Which are your go-to sites for lens rentals?

sharona

DIS Veteran
Thinking of renting a Nikon 24-70 2.8 for an upcoming DL trip as I'm wanting to bring just one zoom lens with me. Mostly will be shooting candid family photos and some parade and artsy fartsy stuff. I'll also be bringing my 35mm 1.8 for fireworks and dark rides.

I rent from a place in town so I can avoid shipping fees. I would check around first and see if you have any options close by.

I haven't rented from one of the big national sites, so can't help there.

Have you used that lens before? I shoot Canon with a Tamron version of it and love it to bits. But it is a bit of a beast to carry around.

No, have not used it yet. Just looking for a bit of an upgrade on my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 as that tends to be useless in low light.

It should be a spectacular lens. Just check on the weight before you commit. I carry some heavy lenses and it's worth it to me. But it took some getting used to.

Looks like your current Sigma weighs just over a pound. The Nikon is 2.35 pounds.

And by the way, I think renting lenses is a great way to try out some of these great lenses before buying.

It should be a spectacular lens. Just check on the weight before you commit. I carry some heavy lenses and it's worth it to me. But it took some getting used to.

Looks like your current Sigma weighs just over a pound. The Nikon is 2.35 pounds.

Yes, definitely heavier than my Sigma but I sometimes carry the Sigma plus a 70-300 zoom for a full day if I go hiking or touring while on vacation. The Tamrom 70-300 weighs about 1.5 lbs. But I'm leaving it at home this trip. I only used it at AK on our last WDW visist. I don't think I'll need that reach for what I plan to shoot at DL - mostly family candids and landscapes. I'm going to hit my local camera store this weekend and test it out but they don't do rentals. I'll have to use an online service.

Yes, definitely heavier than my Sigma but I sometimes carry the Sigma plus a 70-300 zoom for a full day if I go hiking or touring while on vacation. The Tamrom 70-300 weighs about 1.5 lbs. But I'm leaving it at home this trip. I only used it at AK on our last WDW visist. I don't think I'll need that reach for what I plan to shoot at DL - mostly family candids and landscapes. I'm going to hit my local camera store this weekend and test it out but they don't do rentals. I'll have to use an online service.

I really only carry my long zoom at DLR a couple days we're there. I like having it for shows more than anything. But beyond that you'll be fine with that focal length.

I have loved my Tamron version of that lens from day 1. I'm sure you'll love the Nikon version even more. The biggest risk is probably that you'll fall in love with such an expensive lens! :laughing:

I really only carry my long zoom at DLR a couple days we're there. I like having it for shows more than anything. But beyond that you'll be fine with that focal length.

I have loved my Tamron version of that lens from day 1. I'm sure you'll love the Nikon version even more. The biggest risk is probably that you'll fall in love with such an expensive lens! :laughing:

So true! I would have to sell most of my other gear to afford to buy it right now. Although there is always Best Buy 0% 18 months financing! :rolleyes1 I'll have to look into the Tamron version for Nikon. I do love my Tamron 70-300 and it was a great deal.

So true! I would have to sell most of my other gear to afford to buy it right now. Although there is always Best Buy 0% 18 months financing! :rolleyes1 I'll have to look into the Tamron version for Nikon. I do love my Tamron 70-300 and it was a great deal.

lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are great options.

Don't also ignore the option of buying it used. Then after your trip, re-selling it. Could end up being cheaper than renting (renting is not cheap especially with shipping).

I love the Tamron version.

But you're shooting a crop body, right? The 24-70 is not very wide on a crop body. You are currently shooting with the 17-70 -- so that is losing an awful lot on the wide end. You are going from a 26mm equivalent to a 36mm equivalent. That has a huge difference on the field of view.
And 2.8 still isn't great for dark rides. You may want to consider the Sigma 18-35/1.8 if you want to rent just 1 lens for general purpose and for dark rides. Of course, you can also consider the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Nikon 17-55/2.8. That 17-24 range is much more meaningful in most cases, than the 50-70 range. (You can always shoot at 50mm and crop a little to get the equivalent of 70.. if you can't magically uncrop wide shots) .

lensrentals.com and borrowlenses.com are great options.

Don't also ignore the option of buying it used. Then after your trip, re-selling it. Could end up being cheaper than renting (renting is not cheap especially with shipping).

I love the Tamron version.

But you're shooting a crop body, right? The 24-70 is not very wide on a crop body. You are currently shooting with the 17-70 -- so that is losing an awful lot on the wide end. You are going from a 26mm equivalent to a 36mm equivalent. That has a huge difference on the field of view.
And 2.8 still isn't great for dark rides. You may want to consider the Sigma 18-35/1.8 if you want to rent just 1 lens for general purpose and for dark rides. Of course, you can also consider the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or the Nikon 17-55/2.8. That 17-24 range is much more meaningful in most cases, than the 50-70 range. (You can always shoot at 50mm and crop a little to get the equivalent of 70.. if you can't magically uncrop wide shots) .

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely some good points. Yes I'm using a 7100 crop. I don't think I use the wide end of the 17-70 very often. I'll look at my current usage before I decide, maybe take the 17-70 to a few places and consciously stay above 24 at all times and see how I like it. I'll bring my 35mm 1.8 for dark rides. It's small enough to fit in my bag and easy enough to change a lens while we're in line.

you can exposure plot (it's free) to scan the metadata in your photo library and generate a graph showing the focal lengths you use.
It's of minimal use to me because it only reads JPG's but It's really interesting to see what your shooting style is.
http://www.vandel.nl/exposureplot.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter