Which grocery stores offer precooked Thanksgiving dinners? Any experience with this?

disneydenisel

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I am trying to feed 13 people on Thanksgiving at WDW. Going out to eat at a buffet will be expensive, and my kids, 3 and 6, will probably not want to stay seated. So my sisters have suggested ordering a precooked dinner from a local grocery store. The other option would be to cook, but that would end up being MY job (staying at BCV), and I don't really want to cook.

Has anyone had experience ordering a dinner from the local stores, and if so, which ones? Thanks for your help!

I work at a Shaws supermarket here in massachusetts and we sell premade holiday dinners.... knowing the behind the scenes production of these dinners I can honestlyt say they are very good! The turkeys are cooked in the rotteserie oven and they are super moist!... njot sure if there are shaws in FL but we also are under the Albertsons name as well.... hope this helps :cool1:

How are you going to fit 13 people AND food into your room?

-- Eric :earsboy:

We have done this the last 3 years for our Holiday weekend visit with our friends. We have ordered our dinner from Publix and found it very good! It included a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy and we picked up pie/

While we were staying at the BVCs, our friends were at Ft Wilderness in a cabin and it was much easier to cook (you WILL have to warm the turkey for about 2 hours and reheat the side dishes) and feed the crowd there.

pinnie

Publix is by far the greatest grocery chain in the South. Their prepared food is restaurant quality. You will not regret ordering from Publix.

:goodvibes

Publix is very good - I've never been disapointed by their quality.

Another option you could consider would be getting everything from a restaurant such as Sonnys BBQ. The one closest to us is offering whole holiday meals from now till New Years. I don't see a menu on the site, but the one I saw in a Sonnys looked really good. (And despite the fact that it is a barbeque place, the choices were either turkey or ham, plus sides.)

Publix put a flyer in our grocery bag today. They have several Thanksgiving options.

They have a Boar's Head Oven Roasted Turkey Dinner with an oven roasted turkey breast, cranberry orange relish, and choice of two sides. Serves 7-8 for 39.99.

Boar's Head Prime Rib Roast Beef Dinner Serves 6-7 for 59.99. It includes the roast, au jus, and 2 sides.

Boar's Head ham dinner: ham, 2 sides, and glaze for 39.99 serves 9-10.

The Publix Turkey Dinner that serves 7-8 (Not Boar's Head meat) is available for less money- "Market Price." It requires heating before serving, though.

Sides:
Pasta Carbonara
Sauteed Spinach with garlic and peppers
Candied wild rice
Orzo with roasted vegetables
Apple Pecan Stuffing
Fried Onion Mashed Potatoes
Herb Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Homesyle mashed potatoes
Sweet potato Casserole
Creamed Spinach
Old Fashioned Holiday Stuffing
Corn Casserole
Broccoli Au Gratin
Red Skin Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I have been looking for something for home. We are due anyday with our ds any day, but I don't want dd to miss out on thanksgiving dinner. There is one store that does it but the sides do not sound that good.

Hi everyone, and thanks for the ideas. I don't know how we will fit 13 in our villa, any ideas? My sister is staying off site in a 3-bedroom villa at HGVC...I suppose we could eat there instead of the Beach Club Villas?

Thanks for posting the ad details from Publix..those prices sound pretty good. I wonder if we would need to order TWO dinners for 13 people, or just one and maybe some sides. Our 13 people include my kids, 3 and 6, who probably won't eat much.

Has anyone ever tried delivery from Boston Market? They can deliver hot food to your door for a $30 charge. We wouldn't need to heat it up (well, maybe a little, since they close at 2pm and have to deliver it before dinnertime).

Any thoughts?

I just reserved a large turkey dinner at Publix. It was $59.99 for a turkey that feeds 14-16 people. We will have to pick it up on Wednesday before Thanksgiving since they close on Thanksgiving Day. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I would do Boston Market. I have not done delivery from them, and sadly they have closed down in my area. But...we did a precooked dinner 2 years ago. Yuck. I was newly pregnant with my 2nd dd, and I could not even look at raw poultry. I could eat it fine, but just the thought of touching a raw turkey sent me running to the bathroom. We bought the dinner at one of the gourmet grocery stores, and it was awful. Tough, dry, salty, tasteless sides, gross piecrust... No one would eat it, and we tossed the whole thing less the few bites we tried.

Fortunately, I was able to cook by Christmas, and we had our turkey dinner then. :goodvibes

Another vote for Publix here. Their prepared food is very, very good. I should know -- we eat it all the time. I am in metro-Atlanta (not Florida), but the Publix chain is consistant in quality.

Where are you eating during the rest of your trip. Thanksgiving dinner at WDW is no more expensive than any other day of the year. I think Trails End at Fort Wilderness is a little less expensive than most other places for Thanksgiving dinner. We've also eaten at Whispering Canyons at Wilderness Lodge and it was good food and, I think, the same price as their normal dinner. My kids are 2 & 5 and they do ok sitting through it.

Sonny's BarBQue was a good suggestion also. We always go there at least once while at WDW. I have had a lot of BBQ across the country, and Sonny's is one of the very best.

ApolloSaturnV said:
Publix is by far the greatest grocery chain in the South. Their prepared food is restaurant quality. You will not regret ordering from Publix.

:goodvibes

I second that! :earsgirl: If you don't wish to try Publix, then I would take your gang to Trails End at the Fort Wilderness campground. They are doing a Thanksgiving buffet for a decent price. :dog2:

Trail's End is good, as is Publix and Sonny's. Either one you choose you will most definately be satisfied.

Have fun!

I know I'm chiming in late, but Kentucky Fried Chicken would be another option similar to Boston Market. They have a variety of chicken for every taste (grilled breasts to double heavy coating) and a variety of side dishes. Maybe call them to see about delivery details. Our local KFC doesn't close at all on that day. :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

My vote is Publix. We have it every year since we have moved to Florida. We love it. It's better then any turkey I would ever cook.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter