Which Character Dining dinner would you recommend?

stefani_

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone :) I will be going to Disney for the first time this summer with my mom, and we are looking to go to one Character Dining meal for dinner. From what I've read, breakfast seems to be a popular meal where food is usually great for character dining, but we are more interested in dinner.

I've already made an ADR for The Crystal Palace, and for Chef Mickey's (but trying to get a better time for this one).

Has anyone been to either of these places lately and can comment on the food/character interaction?

NEW question - how long does a character dinner usually take? Is there a time limit for our meal before we are "forced" out?

IMHO, I would choose Chef Mickey's. If you haven't done a character meal before, having your first with the Fab 5 is amazing. The buffet is standard fare, and my family really enjoys it. You will read mixed reviews about it. But I feel to each his own. We've done Crystal Palace too. While most reviews for this dinner are very positive, we left rather unimpressed. As I said, to each his own. The reason I wouldn't choose Cape May is two fold. It's a clam bake, so if your family isn't into seafood, you are somewhat limited. And I belive (please correct me if I'm wrong) but I thought only breakfast was a character meal. Whatever you choose, have a great time!!!

Hi,

I'm not crazy about buffets for dinner, so we usually do breakfast for character meals. (Cape May only offers characters at breakfast, not dinner.)

That said, we have been to Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace many times for breakfast, and loved both of them.

We were just there in April, and I thought the food was slightly better at Crystal Palace this year.

We do these on our Magic Kingdom days, since CP is in the park and CM is very easy to get to from MK, just hop the monorail, or walk.

*We had dinner at Cape May this year because we were traveling with friends that wanted to dine there... it was excellent!

I agree that the Crystal Palace & Chef Mickey's are musts. I did the Crystal Palace for breakfast & Chef Mickey's for dinner twice on our last trip. We also loved the Breakfast at Norway in Epcot, its a princess breakfast and it's awesome. We also did 1900 Parkfare in the Grand Floridian, Cinderella dinner buffet. The food there is from all around the world, I loved it but my husband didn't he thought that it was a little too different. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks like it'll be either Chef Mickey's or the Crystal Palace for us... we still have a few nights without ADR's currently, so we may even do both!

Got a few more questions.. have updated the first post to reflect that :) Thanks all! Everyone is quite friendly here.

stefani, welcome to the DIS boards :welcome: Until this last trip, I would have highly recommended the Crystal Palace but not after the horrible experience we had on April 27th :sad: We had the most rushed character interaction as they spent only seconds at each table and seemed to have a one picture per table limit :eek: I had to call back every character (except Tigger) so my daughter could have her picture taken too :mad: The waitress brought our check out before we even finished our first salad plates :furious: They did away with the prime rib and had some kind of steak that was more like stringy pot roast :confused3 For the high price, decline in the food and lack of character interaction, we will not be back again :headache:

1900 Park Fare is the best dinner buffet on property IMHO. We love it there and now that the wicked step-sisters are there it's like getting a show with the meal! :lmao:

I'll second 1900 Park Fare Dinner! DH has no use for character dining, yet the step mother had him grinning from ear to ear with her attitude. The step sisters were a real hoot as well. That's one place I wouldn't mind going back to.

I must agree with 1900 Park Fare - we have done that every time we have visited - my kids just love it. I booked it for our trip in October as well.

stefani, welcome to the DIS boards :welcome: Until this last trip, I would have highly recommended the Crystal Palace but not after the horrible experience we had on April 27th :sad: We had the most rushed character interaction as they spent only seconds at each table and seemed to have a one picture per table limit :eek: I had to call back every character (except Tigger) so my daughter could have her picture taken too :mad: The waitress brought our check out before we even finished our first salad plates :furious: They did away with the prime rib and had some kind of steak that was more like stringy pot roast :confused3 For the high price, decline in the food and lack of character interaction, we will not be back again :headache:

:eek: I have read mixed reviews, but mostly they said that the character interaction was great! I am intent on trying it, however... I hope it turns out ok!

Thanks to the other three that recommended 1900 PF :) I will take a look and see if I can get an ADR!

Recycling this thread to ask one more question relating to character dinners :) Thanks so much everyone.

I will agree with the other posters about Park Fare. The food is good, but the character interaction is amazing. Lady Tremaine and the step sisters at Park Fare are some of the best in all of WDW. They had us laughing the entire evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter