Which Deluxe????

elizabetforrest

Earning My Ears
My sweet fiancé and I are trying to choose a resort for our January honeymoon. We're spending the first night at AKL because we love the animals but don't want to spend the whole trip in such an isolated area. I think we've narrowed the remaining nights down to either the Poly, Contemporary, or Beach Club. Ordinarily it would be a no brainer because I've always wanted to stay at the Poly, but the construction rumors have us worried. We don't want to pay that price to be in the middle of extensive construction and have the resort lose some of it's magic. What are your suggestions on a good choice for a good mix between romance and fun?

I personally would choose YC because of its location, especially for an adult trip!! Being able to walk 5 minutes and be in the World Showcase for a drink or a nice meal is absolutely priceless, IMO.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! When it comes to deluxe hotels, there's no bad choice. I've been fortunate to stay in almost all of them, and all have their unique qualities as well as pros and cons. The Contemporary and Beach Club are very different themes and locations, so which appeals to you more? Also, how much does being on a monorail matters? January can be chilly, so you may not be able to use Beach Club's wonderful pool too often. Sometimes riding the boats can be chilly in January too. Also, what parks will you spend the most time in? If I can be of help, let me know.

It is not on your list but BLT.

you can walk to the MK - it has some great views.

of course some don't think it is romantic.

if you like AKV - then you might consider WL/VWL.
It is slightly cheaper than the ones you mentioned.

For a honeymoon, I'd say CR or somewhere on the monorail.

I think this is a win-win no matter what you pick!

We stayed at Poly which is perfect for romance and convenience. But I understand your construction concerns. We ate a BC last summer and we will be staying there next month. It looks absolutely beautiful and romantic and its such a pleasant stroll to World Showcase. I don't think you'd regret it and you can always go back and stay at Poly for an anniversary.

We've stayed at all four.

Personally, I would pick the AKL for the entire time...but we like the "secluded feeling."

Of the remaining three, I would put them in this order: Poly, Contemporary and lastly Beach Club. We've stayed Poly three times and love everything about it; we've stayed at Contemporary twice and while we have no desire to stay again, you can't beat the convenience of walking to the MK. I was not enthralled with the BC as many people are. The buses were the absolute worse of any resort we've ever stayed at.

Oh congrats! Have fun planning! We love BWI. The garden cottages are very special - perfect for honeymooners! But whatever you choose it will be wonderful

If you don't know which resort you prefer what about the location?

Which theme park will you want to spend the most time visiting? If it is the ML than go for the CR or WL. If you like Epcot and DHS then the BC or BWI would work better.

Lots of dining and entertainment in the Epcot area as well.
personally, I think that the Epcot area hotels are in a more adult and romantic area than the MK hotels (Poly excepted, of course)

I would pick AK the whole time as well. It is a beautiful resort. I don't find the commute to the parks that bad. Of the others I would choose Poly or Beach Club for the theme and location. CR just isn't my taste.

Wow. Thanks so much for all of the insight. For those of you recommending AKL for the entire stay, do you remember approximately how long it took you on average to get to the various parks. We do love that resort we were just worried it would really cut into park time, etc.

Wow. Thanks so much for all of the insight. For those of you recommending AKL for the entire stay, do you remember approximately how long it took you on average to get to the various parks. We do love that resort we were just worried it would really cut into park time, etc.

We stayed at AKL once, cured us of that resort... It "is" out there...just was not our cup of tea for one night or a week...

Poly is nice but too expensive especially is construction might be going on and with all the outsiders walking thru and around... Not very peaceful...

Spiceycat mentioned WL or WLV.... That would be my pick. We enjoy the theming, atmosphere and ambiance of the Lodge... A little off the beaten path so outsiders are at a minimum ... Check it out, a deluxe without the high cost, in the MK area, on Bay Lake, boat ride to MK and FW and CR , you won't be sorry !

AKL is aprox 10 min further than other resorts when going to Epcot, MK, and HS. However it doesnt share a resort so it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. and its next door to AK:-) the atmosphere is great and secluded. If you want night life and proximity I would look at Boardwalk it happens to be my second choice in resorts , right after AKL.

Wow you listed some of the best options so you can't go wrong. Having said that if MK is your favorite go with CR given the Poly will be under construction. If you enjoy EC and the food than BC is your spot.

Also, WL is a great option as well even though that wasn't on your list.

I would go with WL also. We were there last year and loved it. We went to Poly and CR while we were there, and even looked at the rooms. We liked WL better than either, plus it is a little cheaper. I think it is a romantic resort. It feels sort of secluded, yet it is a very short boat ride away from MK and from there you can take the Monorail to Epcot. Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time!

Congrats! DH and I spent our honeymoon at the Beach Club and loved it. It's a perfect location if you go to Epcot and HS a lot. There are also several restaurants between the YC/BC and the Boardwalk.

Unless you want to walk to Epcot or MK, I wouldn't worry about time to get to parks. If you have to take transportation to get somewhere, the length of time of the ride is only part of the equation. How long you wait for the bus/boat/monorail is part of the issue, plus the time it takes for you to get to the transportation stop from your room. Therefore, AKL takes no longer to get anywhere than other resorts, and is often quicker. I've stayed at Kidani and Jambo 4 time so far, and it is no worse than anywhere else. If the bus comes immediately, the ride to MK is 20 minutes. I've had to wait 20 minutes for buses from WL, take a 3 stop boat ride from BW, and walk, take an escalator, then wait for the monorail at CR and GF. Also, AKL doesn't share buses with other resorts. Transportation at AKL isn't an issue, so don't let it impact your decision if this is where you really want to stay.

If you need any specific info on AKL, check out the separate thread, the DVC Resorts thread, or message me. I've been going there since 2008.

Marie
DVC Member AKV, BLT

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter