Which Italy Tour - Viva or Central

Forever Fairy

Spreading Some Pixie Dust
I'm new to this board and possibly looking to take an ABD trip in 2011 as a gift to my DH's 40th.

I'm looking at maybe Italy, but am not sure which tour would be better - Viva or Central. We would be first time International travelers.

If they had a Japan or Hawaii trip, it would be a no brainier, since those have always been on the top of our list. But since they are not, I thought Italy may be nice.

I'm open to suggestions...:wizard:

I'm new to this board and possibly looking to take an ABD trip in 2011 as a gift to my DH's 40th.

I'm looking at maybe Italy, but am not sure which tour would be better - Viva or Central. We would be first time International travelers.

If they had a Japan or Hawaii trip, it would be a no brainier, since those have always been on the top of our list. But since they are not, I thought Italy may be nice.

I'm open to suggestions...:wizard:

I haven't done either of the Italy trips yet, but thought I would mention that ABD sent out a survey in the latter part of 2009 with a lot of questions about a possible ABD itinerary in Hawaii, so that could possibly be happening next year. Won't know until August though.

Lots of us on the board have been on the Italy trips and loved them. We did the Viva trip two years ago, and it was without a doubt truly fantastic. It went to more places I wanted to see compared to the central trip at that time, but the plans may have changed. My favorite city was Venice, and it's the one place in Italy I know I will definitely go back to some day. Florence was only so-so; Rome was amazing and a definite not miss; Tuscany and Orvieto in particular were spectacular. The atmosphere everywhere was just thrilling. Please feel free to ask questions :goodvibes

I did both of the Italy trips and thought nothing could ever compare to Viva Italia... until I went on the Bella Italia trip. :) We had a large group who had traveled together on the Viva trip and I'd say most of us liked this one even more.

It really does depend on what you're looking for, though!

Highlights of Viva Italia:

-- Like glassslipper2004, Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world, possibly *the* favorite. (I'm back in September on a Holland America cruise, and can't wait!)

-- Visiting St Peter's Basilica was one of the most moving experiences of my life. It doesn't matter your religious affiliation, or even if you have one -- just marvel at what it took to build this amazing structure.

-- The villa in Tuscany is a fabulous way to feel like an Italian for a few days. Oh wait... I *am* Italian... ;)

Highlights of Bella Italia:

-- I actually LOVE Florence and think the short time on the Viva trip does it an injustice. The hotel is right smack in the middle of everything and has a charming rooftop patio, where we consumed much wine in the evening. :) I like Florence more than I like Rome, and that surprised me.

-- Sorrento, Positano, Capri -- wow! Absolutely the most beautiful coastline in the world, for me.

-- Pompeii was just incredible and such a difference experience than what I expected it to be.

I think the Viva trip is a much more fast-paced, see-all-you-can-see-in-a-short-time trip, and that's not a bad thing if you're looking for that. Some folks wouldn't want to go to Italy and miss the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, St. Mark's Square in Venice, etc. Those are the things that say "Italy" to us. However, the Bella Italia trip is more... romantic?

Adding two things to my typically long answer... would I have loved Bella Italia so much had I NOT seen Rome and Venice? I'm not sure, but I know I'd still be longing for a trip that included those two cities. Would I have loved Bella Italia more than Viva Italia if my three boys weren't with me? Hah... anyone who knows me knows the answer to that one. :)

IMG_1710.JPG

Dotti

:)Thanks for the information. I too am looking at a trip to Italy for my husbands 40th next year! Japan would be a great option too! I am italian/japanese!:)

Dotti, I love reading your reviews and find them so informative. We have done Viva Italia and loved it. In October we are doing Bella Italia and read a few reviews about the "rough waters" during the boat rides? It this something to be concerned about, or have the dramamine ready? Hope others are over reacting? thanks for all your posts, very helpful.

I did both of the Italy trips and thought nothing could ever compare to Viva Italia... until I went on the Bella Italia trip. :) We had a large group who had traveled together on the Viva trip and I'd say most of us liked this one even more.

It really does depend on what you're looking for, though!

Highlights of Viva Italia:

-- Like glassslipper2004, Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world, possibly *the* favorite. (I'm back in September on a Holland America cruise, and can't wait!)

-- Visiting St Peter's Basilica was one of the most moving experiences of my life. It doesn't matter your religious affiliation, or even if you have one -- just marvel at what it took to build this amazing structure.

-- The villa in Tuscany is a fabulous way to feel like an Italian for a few days. Oh wait... I *am* Italian... ;)

Highlights of Bella Italia:

-- I actually LOVE Florence and think the short time on the Viva trip does it an injustice. The hotel is right smack in the middle of everything and has a charming rooftop patio, where we consumed much wine in the evening. :) I like Florence more than I like Rome, and that surprised me.

-- Sorrento, Positano, Capri -- wow! Absolutely the most beautiful coastline in the world, for me.

-- Pompeii was just incredible and such a difference experience than what I expected it to be.

I think the Viva trip is a much more fast-paced, see-all-you-can-see-in-a-short-time trip, and that's not a bad thing if you're looking for that. Some folks wouldn't want to go to Italy and miss the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, St. Mark's Square in Venice, etc. Those are the things that say "Italy" to us. However, the Bella Italia trip is more... romantic?

Adding two things to my typically long answer... would I have loved Bella Italia so much had I NOT seen Rome and Venice? I'm not sure, but I know I'd still be longing for a trip that included those two cities. Would I have loved Bella Italia more than Viva Italia if my three boys weren't with me? Hah... anyone who knows me knows the answer to that one. :)

IMG_1710.JPG

Dotti

Thank you so much for your posts. Whatever trip I decide will probably be the first for both of us overseas. I will have a few more questions I'm sure, which I will post soon.

Thanks Dotti - your insight has been invaluable!

The cities have very different "feels" to them. So, it really depends on what you want to experience. For ex., Florence is very lovely, easily walkable and like sipping a lovely glass of wine on a perfect summer evening. DH loved it. Rome is hustle, bustle, a thriving city, and then you walk around the corner and there is some huge ancient ruin. It's fantastic! Venice is sort of the same way--not really relaxing--but, for some, a must see.
So, it really depends what type of trip you want. Elaine

Dotti, I love reading your reviews and find them so informative. We have done Viva Italia and loved it. In October we are doing Bella Italia and read a few reviews about the "rough waters" during the boat rides? It this something to be concerned about, or have the dramamine ready? Hope others are over reacting? thanks for all your posts, very helpful.

Well.. the boats are small and you are moving along at a good clip at times, so you definitely will feel a bit of movement. I'm one of those people who can't even read a map in a car, so I knew to take Bonine (generic Dramamine). I also needed it for some of the bus rides. I'm not sure if it's all in my head, but Bonine always works for me and has never made me drowsy. This time was no exception -- I was fine.

For Viva Italia, I'd recommend it for the boat ride from Venice back to the airport. I felt like I was in a Bond movie. I also felt like holding on to my luggage for dear life so that it wouldn't end up in the sea. ;)

Back to Bella Italia, we had one hour on the water where we all had flashbacks to watching "A Perfect Storm" -- dark clouds coming fast and me wishing I could understand Italian more than ever. The hand gestures looked ominous. It went by fast, we got a little wet and all was well, but there were a few of our party who turned a wee bit green when the winds picked up.

So... my answer after all this is that it could be a little bit rough, but I honestly don't think it's worse than being in a boat anywhere else. I'm a bit of a wimp on the water (can't swim) and if I didn't freak out, a normal person should be fine. :)

Dotti

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter