Which is the best option?

jf3kds

Earning My Ears
We are new to DVC, currently own 200pts SSR, want to purchase another 150pts AUL. My plan is to transfer the 200pts from SSR to AUL so we will have 350pts to get a 2 brs in Feb for AUL. Will try to have the same UY, so both can be in same membership.
Q1. Will this work for 11 months booking for AUL?
Q2. Should I buy all 150pts AUL or 100pts SSR + 50pts AUL?
Q3. If I buy (100+50) should I buy 50pts retail, since price impact is low and add extras benefits?
Q4. I heard DVC members cruise only available for retail pts but you can still choose to pay by $. Can resale owners join this event and pay $ too?
Thank you

1. No. Transfers don't change the home resort.

2. How often will you go to Hawaii?

3. You can buy as few as 25 points direct.

4. You only need a direct contract, no matter the size, to be eligible to book the member cruise with cash.

If you have both SSR, and AUL contracts, at 11 months I would book the weekends ( FRI, SAT, SUN) at AUL, at 7 months book the other nights with SSR. My experience with DVC is that weekends sell out quicker.

If you are buying AUL resale, I would look for a fully loaded contract.

How often will you travel to Hawaii?

Last edited:
You can only used your SSR points at AUL at 7 months prior to check in.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you all for your opinions. I don't think we will go to AUL every year but plan to go every other year.

We are new to DVC, currently own 200pts SSR, want to purchase another 150pts AUL. My plan is to transfer the 200pts from SSR to AUL so we will have 350pts to get a 2 brs in Feb for AUL. Will try to have the same UY, so both can be in same membership.
Q1. Will this work for 11 months booking for AUL?
Q2. Should I buy all 150pts AUL or 100pts SSR + 50pts AUL?
Q3. If I buy (100+50) should I buy 50pts retail, since price impact is low and add extras benefits?
Q4. I heard DVC members cruise only available for retail pts but you can still choose to pay by $. Can resale owners join this event and pay $ too?
Thank you
1. As PP mentioned, points will always retain their home priority, so you can only combine 200 SSR and 150 AUL pts for 350 pts at 7 months. What you can do is use banking and borrowing to get the 11 month advantage, so can combine 150 pts for 2017, 2018, and 2019 for up to 450 pts at AUL at 11 months.
2. As others have mentioned, depends on how often you're planning to visit AUL. If regularly every couple of years, then I would buy the 150 AUL, especially if you'll be going during busier times, such as summer or Christmas. Also, suggest you look for a contract with subsidized dues, which over the life of the contract, may be effectively cheaper than even SSR.
3. May be worthwhile to buy some direct points if you make use of the benefits (especially the annual passes and merchandise discounts). You should calculate the savings over the life of the contract to see if it's worthwhile to you. So, just an example, SSR 50 pts x $90 resale = $4,500 (+ approx $500 closing) vs. SSR 50 pts x $160 direct = $8,000 (+ approx $150 closing), so $3,150 difference. If you purchase annual passes every year for a family of 2-4, over a 36 year period, it's probably worth it. Keep in mind that smaller contracts are harder to find resale. Many resale owners have been buying retail 25 point add-ons for the benefits and membership card.
4. DVC members have access to member cruises only if they bought resale before March 2011 or direct, even if paying for the cruise by cash. And only points on those specific contracts can be applied to the cruise purchase. (There has been mention that someone not qualified was able to book the cruise and pay cash, but this is against the rules.)
Hope this helps and best wishes to you.

Thank you MouseOfCards. When I look into AUL, I haven't seen any contract with subsidized dues, will that mention on the resale site? Which reseller will you suggest? Since we have school age kids, most likely we can only go during school holidays.

Thank you MouseOfCards. When I look into AUL, I haven't seen any contract with subsidized dues, will that mention on the resale site? Which reseller will you suggest? Since we have school age kids, most likely we can only go during school holidays.
Most listings, but not all, will mention "subsidized dues". Not many available but they do show up every once in a while. Here's a couple currently available:

https://www.**********.com/dvc-resale-listings/aulani-hawaii-listing-9au16b/
http://www.**********.com/aulani-disney-resort-spa/unit/5000477

If the names don't show up, you can message me.

Thank you. I saw both, will keep on looking for the right UR and points.. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter