Where you live, are they called "raised ranch" or "split entry"

around here there are "split levels" and "high ranches" and they're not the same thing

I don't know what my house would be called. I guess contemporary would be safe.
The first floor has a foyer, kitchen, living room, dining room and a half bath. Up four steps from this level is the master bedroom and master bath. If you walk down about eight steps from that level there are the kids bedrooms with a full bath and down four steps from that area is the family room, laundy room and basement.
Kind of unique, I love it.

In Georgia, we have split-levels.
I live in a split-level. You walk up 15 or so steps to get to the front door, walk in and you are on a small landing basically (called foyer though). You can go down 8 steps to the den, BR#4, Bath and laundry room. From there you can go out to the patio (down about 4-5 steps) or out to the garage (down about 4-5 steps). Back to the front door, you can go up 8 steps to the main level and rest of the house. Living room, dining room, kitchen, master bed/bath, 2 other bed and one other bath. The land is pretty flat where the house actually is.
My parents live in a tri-level. You walk up 8-9 steps to get to the front door. Go in and you have an entry way and living room. That level also has the family room, kitchen and dining room area (really part of the living room). There's also a screened in porch in the back on this level (no steps). In the "center" of the house are two staircases. One going up to the 3 BR and 2 BA and one going down (with a door) to the garage (which my Dad turned into an office and storage so it's now more like a basement). The laundry is down there too.
My house only has two levels of living. My parents have three.

I never realized or thought about that a certain style name could mean something different elsewhere in the country. If we ever move out of GA, I'll have to do my homework!

Eeyore'sthebest said:
We have split levels. Is that the same as a split entry. You basically walk into the door and there is a staircase - either up or down. Never liked the set up for me but they do seem to have alot of room.

It's also called a split foyer around here and it's not the same thing as a raised ranch.

Here's what I call them:

Bi-level : A house where you walk in to find two sets of stairs up and down

split level : bottom floor, usually family room and bathroom(basement off family room),
main floor, kitchen, living & dining room,
upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a bath
You can enter the house either on the main level or into a foyer on the family room level, each level is only about 5-6 steps up.

Raised Ranch Sort of like a bi level, except the bottom floor is pretty much just a garage, with maybe a den.

I designed my house and the architect called it a raised ranch. It is one full floor on top of a full basement. My basement is 4 ft undergound and 5 feet above ground. You enter my house by walking up 12 steps to a landing on the outside and enter on the main floor ( No stairs in my entry) On the side of my living room there is a full set of steps to the basement (familyroom, laundry, office, 1 bath and 2 bedroooms) and at the base of those steps there is an entry to our garage. Up stairs is living,dining, kitchen, pantry, guestroom, bath, masterbedroom and bath. There is also an enterance to our garage from my kitchen. I did not want to walk into my home and have stairs it seemed like a waste of space.

Love my house!!!!!

dcgrumpy said:
around here there are "split levels" and "high ranches" and they're not the same thing

Same for us but instead of calling them "high ranches" they call them "raised ranches"

We have always called our house a Tri Level ranch. Walk in to LR, also K and DR on same level. Stairs off K go down to FR, and off LR go up to BRs. We love the design.

We call the other style Split Level ranch where you walk in to face stairs which go either up or down. Lots of room in those homes.

One other style is called Front to Back Split which looks more like a Cape style home. Stairs are in the middle and just go up. Has regular cellar stairs.

:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter