which park-knotts or six flags

jakoky

DIS Veteran
hi there, we have just decided we are headed back to disneyland in september :cool1: ....i have promised my kids(dd-16, ds-will be 14 and dd-will be 12) that we will do another park while we are there....i need to know which is better, knotts or six flags....also, what is the distance from disneyland for both of them...we will also be travelling with another family whose kids will be 14, 10 and 8...anything you can tell me about these parks would be great...thx so much
sharon

Knotts is way closer then Six Flags. But it all depends on one thing. If you and your kids are roller coaster riders then definetly do Six Flags if not I would say go to Knotts.

There are actually 2 Six Flags. Magic Mountain has alot more roller coasters and Marine World has alot of rides, both roller and not AND animals and it is a very good park. But neither is close to DL. Knotts is very close, only a short drive 10-20 mins depending on traffic and if you are driving or catching a bus. There are some kid rides there as well as roller coasters. So if you've never gone to any and want to just go for a day trip from DL do Knotts!!

Knotts Berry Farm- Small park, some good rides, very close to Disneyland (approx 10miles), heard the chicken dinner is good and there are always discounts.

Magic Mountain- is a larger park, has some great rides including tallest flying coaster and great water rides too, without traffic the park is approx. an hour away, there are some discounts out there too. The food is Eh, but lots of great resturants right outside the park.

Personally I would drive to Magic Mountain but its one of my favorite parks.

Knotts is much closer.

Six Flags is north on 5. Never made it in an hour. LA traffic is the worst. If you are going to do the extra park on your way home and you go north on I5 then Magic Mtn would probably be preferred by your children, but the 8 yo from the other part of your party probably won't have as much fun.

Knotts is an easy day trip, great way to beat the weekend traffic at DL and has a water park next door too. Don't know if its open during your stay in Sept though.

Have you considered Universal Studios?

If time is not an issue, Six Flags all the way. It's a much better match for the ages in your group, assuming their not weenies :lmao: LOL. (I'm a weenie by the way :rotfl2: ).

We do the drive in an hour (or less :rolleyes1 ) all the time, but you have to be careful to avoid traffic. Some nights/times of day can be horrid because you have to drive through the heart of L.A. (or you can go around, which is a longer drive but can sometimes save time).

wow, thx for all the great replies...i really appreciate it...i think we are gonna do knotts just because it is much closer, plus i just got coupons that will save us quite a bit of money there...we did do universal last year and we really, really enjoyed it...thx again, everyone has been so helpful...
sharon

You'll still have fun at Knotts. They just opened a new spinning roller coaster. Also check out Xcelerator, the world's first rocket coaster; Timber Mountain Log Ride, very fun in comparison to Splash I think; Ghostrider, a fun woodie; and if you're really daring Perilous Plunge which is like your traditional shoot-the-chutes ride on steroids.

There are actually 2 Six Flags. Magic Mountain has alot more roller coasters and Marine World has alot of rides, both roller and not AND animals and it is a very good park. But neither is close to DL. Knotts is very close, only a short drive 10-20 mins depending on traffic and if you are driving or catching a bus. There are some kid rides there as well as roller coasters. So if you've never gone to any and want to just go for a day trip from DL do Knotts!!

Marine World is now known as Discovery Kingdom and is like 7 hours away in Vallejo,so that's out.Knott's is allright but if you like Rollercoasters then you have to go to Magic Mountain.It's definitely the #2 rollercoaster park in the USA behind Cedar Point in Ohio!!

You definitely won't want to do Discovery Kingdom, I live about 15-20 min. away and while we love it (have AP's for 6 Flags) it will be more like a 8-10 hour drive. We are driving to DL next month and we are planning on stopping at MM, we considered Knotts but I think we will skip it. We went to MM last year on our way home from DL and we had a ball! My choice would be MM, altho it is farther away from DL then Knotts.

For anyone interested if you go to Taco Bell right now (obviously in the area of a Six Flags Park) you can get a coupon for buy one get one free tickets. Not sure of the expiration though, but it might be something to look into for anyone interested in MM.

For anyone interested if you go to Taco Bell right now (obviously in the area of a Six Flags Park) you can get a coupon for buy one get one free tickets. Not sure of the expiration though, but it might be something to look into for anyone interested in MM.

Oh my gosh I need those coupons! haha *wishing I lived in LA right about now*

Sorry, I don't mean to take this off track but does anyone else know of any discounts for MM?

Back to the poster... I have researched both parks, and while Knotts is closer to Disney.. I would rather drive the hour to MM to get some thrill rides in. Knotts looks great for little kids... but I am a rollercoaster junky so I would pick MM anyday.

Sorry, I don't mean to take this off track but does anyone else know of any discounts for MM?

I have a code that you can use to purchase tickets online and buy one, get one free. Just send me a pm and I will give you the information.

Don't know if you still need a six flags discount code, but in case you do. Type in "coldstone" where it says enter promo code and you can get adult admission for child's price.

Back to the poster... I have researched both parks, and while Knotts is closer to Disney.. I would rather drive the hour to MM to get some thrill rides in. Knotts looks great for little kids... but I am a rollercoaster junky so I would pick MM anyday.

If you haven't received a discount code, you might want to check out Coke cans. Sometimes they have promotions for discounted admission or free admission with an empty can.

BTW, if you want a short-cut to Magic Mountain, and avoid the traffic on the 5, this is the way to go: Take the 5 north and drive just past Dodger Stadium. At that point, you should see the 2 (Glendale Freeway) North. Take that until it ends. At that point, take the 210 West. Take the 210 all the way to end, and it will hook you up to the 5 North. At that point, you have probably a 5 to 10 minute drive on the 5 until you get to the Magic Mountain exit. I ought to know this route since I work in Downtown Los Angeles and live in Valencia and take this way all the time to go home and avoid any traffic.

We live in SD and go to DL all the time. Next summer we will be staying at the GC and doing DL for 3 days and Knotts, waterpark and Universal studies. Although six flags is better it is farther away and LA traffic is terrible. There are 2 water parks close by but the one (cant think of what the name is) was voted #3 out of the 10 best water parks in the US.

You could always do that for the day.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter