which credit card rewards?

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
Sorry, I have asked this before but can't seem to find the old info. I am closing my current account and want something that I can really start racking up rewards with. Sorry but I don't want the Disney one, it is too limiting. I really want something that gives me travel rewards as we have started travelling alot with our kids and I am totally bitten by the travel bug!! What does everyone have and how quick do your rewards pile up?
Thanks so much!

We love Priority Club Visa, from Holiday Inn. We stay in alot of the Holiday Inn EXPRESS locations (NOT the regular Holiday Inn) because they're newer, fresher and cleaner, and include a very good expanded continental breakfast.

Also check out Choice, which includes Comfort, Quality and Sleep Inns, and Hilton Honors, which includes Hampton Inn and Doubletree.

BTW, and FYI for other unsuspecting consumers:

We also tried the Disney Visa and used one of their checks for a major purchase, NOT realizing reward points are NOT given! Grrrr...my mistake not realizing this but i was soo angry at myself!! We could have gotten lots of points using another card.

rockin_rep said:
BTW, and FYI for other unsuspecting consumers:

We also tried the Disney Visa and used one of their checks for a major purchase, NOT realizing reward points are NOT given! Grrrr...my mistake not realizing this but i was soo angry at myself!! We could have gotten lots of points using another card.

Are you sure about getting Rewards points for using another card's courtesy checks? Usually these are considered cash advances and do not qualify for Rewards.

I'm looking for a new one too! I have the Disney "Chase" one and it takes forever to rack up $$.

I picked up the brochure for the Toy's R Us one this weekend and I think it said 5% in rewards.

I have the Disney Visa and I have been very lucky - no problems and we have accumulated over $800 in Rewards over the years. :cool1:

But recently, I started using the Citibank card that gives 5% back in CASH for gas, groceries, and pharmacy purchases and 1% for everything else - up to $300 a year. Once I get to the $300 threshold, I will start using my Disney Card again. ::yes::

I'm trying to look out for one as well. We currently have the American Airlines one, but since they charge an annual fee, we realized that if DH doesn't travel much for business that year, by the time we rack up enough miles to fly, we could have purchased a ticket with what the fees cost us :)

I saw that Bank of America has a credit card that allows points to accrue which you can trade in several different ways: airline tickets, hotels, gift certificates, shopping, etc. It didn't have an annual fee. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it though. I think Chase and Citibank might have similar type cards, so I would just go to their websites and do some research. Sorry I can't be more specific on the names of the cards, but I know I saw them there. I just like the flexibility a little more of not being locked into one type of reward.

BethR said:
I have the Disney Visa and I have been very lucky - no problems and we have accumulated over $800 in Rewards over the years. :cool1:

But recently, I started using the Citibank card that gives 5% back in CASH for gas, groceries, and pharmacy purchases and 1% for everything else - up to $300 a year. Once I get to the $300 threshold, I will start using my Disney Card again. ::yes::

This sounds just like my situation, last year I had over 700 on the Disney Visa, and this year I have over 300 so far. I have also already recieved my 300 cash back from my Citicard so I am using Disney Visa only right now. We always pay the balance in full otherwise it would not be worth it.

The days of charges with no incentives are gone in my opinion.

I absolutely LOVE my American Airlines card by CITI, not only are they CR friendly and knowledgeable they often run specials like “every purchased at grocery store, pharmacy, gas station earns double rewards” etc. Yes like the other poster said there is an annual fee. We charge EVERYTHING on it and pay it off in full every month. We had this card since December of last year and right now we have enough points to fly us from Boston to Orlando for free. I will keep on saving the points until we can finance the whole AAVacation for free.

keep them coming guys! Does anyone have the marriott card? We love marriott properties and they are pricey, so I thought maybe earning rewards there would help. On another thread at one time someone had said that she thought the hotel points were better to get because you can often find cheap airline tix, but not hotels. What do you think of that? Also, anyone using that capital one no hassle they advertise all the time?

We have a Citibank Upromise card. Since 2001 we have earned over $500 in CASH for our kids to put into their college funds. I don't go out of my way to shop at participating retailers, but luckily we seem to use them often enough for the pennies to rack up! I recently linked it to the kids' 529 plans so each quarter the $ we earn gets dumped directly into their accounts and is invested in mutual funds. Before I did this I would send them a letter once in a while asking for a withdrawal, and they would send me a check. Of course, I deposited the funds into the kids accounts, but technically you could just cash the check. It makes saving for college really simple, and motivates you to add even more $ to the 529 accounts.

I just applied for a Disney Visa also. Hoping to get some free stuff!

:banana:

I've had the Choice Hotel reward card for a few months and already earned 1 free night thru the opening promotion and 1 thru points earned. I also just applied for a seamiles cc to start earning points towards a free cruise (can also be used for airfare or cruise discounts & upgrades) to start saving up for the family cruises we're planning for our children's graduation gifts. I got that one to replace my Disney Visa which we won't need after our trip this year since we have no other plans for WDW.

Calie

I use (and like) my Discover Card alot. They pay 1% on purchases (except Wal-mart) and then I redeem $20 cash back for a $25 Red Lobster GC. They also have a Gas card that earns 5% on the first $1500 and 3% on the next $1500 of Gas purchases. The best part is I rarely have any trouble with thier CS dept. Seems they are always trying to do what's best for me, the customer. I can't say that about Disney Visa.

My vote is for Capital One...it gets me my airfare to Dis (it has lots of other rewards but I never use them)

I am in NJ so my "zone" is the east coast - I can go anywhere from Maine to Florida and as far west as Tennesse (according to the nice rep I just called). It is 18000 points aka $18,000 in charges. Must have a Saturday stay and be purchased 21 days in advance. You pay $10 in "tax" and can pay a $25 fee if you don't want a Saturday stay. I always use Travelocity, find the schedule I like best and as long as the ticket is under $370 it's mine. I call and give specifics - USAir, flight #x, on x day and returning, etc. If it's published air it's yours. If it goes slightly over ($390 ticket) you can pay the $20 extra.

I can go anywhere in the US for 25,000 miles with a $500 ticket max. North America is 35,000 and $700 max. Tokyo (for my dream vacation to TokyoSea) is 75,000 points to $1500. Not worth it since I can get air for under $800 and first class is about $1500 but the price can only be for coach Sorry, I'm degressing.

It's really a great program and has truly proven to be "no hassles" as the commercials advertise. I was pretty skeptical but have been very successful. (No blackout dates etc.)

cynjam said:
I use (and like) my Discover Card alot. They pay 1% on purchases (except Wal-mart) ...

Are you sure that you get 1% immediately on purchases? I just got my Discover bill today and on $78 in purchases, I only got $.20! :( I know that I don't use it much - primarily for purchases at Sam's Club, so I think that is why we don't get the full 1%.
I would rather use a card that gives me 1% from the get go! :)

The promotion through Choice Hotels is get their Visa card and receive enough points for 2 free nights. Gotta apply and make your first credit card purchase by Nov. 1
We are loving our card. Got a free night scheduled for Daytona Beach oceanfront and another for our road trip down to Disney. The last time we used reward points for a free room, we got a 1 bed suite with huge whirlpool tub and kitchen.
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en...s?sid=jFn0g.uiIcggMK9g.4&ref=Rewards+Programs

We also have the Citibank Dividend Platinum Select for the 5% cash rebate on gas, groceries and pharmacy (limit of $300 in rewards per calendar year)

Both have served us well.

BethR said:
Are you sure that you get 1% immediately on purchases? I just got my Discover bill today and on $78 in purchases, I only got $.20! :( I know that I don't use it much - primarily for purchases at Sam's Club, so I think that is why we don't get the full 1%.
I would rather use a card that gives me 1% from the get go! :)

I only use mine at Sam's Club, too, and not that often. I only get 1/4 % on it, since I don't charge enough per year.

How do you get 1% from them?

For Discover -- you only get .25% at Sams/Walmart. Not sure why, but its always been that way. They do 1% at all other retaillers. They also run promos every month for gas, or groceries, etc. those are usually 5%. We use our Discover a lot (and pay it off) and have had over $500 in cash back this year. :cool1:

blessdmommy said:
The promotion through Choice Hotels is get their Visa card and receive enough points for 2 free nights. Gotta apply and make your first credit card purchase by Nov. 1
We are loving our card. Got a free night scheduled for Daytona Beach oceanfront and another for our road trip down to Disney. The last time we used reward points for a free room, we got a 1 bed suite with huge whirlpool tub and kitchen.
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/FreeHotelNights?sid=jFn0g.uiIcggMK9g.4&ref=Rewards+Programs

We also started our Choice visa this way, and also Hilton Honors (hampton and doubletree) and Priority Club Visa (holiday inn chain) and i truly think the RETURN to we the consumer, is better than ANY card....

Not only do you get points if you stay in their hotels, you earn free nights on all purchases charged

We have earned MANY free nights, the *value* which is much greater than cash back from other cards. Its win-win because the hotel doesn't lose much having a room filled, but to us the CONSUMER, its a huge amount!!

Many of our free nights on this summers long road trip were free, with many of them having a $150plus value if we would have paid even the AAA rate. I don't think you can get that in cash back from any other cards, and thats the way we gauge its value. Granted, if you don't travel much, the rewards aren't relevant. But if you do, there is no better way.

In fact, the total saved this summer on free nights earned was easily over $1000. (yes, a thousand dollars).

(and yes, we charge as much as possible, and pay it off each month...or try to!)

alacazander said:
I'm looking for a new one too! I have the Disney "Chase" one and it takes forever to rack up $$.

I picked up the brochure for the Toy's R Us one this weekend and I think it said 5% in rewards.

You get 5% rewards for purchases at TRU only. Everywhere else you get .5%. Also, the rewards are only good for purchases at TRU.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter