Which Entrance Line is the *magic* short one?

Question: I've gone to use the "planter gate" and found that the line to the right of it is coming up and using both planter gate and it's neighbor (one line that splits to whichever gate opens first).

What's the etiquette? Am I allowed to walk right up to planter gate even if de facto people are waiting in line for it....and ignore that it's being used that way?

As you know (and as you commented in another thread recently), etiquette and "rules" are often interpreted in whatever way benefits the real or imagined interests of the interpreter.

Your question reminded me of a Judith Martin (Miss Manners) column earlier this year. The letter writer posed the same question, but about lines in general. Miss Manners responded that it was up to the business how to handle lines (which would mean, at Disneyland it's a separate line for every gate). But she also said that when it's ambiguous, the first person there decides, and others should defer to her. That only sort of applies here, since it's not really an ambiguous situation when every other gate has its own line.

I would walk up and use the "planter gate" and say somewhat loudly to whoever is with me, "Hey, there's no line here." It might slightly annoy whoever is next up in the dual line, but a few of those who are behind him (and paying attention) are likely to fill in behind you, forming an actual line there, and expediting things for everyone.

I looked up that column. Here it is:
https://www.uexpress.com/miss-manners/2019/1/23/navigating-the-dreaded-ambiguous-checkout-line

Question: I've gone to use the "planter gate" and found that the line to the right of it is coming up and using both planter gate and it's neighbor (one line that splits to whichever gate opens first).

What's the etiquette? Am I allowed to walk right up to planter gate even if de facto people are waiting in line for it....and ignore that it's being used that way?

I typically just get in the long line that splits. It ends up going so fast it isn’t a big deal and you can usually avoid the uncomfortability of trying to stick yourself in there.

I wondered this too. During our last trip, we stood in the dual line until it reached the planter. The planter gate was clearly in reach, however, the people in front of us were staggered in such a way that we couldn't walk up to it. I pointed out the two gates to the person in front of me and asked, "Which line are you going to?" She was an AP (as am I) and was quite surprised at my desire to head to the planter gate line and replied, "This is one line and we'll go when it's our turn." :rolleyes: I pointed that there were actually two gates ahead open, but she was very determined to stay put and make sure no one behind her made their way to that gate until she thought it was time to split. My daughter had to pee, so any little time saved made a difference to me, but I don't understand why it made a difference to her! :confused3

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter