• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which resort? AOA or...

firegurl

Mouseketeer
My family had some pretty major issues on a trip a couple of years ago and received a 5 night comp stay in a family suite at AOA. That's awesome and I am super thrilled that they stepped up to make things right. We are now looking at booking a stay and taking advantage of that comped room. My issue is that although those rooms are super cool and I would love to stay there they are also expensive and more than we need. We want to do at least a 7 night stay which has us paying out of pocket for at least 2 nights (almost $800 rack rate). DH and I have been discussing it and we were going to ask if we could switch that 5 nights in a family suite to 7 nights somewhere else. We are fine with any level but realistically I would expect Value or Mod to keep the pricing in line. The only resort we would prefer not to stay is CB. I am certainly not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but was hoping that there is a way to maximize our trip without asking for anything additional from Disney. So, my question is... where would you stay? Also, do you think it's a crazy/out of line request to ask for that switch?

So you want something that is less per night, so the two extra nights won't be off the charts.

I would look at AKL or WL first and see if they come out less (depends on time of year you are going).

If it's still too much I would look at POR.

OR would you consider keeping AoA then switching to another resort and getting two experiences?

I would doubt they'd do that for you, but you can always ask.

I'd take the free 5 nights, and then start off somewhere less expensive (I wouldn't want to do it the other way around; better to start off in a smaller room then go to the suite).

I thought about a split stay but I really don't want to move our stuff once we get settled. Our youngest will be 18 months old at that point so I would prefer just 1 location.
Yes, I am looking for less per night to help my case for making it a 7 night stay without them giving me more than they originally intended. I'm not trying to get more out of them, I am very appreciative of what they have given so far.

Getting a moderate would be a bit of a challenge. Two of them are having major construction, so the other 2 (not counting the cabins) are going to be booked up if they are not already.

Maybe ask if they could move you to an All Star Family Suite. They are typically quite a bit cheaper than the suites at AoA.

Getting a moderate would be a bit of a challenge. Two of them are having major construction, so the other 2 (not counting the cabins) are going to be booked up if they are not already.

Maybe ask if they could move you to an All Star Family Suite. They are typically quite a bit cheaper than the suites at AoA.

That's kind of what I was thinking, Mod might be pushing it and I'm really okay with Value. We don't really need a family suite, it's only myself, DH, DS8 and DS1.

I doubt they will be willing to comp additional nights, even if room cost is less. If you value not moving rooms enough that you are willing to have your comped value lowered, go ahead and look at the resorts suggested above. I totally understand your desire to keep things simple with an 18 month old. Just want to share, though, that my experience with split stays has been very positive. If you can consider packing with the plan of a split stay and know that bell services will pick up and deliver luggage for you, the only downside I see is you may not have access to a room between 11 and 3 on your transfer day. Could you stay 2 nights in a Little Mermaid room? At least then you are just moving within a resort, and your OOP for the 2 extra nights will be lower.

If you're willing to do a split stay (yes, I don't like them either really unless I have to, which I've had to do a very few times), I'd do Pop at the start. Then you can just walk your luggage over to AOA (short walk). Pop is very reasonably priced. I'd do that over a Little Mermaid room, as they're usually less expensive. If you have any cold grocery items, the luggage assistance folks will keep it cold for you. It wouldn't be quite so bad!

I doubt that they will give you two extra nights, but I would ask for something that was quite a bit less $$$ for the 7 nights if i were to try. Look at the website for your dates and see what would work. I looked at a week in early Nov and it looked like 5 nights in AoA suite was $1590 whereas a standard room in POR for 7 nights was $1498. Pretty close to the same $$. It might work?

Alternatively, I like the plan to stay two nights at POP or in a LM room and then move to your 5 nights in the suite. Moving really isn't that hard and it would be lovely to have all the room that you get with that suite. If you move from the LM to the Lion King suites and were able to get a late check out and an early room ready, you might be able to walk from one to the other. that would be nice. But, even if that didn't work, it is still a very easy move.

Good luck!

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for whatever the problem was-it must have been awful-I've never heard of FIVE nights given as compensation.

I'd second the suggestion of doing a split stay and staying in a little mermaid room for the first 2 days. We stayed at AOA in a Little Mermaid room last Spring and found it to be very comfortable for 2 adults and 2 kids. My daughter was 18 months at the time.

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for whatever the problem was-it must have been awful-I've never heard of FIVE nights given as compensation.
It was a series of events over our entire 8 day stay. About 4 hours into the trip I was sitting on a bench at CBR crying and trying to talk my DH into going home and that was just the start. It just got worse from there. When they called me to tell me that they were giving me 5 nights, I cried happy tears. It happened to be the day of our 10th wedding anniversary so I had a great gift for DH. I honestly still can't believe it but I feel like they came through in true Disney fashion. But that is also why I don't want to seem like I'm being greedy, I don't have to have a family suite at AOA for 5 nights, a regular room at a Value for 7 nights is $1000 less or something like that.

