Which is better? Christmas party vs a 1 day pass

Kan

Earning My Ears
I am new to this so if I do this wrong please forgive me. I'm just trying to get some help with budgeting our upcoming December trip. I would like to go to the Christmas party but it's almost as much as paying for another day pass. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me their opinion as to which is a better option. Feeling lost and indecisive:(

Which park ticket do you currently have? Because adding a day to that park ticket (which you can do at any Guest Relations window at the theme parks) will be a lot less money than paying for the party ticket.

Yes party ticket prices are hard to swallow when you already bought tickets and can add an extra day for a fraction of the party ticket cost.

We usually don't get park hoppers, and on our first trip we used the party ticket as a sort of park hopper. We did half day at a park we needed just a little bit more time on, then went to MK halfway through the day. Remember although the party begins at 7pm you can start entering at 4pm.

Having done both Christmas and Halloween parties, we will hold off for going back for quite a while when the kids are all old enough to actually remember it. They were ok, if you're on a budget I'd pass on the party.

Last edited:
My family went to the third from last MVMCP last year, and it sold out the day before the party. It was a bit crowded between 4pm when we could first enter the park and 7pm when those without party wristbands were kicked out. But after 7pm, even with a sold-out party, we had so much elbow room across the park, it's was rather amazing. Main Street and the area in front of the castle were relatively crowded with all of the activity, but not so much that we couldn't get a nice spot right on the parade route. This year, guests without a MVMCP pass are asked to leave starting at 6pm, so it should be even better.

I would like to go to the Christmas party but it's almost as much as paying for another day pass. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me their opinion as to which is a better option.

As far as cost goes, the MVMCP ticket is $109 on a peak night for access to the park from 4pm to midnight, or 8 hours at $13.63/hr. A single day ticket is $139 for a peak day, where a typical family might spend 12 hours (assuming they don't hit rope drop and stay right to midnight), or $11.58/hr. So you're paying a bit of an hourly premium with an MVMCP ticket to have access to the MK with greatly reduced crowds, next to no wait times for most rides, a variety of special shows, and free cookies. Of course, if you've bought a package of tickets for a week, and your average ticket price is $60/day, then the MVMCP ticket does look substantially more expensive in comparison.

So, is it worth it? Yes for my family, and no for others. But, we are definitely looking forward to returning this year for the Dec 21st party. And if you don't go to a MVMCP, and instead you spend a normal day at MK, you're still having a great day. So, there should be no stress/indecision about skipping the party.

I currently have a two day pass. I was going to either add another day to it or pay for the party. we're only going to be there three days. I guess I'm wondering is the party worth giving up the extra hours you would get with a full day pass?

I do like the hopper idea.

I really appreciate the help

I think it depends on your style of touring. We did a party because we never did it before. It was one of our least liked experiences of the trip. It was super crowded, pretzels were even sold out, CMs were disorganized in regards to crowd control and directing crowds. Shuffling through the bridges and certain zones with room barely to breathe was absolutely awful.

I had been Wondering about the crowds at the party. My husband is not a fan of crowds. So in your experience, the crowds aren't too bad? How are the lines for rides? As you obviously are a repeat customer to the parties, you must enjoy them.

Neverlandsky can you please tell me when you went to the party? If I put my husband in that type of situation, I would hear about it for weeks. We are going first week of Dec. I'm hoping for less crowds.

I think it might depend on your likes. The party is a different parade, different fireworks, a stage show, some cookies and hot chocolate and sometimes quicker access to the rides. From what I've heard the meet and greets still get long lines. In over 30 years of going to WDW we have never attended any of the parties. Neither my son or I am big on parades or stage shows, we will stop and watch both if we are passing by but don't go out of our way to see them. With the new projection fireworks I'm SOL because I'm height challenged and don't have a Daddy to hold me on their shoulders so I can see around the kid being held on the Daddy's shoulder in front of me. We rarely eat cookies and frankly for what the party costs, we can buy them for much less. With FP and standby, we have never not been able to ride something we want to ride during regular hours. So for us, nope, not worth the cost. Now, if you enjoy parades, shows, FW and the "free" cookies, it might be.

I had been Wondering about the crowds at the party. My husband is not a fan of crowds. So in your experience, the crowds aren't too bad? How are the lines for rides? As you obviously are a repeat customer to the parties, you must enjoy them.
I've never been to a WDW Christmas party, but have read accounts of them sometimes being crowded. So the possibility is there, fyi. Probably not the entire park being crowded, but the main areas where the party activities are. The party sounds like fun, though. I'd go if I were at WDW at the right time. Also, people regularly report being able to get into MK at 4pm with their Christmas party tickets.

its much cheaper to add a third day than the party night so I'd just add another day to the pass

For last year's trip, we flew into MCO in the early afternoon on a Sunday, had a late lunch ADR and did MVMCP that evening. This allowed us to set up 3 FP+ between 4-7pm for MK. (This year I think the limit for FP+ was between 4-6pm - so probably only 2 FP+ now). We only had 4 day park tickets that trip and were leaving on the Friday. Also DW was set on getting pictures with some character that you can only see during MVMCP.

I think the best time to do MVMCP is on a travel day when you are going to WDW but won't be arriving until the afternoon. If you plan to arrive to WDW in the morning, and aren't swayed by the activities and features exclusive to party nights, then adding a day is best.

Last edited:
Neverlandsky can you please tell me when you went to the party? If I put my husband in that type of situation, I would hear about it for weeks. We are going first week of Dec. I'm hoping for less crowds.
We did MNSSHP on a Tuesday 10/17. We too we’re hoping for less crowds. Yet it was something we never did before and wanted to do. I think if we could rewind time, we would of rather added park hoppers with water parks for the price and still save money. Yet how would we know if we didn’t go to the party and have that experience. With our experience and reading others it seems that parties are either a hit or miss. Unfortunately for us, it was a miss. Yet it was also bucket list type of experience. Glad we did it because we now know it’s not for us.

What days of the week are you going?
It can make a big difference. For instance if you are coming for a Friday - Sun trip then there would only be one non party night at MK and that would be Saturday. With that being on the weekend, and the only chance to see the evening entertainment on a non party night, MK will most likely be very crowded. Party nights would also tend to be more crowded during the weekend vs weeknights. Just things to keep in mind.

I currently have a two day pass. I was going to either add another day to it or pay for the party. we're only going to be there three days. I guess I'm wondering is the party worth giving up the extra hours you would get with a full day pass?

I do like the hopper idea.

I really appreciate the help

The cost of a two-day to a three-day is almost the same as the cost of a party ticket (within $10-15). If it were me, I'd do the party. Use your two-day ticket to do two other parks, tour the resorts on party day, and then enjoy the party from 4:00 on. You're in an almost perfect situation to do the party without spending much more money. You are the only one who can decide if the party is worth it, and you really can't decide unless you try it. I say, TRY IT!!

Having done both, I prefer a regular MK ticket. The party (while any time in the Magic Kingdom is fun) IMHO was way too crowded. And I am a rope drop person and those first two hours are heavenly with very low crowds. At the party only my last ride of the night had a super short line. // A negative, though, is that with so many parties, non party days that offer fireworks are pretty crowded, so that's something to consider too.

I think the party might appeal to people that are really into the characters, as there are some there that you normally don't see. If that is something you'd really enjoy, then maybe the party. We aren't into the characters, though. The hot chocolate and cookies were meh. Really and truly I wasn't very impressed and neither was the rest of my family.

Last edited:
If you think you can last the whole party (4 pm - midnight), I would consider it. If you won't be able to maximize the party time, I would just add a day to your ticket.

Keep in mind that at this time of year, if you go only for the Christmas party, with entrance beginning at 4pm, and choose to have that be your only visit to Magic Kingdom, that means you won't be seeing the park in the daylight. I think that would bum me out, personally, but for some, it might not matter!

Few of my observations regarding Christmas party vs. non party:

1. Crowds for non party days that include EMH are extremely crowded. Disney by virtue has selected what days will be busy by deciding when to offer the most operating hours. These days by a long shot will be most crowded.
2. Crowds seem to subside after the fireworks regardless of party vs non party day. If you can last energy wise to 10pm the park will start clearing out. This is the optimal time to ride your favorites
3. Be aware that EMH and party days are not 100% operational. Meaning many concession stands, rides, etc close. Which has always been a pet peave.

To me it becomes a trade...have more hours in the park and deal with increased crowds. Or settle for less time with less crowds knowing some of the attractions won’t be open. Both have there benefits

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter