Where We Ate (11/28 - 12/4)

ead79

<font color=#FF0066>Disney Bride!<br><font color=v
Here are our dining reviews from our fantastic trip to the World. We had many excellent meals, and some that were OK.

Dinner, The Mara, AKL—
I had the Tandoori Chicken Pizza, which I thought was quite good. It had a unique flavor, nothing like what you could get at a local pizza place. It had just the right amount of curry on the chicken, as I don’t like too much curry. DH had the Bacon Double Cheeseburger with fries. He said the burger was good, on par with a good fast food burger from Wendy’s or McDonald’s. Some of his fries were cold, but we walked the food back up to our room to eat it, so that was probably why. We would eat here again if we were staying at AKL and needed a quick bite. Food: B- Service: N/A

Lunch, Liberty Tree Tavern, MK—
This is one of our favorites, since it’s a quiet place to relax for lunches at the MK. I had my favorite, the Colony Salad, which has chicken, apples, cheddar, and a great vinaigrette dressing. It was outstanding! DH had the New England Pot Roast, and he said it was the best pot roast he had ever had (don’t tell his mom, LOL!). He said the meat was so tender he just barely touched it with his fork and it fell apart. We shared a Strawberry Shortcake for dessert, which was great. It comes on a sweetened biscuit instead of sponge cake, and we thought it was the perfect level of sweetness and not too rich. Our waiter was very pleasant and efficient. We will definitely return here for lunch. Food: A+ Service: A

Dinner, Liberty Tree Tavern, MK—
This meal is another one of our favorites, and it’s a nice way to get character interaction without waiting in a line. We are pretty simple eaters, so we like the family style dinner. I also think the addition of apple cobbler for dessert was a great choice—it’s good. Our server was very polite here as well. We will happily return here. Food: B+ Service: A

Breakfast, Sunrise Safari Buffet, AK—
I went into this meal with low expectations, thinking it would just be a typical buffet. Boy was I wrong! It was a HUGE spread of delicious breakfast items, some familiar, some slightly unusual. We thoroughly enjoyed the pan omelet, fried plantains, guava juice, breakfast breads, etc. This meal was a treat. Food: A Service: N/A

Lunch, Rainforest Cafe, AK—
This restaurant tends to get bad reviews, but we consistently enjoy our meals here (though we do prefer the Downtown Disney location). We both had our favorite menu items—I had the Bamba’s BBQ wrap, and DH had the Flying Dragon Pepperoni Pizza. Both were excellent, and our server was prompt and courteous. We will gladly eat here again. Food: A Service: A-

Dinner, Artist Point, WL—
We discovered this restaurant last year on our honeymoon, and we could hardly wait to return. We weren’t disappointed! Our server was outstanding and made terrific menu recommendations. I had the Hatfield Pork Chop with Tillamook Cheddar Mac & Cheese, and it was delightful. The pork chop was tender and flavorful, and the Tillamook cheddar gave the mac & cheese a nice sharp flavor. It complemented the pork chop perfectly. DH had the Buffalo Steak, this being his first time trying buffalo. He loved it, as well as the sweet potato gratin that was served with it (and this really says something, since he normally won’t touch anything resembling a vegetable, LOL!). For dessert we shared the Berry Cobbler. There simply aren’t words to describe how delicious it is. It is definitely my favorite dessert inside or outside Walt Disney World. I wish I had a second stomach just so I could eat more cobbler, LOL! We look forward to our meals here all year long. Food: A+++ Service: A+++

Breakfast, Whispering Canyon Café, WL—
This was our first breakfast at Whispering Canyon, and I was looking forward to trying something new. We had the Canyon Skillet with bacon, hash browns, biscuits, waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage. It was very tasty, but nothing outstanding. The atmosphere/service on the other hand, was outstanding! One of the servers pretended to come eat with me since my DH was in the restroom when the food came to the table. To “punish” Colin for being gone when the food came, he made him wear a ridiculous looking “hat” fashioned out of a bandana and straws. Little kids kept coming by and laughing at him. It was classic! We would eat here again, though more for the service/atmosphere than for the food. Food: B- Service: A+

Lunch, Earl of Sandwich, DTD—
This was another new experience for us. Two thumbs way up! These are not ordinary sandwiches, and they are great! I had the All American, and I wasn’t sure how good the cranberries would taste on a sandwich. They went perfectly, and I loved the sandwich. DH had the Original (roast beef), which he thought was excellent as well. I look forward to eating here again. Food: A Service: N/A

Dinner, Nine Dragons, Epcot—
We ate here as part of the Candlelight Processional package, and our meal was delicious. I had the Won Ton Soup, Fried Rice (with shrimp, ham, and chicken), and a chocolate cake dessert (this was all part of the package). My fried rice was quite good, and the portion was large. The won ton soup was a little bit spicy for my taste, but I will admit to being a spice wimp. The chocolate cake was tasty, but I wouldn’t have ordered it outside of the package. DH had the Pot Sticker appetizer, Honey Sesame Chicken, and the same chocolate cake. He enjoyed the pot sticker and really liked the honey sesame chicken. He devoured his chocolate cake, so that must’ve been a big hit. We enjoyed our meal and would return happily. Food: B+ Service: A

Breakfast, Concourse Steakhouse, Contemporary—
We love eating here with the monorail going by overhead, and this meal was delicious as well. We were both initially disappointed to see that they no longer serve the “Chef’s Madness” with mini Sticky Mickeys, but that didn’t last long. We shared our first full-size Sticky Mickey, and it was GREAT, even better than the mini ones. I had the Magic Kingdom Express, which was yummy. DH had the Mickey Waffle, which is of course a classic. Our server here was very friendly as well. We will be back. Food: A (Sticky Mickey A+++) Service: A

Dinner, Captain Cook’s Snack Company, Polynesian—
We needed a quick bite to eat, so we grabbed a quick dinner here at the Polynesian. I had the chicken fingers with fries, and DH had the pepperoni pizza. They were just your standard fare, nothing to write home about. We would only eat here again if it was convenient. Food: C Service: N/A

Lunch, Le Cellier, Epcot—
This has been a long-time favorite of ours, so we were eager to return. We both had the Cheese Soup appetizer (no sharing, I want my own!), which was outstanding as usual. For my entrée, I had the Grilled Steak Burger with potato salad, and it was delicious. I love the dense bun they serve this on. I had never had their potato salad before, so I was surprised that it is hot. It’s more of a roasted marinated potato thing, and I thought it was quite tasty. DH had the French Dip, and he was a little disappointed. He said it had a good flavor, but the bottom bun was soggy (which he hates). This won’t deter us from eating there again though. Our server was very friendly. Food: B Service: A+

Dinner, Polynesian Room Service, Polynesian—
We wanted to celebrate our anniversary a little early, so we had the Grand Floridian Bakery make a replica of our wedding cake. We thought a dinner of room service would be the perfect thing for some relaxation before diving into our cake, LOL! We both ordered the Chicken Quesadilla with French fries. It was good, not great. I thought the chicken could’ve had more flavor. Our food did arrive very quickly and was piping hot. Food: C Service: A

Breakfast, Kona Café, Polynesian—
I was excited to take DH to this restaurant for his first visit. I had the fantastic Tonga Toast, which did not disappoint. Yum! DH had the Big Kahuna breakfast, which he loved. He just loves ordering more food than he could possibly eat, LOL! Our server was friendly, but we felt very rushed. There was no line to eat here, so I’m not sure what her hurry was. She was never rude; we just wondered what the big hurry was. Food: A Service: C

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Great reviews!

I know this post is from December, but I'm hoping you can tell me more about the anniversary cake that the Polynesian made for you. We'll be at the Polynesian on our 5th anniversary and would love to order a cake from them to have delivered to our room. Did it look nice, like a small wedding cake, or just like a birthday cake you'd see at a bakery? How was the taste? Did you have a choice of cake flavors and filling flavors? Do you happen to have a picture of it?? I am considering ordering those mini wedding cakes from the Grand Floridian, but want to find out what I can get at the Polynesian since we'll be there. Thanks! :)

Thanks for taking the time to share your reviews. Sounds like you had a good time. It always strikes me as funny, though, to read about the chocolate cake at Nine Dragons and, I think, the counter service place in Morocco. I'm a former chocoholic (low carber, now), but I'd never think of getting chocolate cake at either place.

thanks for the reviews
alot of those restaurants are on our Aug list

ead79,
Thanks for the great report!

Isn't the Sunrise Safari breakfast buffet outstanding!?! We enjoyed this in October 2004. It was hands down one of the best breakfast buffets at WDW! We were planning on going on the Sunrise Safari during our August 2005 trip, but they are changing the days of the safari starting in April, and unfortunately we will not be staying at AKL on a Thursday or Sunday :(

Oh well, I guess I will just have to eat at Jikos twice during our stay and pick up some extra chocolate mousse crisps at Maras to make up for the missed Safari :rotfl2:

What is a sticky Mickey??? And can you get them anywhere other than The Concourse Steakhouse???

Thanks!!!! :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter