Which Dawes Glacier Excursion to book? Early or late

Dizney73

DIS Veteran
We are super excited to be on the Wonder for our first time this summer! My husband and I have been to Alaska twice before and have visited both Hubbard and Margerie glaciers. Our kids (14 and 11) have never been to Alaska and are great travelers. We DID choose DCL to cruise the inside passage based on our love of Disney and because we ABSOLUTELY WANT to see the Disney characters dressed in their Alaskan outfits. We do not want to miss the opportunity to capture photos of them on Endicott arm day while on deck.

That said, I have watched and read many reviews of the Dawes Glacier Excursion and know that we will book this excursion for our family to get an up close view of the glacier! Most all reviews recommend booking the first excursion to get ahead of the ship, see wildlife and then watch as the Wonder comes into view. Most also say that they missed out on some character time on the ship. I see very few people reviewing the second excursion slot. I would think this excursion would allow us the time to see the characters on board AND see the glacier up close.
We do have second seating dining so we will not miss dinner if we choose the second slot. BUT spending so much money on this excursion we want the best experience!

Is the weather better on the early excursion? Is there more wildlife to view on the first excursion? Will we miss the characters if we choose the first excursion? Is there any reason to NOT book the second excursion?

What are your thoughts and experiences? Which excursion should we book?

We did the Dawes Glacier excursion last year and loved it!! We were in the second group/second slot. I don't know how it was for the first group, but we had great weather (cold, though), saw several seals, and even saw a baby seal being born on an iceberg. I just don't remember all that we were doing before the excursion, but I do know that we got photos at some point with the characters in their Alaskan outfits. Also, we thought it was really cool to see the Wonder as we pulled away from it - we got a lot of great pictures of the ship! It seemed that it kind of hung out there for a few minutes because we were able to get those great photos. What we also liked was that we had a verandah room and were able to really enjoy the scenery before our excursion. So, in answer to your question, I don't know of any reason not to book the second excursion! (And, additionally, we had first seating for dinner and that didn't cause us any problems, either.)

We did the Dawes Glacier excursion last year and loved it!! We were in the second group/second slot. I don't know how it was for the first group, but we had great weather (cold, though), saw several seals, and even saw a baby seal being born on an iceberg. I just don't remember all that we were doing before the excursion, but I do know that we got photos at some point with the characters in their Alaskan outfits. Also, we thought it was really cool to see the Wonder as we pulled away from it - we got a lot of great pictures of the ship! It seemed that it kind of hung out there for a few minutes because we were able to get those great photos. What we also liked was that we had a verandah room and were able to really enjoy the scenery before our excursion. So, in answer to your question, I don't know of any reason not to book the second excursion! (And, additionally, we had first seating for dinner and that didn't cause us any problems, either.)
Thank you so much for your reply! I am really leaning towards booking the later excursion time unless someone can persuade me otherwise. Did the Wonder leave the glacier area while you were there?

Thank you so much for your reply! I am really leaning towards booking the later excursion time unless someone can persuade me otherwise. Did the Wonder leave the glacier area while you were there?
Yes, the Wonder did leave the glacier area - but, it was there for a few minutes which allowed us to get some great pictures of it.

Yes, the Wonder did leave the glacier area - but, it was there for a few minutes which allowed us to get some great pictures of it.
Thank you! That is exactly what I hoped! I just don't want to miss those character interactions on deck... crazy right? I appreciate your feedback!

We did the first group for this excursion and we saw eagles and a baby seal. We also ended up with some great photos of the Wonder with the glacier in the background. Once we got back on the ship we were able to get several of the characters in their Alaskan wear, specifically Mickey Mouse on Deck 9 with the glacier in the background. I do remember that we did miss several of the characters being outside, but Mickey was our priority so it worked for us. If characters in their Alaskan wear with the glacier in the background are important the second slot may be better for you. But the characters in their Alaskan wear INSIDE do appear several days and times throughout the cruise. We had the opportunity to get any and all of them if we chose to.

We did the early excursion and thought it was amazing travelling along the fjord towards the glacier while the Wonder was doing the same. We got some great photos of the ship through the fjords, and we ended up arriving before she did so we got some “time alone” with the glacier. Then some more great shots as the Wonder approached.

I can’t say for sure, but I “feel“like we got more actual time in the front of the glacier than the second excursion boat. But that‘s probably just a trick of time perception on my part.

Aby

We did the first group for this excursion and we saw eagles and a baby seal. We also ended up with some great photos of the Wonder with the glacier in the background. Once we got back on the ship we were able to get several of the characters in their Alaskan wear, specifically Mickey Mouse on Deck 9 with the glacier in the background. I do remember that we did miss several of the characters being outside, but Mickey was our priority so it worked for us. If characters in their Alaskan wear with the glacier in the background are important the second slot may be better for you. But the characters in their Alaskan wear INSIDE do appear several days and times throughout the cruise. We had the opportunity to get any and all of them if we chose to.
I know It is silly that I am putting so much of this decision on those characters out on deck...but when you see the ads for the dcl Alaska Cruise that is what you see!
Thanks for letting me know. I'm still debating. It just seems that everyone who loves this tour did the non excursion! I have to decide by the end of the month!

We did the early excursion and thought it was amazing travelling along the fjord towards the glacier while the Wonder was doing the same. We got some great photos of the ship through the fjords, and we ended up arriving before she did so we got some “time alone” with the glacier. Then some more great shots as the Wonder approached.

I can’t say for sure, but I “feel“like we got more actual time in the front of the glacier than the second excursion boat. But that‘s probably just a trick of time perception on my part.

Aby
Hmmm... I think that glacier time might be what I am worried about. I can see that by hour 6 the guides just want to get back home!

Resurrecting this post as we prepare for take 3 of our Alaskan cruise. I really want to do this excursion, but we do have early dining. I also would like to see Mickey and Minnie (at least) up on deck with the natural background. I know characters do meet at other times, but I'm afraid if we take the later one we'll miss dinner. (I'd rather eat a huge brunch then miss dinner I think?). Does anyone have experience with early dining and this excursion?

Resurrecting this post as we prepare for take 3 of our Alaskan cruise. I really want to do this excursion, but we do have early dining. I also would like to see Mickey and Minnie (at least) up on deck with the natural background. I know characters do meet at other times, but I'm afraid if we take the later one we'll miss dinner. (I'd rather eat a huge brunch then miss dinner I think?). Does anyone have experience with early dining and this excursion?

Yes. We did the first excursion of the day, and missed lunch. We ate a late and large breakfast and some poolside food before we left. The excursion did include some donuts and coffee when we did it, which was not advertised on the DCL Port Adventures page.We got back around 4:30pm onto the Wonder, and had early dining and went to dinner. We were able to squeeze in one picture with Mickey on the top deck before we pulled away from the glacier, but we made it a priority. Mickey and Minnie were no longer meeting by the time we got back. We did get pictures with all the other characters in their Alaskan gear around the Atrium with no issue the rest of the afternoon, evening. If you take the later excursion, you will miss dinner.

This all depends on the Wonders scheduled time to go to Dawes glacier. On our trip, we were the first ship of the day I believe.

For us missing characters and the then top deck lunch BBQ was well worth the experience of the Port Adventure. We got plenty of cute character pictures inside later, and when you ask me about Alaska, I talk about the glaciers we saw, not Mickey in his outfit- which is awesome though, and I do love the picture we have with him.

I've heard of people asking if they can attend late dinning for a night if they have a scheduling conflict. It is up to the servers if they can do it, but it may be worth asking about onboard if you would be OK with a plan B if they say no.

I've heard of people asking if they can attend late dinning for a night if they have a scheduling conflict. It is up to the servers if they can do it, but it may be worth asking about onboard if you would be OK with a plan B if they say no.

interesting. Definitely good food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

I went on the second excursion and my husband took the first, and we swapped the kids. I took the kids to see Alaska Minnie while he went on his excursion, we would have missed her if we had been on it because her line was the longest. However, I think pics with other characters on the deck were available later, like Goofy. We had booked Palo for dinner this evening because it was the Frozen night menu, if I remember correctly. The kids ate dinner in the club/nursery, but we also got them some food from room service so we didn't drop them off hungry.

Oh, and to OP's question, my husband saw a lot of seals on the floating ice but I didn't see a single one! But I did see the glacier calve several times, and he didn't, at least not from the close distance of the excursion boat.

Yes. We did the first excursion of the day, and missed lunch. We ate a late and large breakfast and some poolside food before we left. The excursion did include some donuts and coffee when we did it, which was not advertised on the DCL Port Adventures page.We got back around 4:30pm onto the Wonder, and had early dining and went to dinner. We were able to squeeze in one picture with Mickey on the top deck before we pulled away from the glacier, but we made it a priority. Mickey and Minnie were no longer meeting by the time we got back. We did get pictures with all the other characters in their Alaskan gear around the Atrium with no issue the rest of the afternoon, evening. If you take the later excursion, you will miss dinner.

This all depends on the Wonders scheduled time to go to Dawes glacier. On our trip, we were the first ship of the day I believe.

For us missing characters and the then top deck lunch BBQ was well worth the experience of the Port Adventure. We got plenty of cute character pictures inside later, and when you ask me about Alaska, I talk about the glaciers we saw, not Mickey in his outfit- which is awesome though, and I do love the picture we have with him.

Thank you for this feedback. I am ok missing lunch. We'll bring some snacks with us, maybe uncrustables and we normally bring some snacks on board for us in case the kids want them so we can bring something to tide us over. If I eat a big brunch I'll likely be ok without lunch. If we could even squeeze in one picture I think it would be worth it. It's rough wanting to have our cake and eat it too! ;)

I went on the second excursion and my husband took the first, and we swapped the kids. I took the kids to see Alaska Minnie while he went on his excursion, we would have missed her if we had been on it because her line was the longest. However, I think pics with other characters on the deck were available later, like Goofy. We had booked Palo for dinner this evening because it was the Frozen night menu, if I remember correctly. The kids ate dinner in the club/nursery, but we also got them some food from room service so we didn't drop them off hungry.

My one son is obsessed with animals so I do like the idea of the early excursion and seeing a lot of marine life on the way to glacier. I've been looking at past Navigators to see the timing of things too. At least I have a year to decide!

We did the early morning excursion. Missed lunch and arrived back hungry, so definitely bring snacks. No characters were around for pictures when we got back, sadly. DSC_0699 2_hq.jpgWe did not see any wildlife, but did see glacial calving. And it rained- it poured. Be dressed for the weather. This excursion was amazing!

Last edited:
We have booked the second Dawes Glacier excursion because it was all we could get and we are torn about missing the Frozen night menu. Does something special happen at the Frozen themed dinner? Or is it just a different menu? We are okay with just eating something at Cabanas when we get back unless it's a super special night in the dining room that should not be missed.

We have booked the second Dawes Glacier excursion because it was all we could get and we are torn about missing the Frozen night menu. Does something special happen at the Frozen themed dinner? Or is it just a different menu? We are okay with just eating something at Cabanas when we get back unless it's a super special night in the dining room that should not be missed.
It’s just the frozen theme menu, no show in the dining room. As of May 22nd though cabana’s is not yet serving dinner so your option are room service or pool deck quick serve.

It’s just the frozen theme menu, no show in the dining room. As of May 22nd though cabana’s is not yet serving dinner so your option are room service or pool deck quick serve.
Also was surprised to find that Pinocchio's Pizza was closed daily from 6:30 (It was either 6:00 or 6:30, I can't remember) until after 9:00pm. So you are limited to Petes Boiler Bites for "dinner" options after 6pm because Daisy's closes around 6:00pm and as you said no Canbana's for dinner yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter