone!

Not only are you going from a 1-bed to studio to 1-bed, but you're starting with the largest one bedroom in DVC! Even the BLT 1-bedrom will feel small next to OKW. But who cares - you're at Disney, so the size of the room doesn't matter all that much in the end.

Not only are you going from a 1-bed to studio to 1-bed, but you're starting with the largest one bedroom in DVC! Even the BLT 1-bedrom will feel small next to OKW. But who cares - you're at Disney, so the size of the room doesn't matter all that much in the end.
But if working remote for the 1st 2 days,,,what better than in a large room, and big balcony, with a very quiet surroundings. Sounds like a great time.

Quick update on what I finally booked. First off, I want to say thank you to everyone for such wonderful recommendations, thoughts and insights. Here is what I finally went with.

So, I was going back and forth with AKL, but in the end decided I wanted to stay on the monorail for the week. Then I was hearing not to go from a 1 bdrm to a studio, b/c it will feel small and I agreed, but the studio at VGF were only available on the last 2 nights….at first. When I went to check again, they became available for the beginning as well. Soooooooo, I went with this.

After booking that, I looked at my schedule and realized, I could actually head to WDW on April 4th instead and just work remotely the 4th and 5th. So, I went back to see what was available and found only SSR and OKW. So, I bit the bullet and added that on, so here is my full itinerary now.

April 4-6 - OKW - 1 bdrm

I know I will be going from the 1 bdrm to a studio, but I’m good with that. I’m super excited for the trip and now just need to wait for my 60 day timeframe to start booking meals and tours. Hoping to do the DiveQuest again.

Thanks again everyone!
Sounds great,,,,OKW large room, big balcony, quite surroundings,,,,enjoy. We have not done divequest yet, but plan to. Worth the $200?

facebook twitter