We are doing our first split stay in May. Staying at the CR for 4 nights then moving to the Grand for 4 nights. We are traveling with a 9 yr old and a 23 mo old. We will have our own vehicle so will just load the luggage in the van to move, but WDW will move your luggage for you if you want. I would just book 2 nights on your own at POP or a LM room at AOA and just don't unpack those first two nights and I think it would be fine. The suite will be so nice for you! We did a Nemo suite on our last trip and it was nice to have all that space.

I would doubt they'd do that for you, but you can always ask.

I'd take the free 5 nights, and then start off somewhere less expensive (I wouldn't want to do it the other way around; better to start off in a smaller room then go to the suite).

I got great news this morning, I pulled out my letter from Disney about my comped stay and called the number they gave me. It's a different line than the reservation line. The were awesome and said I could basically do whatever I wanted. I can move to 7 nights at any Value in a regular room or stay at a mod for 5 nights or leave this as they are. If I decide to stay with the family suite they will deeply discount any additional nights. They could not have been nicer and instructed me to book my entire trip directly with them so that I will not need to switch rooms at all.

I got great news this morning, I pulled out my letter from Disney about my comped stay and called the number they gave me. It's a different line than the reservation line. The were awesome and said I could basically do whatever I wanted. I can move to 7 nights at any Value in a regular room or stay at a mod for 5 nights or leave this as they are. If I decide to stay with the family suite they will deeply discount any additional nights. They could not have been nicer and instructed me to book my entire trip directly with them so that I will not need to switch rooms at all.

This is fantastic news!! I'm so glad things worked out for you. It's hard to recover from a disastrous trip, but it sounds like Disney has done a pretty good job of making that happen.

I hope your next trip is amazing!!!

What a happy update! It's always great when Disney goes the extra mile like this. So which resort are you leaning towards? :) They're all special for different reasons, but having traveled with my two young rascals I can honestly say that doing a split stay was the one downside of our recent trip that I wish I hadn't done. If my kids were a little older (they're 3 and 5) it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but the lull between checking out of one resort (at 11:00 a.m.) and checking into another (at 4:00 p.m.) directly impacted the very vital nap times (and I don't know how your little one is without a naptime, but my two turn into little nightmares lol). Every family is different though and only they know what's going to work best for them, but no matter which resort(s) you end up going with you'll be right in the middle of the Disney magic! :)

What a happy update! It's always great when Disney goes the extra mile like this. So which resort are you leaning towards? :) They're all special for different reasons, but having traveled with my two young rascals I can honestly say that doing a split stay was the one downside of our recent trip that I wish I hadn't done. If my kids were a little older (they're 3 and 5) it probably wouldn't have been an issue, but the lull between checking out of one resort (at 11:00 a.m.) and checking into another (at 4:00 p.m.) directly impacted the very vital nap times (and I don't know how your little one is without a naptime, but my two turn into little nightmares lol). Every family is different though and only they know what's going to work best for them, but no matter which resort(s) you end up going with you'll be right in the middle of the Disney magic! :)
We decided to stick with AOA family suites. They gave me such a great price for the additional nights that I had to take advantage of it. We are done having kids, we don't need a family suite and I can't see us needing one anytime in the future. This will probably be the only time we stay in these rooms and they do look awesome. My boys will go nuts for a Cars room. We also decided to invite my sister down with us so the extra space will be nice if she decides to come down.

Awesome news! Disney really did well for you, and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

For kids that are Cars fans, that area looks so absolutely adorable (my DD and I walked around last year, and thought it was so cute, especially the little cones by the pool that are like cabanas).

Enjoy!!

We decided to stick with AOA family suites. They gave me such a great price for the additional nights that I had to take advantage of it. We are done having kids, we don't need a family suite and I can't see us needing one anytime in the future. This will probably be the only time we stay in these rooms and they do look awesome. My boys will go nuts for a Cars room. We also decided to invite my sister down with us so the extra space will be nice if she decides to come down.

Those suites look amazing, and I've heard that kids just love the larger-than-life theming of AOA (especially if you're a Cars fan, your kids are going to be so excited!). I haven't had the opportunity to stay there yet but we hope to visit to see it in person on our next vacation this fall. And I think Landscape of Flavors has an oreo Mickey cupcake! Hope your family has a great vacation, sounds like Disney went the extra mile to give you the vacation you had hoped for. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter