Where to store luggage (with prohibited items) after WDW during the Cruise?

koszmok

Mouseketeer
Hi there,

If everything goes well ( saying this after 3 of my Disney holidays got cancelled in 2020 and 2021 so far)
in 2022 we`ll be going to a 2 weeks WDW holiday following a Disney Cruise.

Because of personal reasons I have to have some items with me during the WDW stay which are prohibited to take on Board to our Cruise (Which will follow our "land" vacation).

I`m an international guest so we won`t have car with us ( and we don`t want to rent a car just to keep our stuff in it for the duration of the cruise and pay for the car rental + parking).

Where can we store are items safely and budget friendly? Port Canaveral would be preferred but Orlando is an option too.

Thanks

I haven’t personally tried this but have read here on the boards a few times that if your staying at a Disney resort before your cruise you can have them store some items while your on the cruise and pick them up when you get back from your cruise.

I haven’t personally tried this but have read here on the boards a few times that if your staying at a Disney resort before your cruise you can have them store some items while your on the cruise and pick them up when you get back from your cruise.
Thanks. I`ll check with them as I`ll stay in a Disney Resort.

After 9/11 many of the luggage storage options in airports and train stations pretty much globally, shut down. This provided an opportunity for an "AirBnB" like business where shops in high traffic tourist areas offered to hold luggage for people. Here are some options in Orlando:

Luggage Storage Options in Orlando

This one is more convenient and inside the airport (suspect bags are kept offsite for Security reasons) but more expensive at $15 a day.

Luggage Storage MCO

I am having a friend bring some small knives from Switzerland which can't be taken on the cruise. Because they are small and weight less than a pound, I am putting them in a pre-stamped envelope from the post office and mailing them from MCO. There are drop boxes for the USPS, FedEx and UPS at Level 3, Terminal A, at Ticketing C. But you'd have to have already paid for the postage or I guess have an account with FedEx or UPS AND to mail heavy things would be expensive. Not sure what you have that can't be taken on the ship, so this may not be an option.

Yeah, sorry. The Port Canaveral link is a bit of a bust with nothing right there on site . . . . but as you say, maybe things will open up again. When is your cruise?

After 9/11 many of the luggage storage options in airports and train stations pretty much globally, shut down. This provided an opportunity for an "AirBnB" like business where shops in high traffic tourist areas offered to hold luggage for people. Here are some options in Orlando:

Luggage Storage Options in Orlando

This one is more convenient and inside the airport (suspect bags are kept offsite for Security reasons) but more expensive at $15 a day.

Luggage Storage MCO

I am having a friend bring some small knives from Switzerland which can't be taken on the cruise. Because they are small and weight less than a pound, I am putting them in a pre-stamped envelope from the post office and mailing them from MCO. There are drop boxes for the USPS, FedEx and UPS at Level 3, Terminal A, at Ticketing C. But you'd have to have already paid for the postage or I guess have an account with FedEx or UPS AND to mail heavy things would be expensive. Not sure what you have that can't be taken on the ship, so this may not be an option.

I will have electric and regular coolers and other electric items .... and a tons of food :) which will be with me already before the cruise and I`ll fly out (to UK) after the cruise asap (these are food I can only buy in US and I need them to follow my special medical diet). The foods are not perishable so do not need to be in the cooler though

I`m an international guest so we won`t have car with us ( and we don`t want to rent a car just to keep our stuff in it for the duration of the cruise and pay for the car rental + parking).

Where can we store are items safely and budget friendly? Port Canaveral would be preferred but Orlando is an option too.

Thanks
Pre-COVID, the cost to rent a car for a week and then pay to park it at Port Canaveral for a four day cruise was significantly LESS than the cost of round-trip transportation to Port Canaveral for a family of 4. That's all flipped now, as the car rental agencies sold off so much of their inventory during the pandemic; rental car rates are now triple/quadruple what they were prior to March 2020.

I don't know when the rental car situation is going to recover, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that option in 2022 because that might turn out to be the cheapest and most convenient option.

Hi there,

If everything goes well ( saying this after 3 of my Disney holidays got cancelled in 2020 and 2021 so far)
in 2022 we`ll be going to a 2 weeks WDW holiday following a Disney Cruise.

Because of personal reasons I have to have some items with me during the WDW stay which are prohibited to take on Board to our Cruise (Which will follow our "land" vacation).

Thanks

Will you stay at a WDW resort before and after your stay ? If so, in the past we were able to have our pre-cruise resort bell services transfer a suitcase to our post-stay resort - we made sure they knew when we were checking in to the post-cruise resort, and a note was put on the transfer tags so that it would go into "long term storage" [our cruise was 7 days]. When we arrived at our post-cruise resort we went to Bell Services and gave them the tag we were given and they retreived the bag.

Another option it is contact DCL [ suggest in writing] and explain the situation and ask them if they will hold the bag at the port during the cruise.

Also, there is this service inside MCO airport [I have nver used them, just found their website]: https://www.holdmyluggage.com/Home/Index It looks like for the multi-day holds the luggage is stored offiste, so you would want to confirm if it is stored in a climate-controled facility since you will have food in it.

Also, regardless of where you store it, I HIGHLY suggest you put any food items inside ziploc-type bags, possibly double-bagging them. This will help protect them from things like pests.

Pre-COVID, the cost to rent a car for a week and then pay to park it at Port Canaveral for a four day cruise was significantly LESS than the cost of round-trip transportation to Port Canaveral for a family of 4. That's all flipped now, as the car rental agencies sold off so much of their inventory during the pandemic; rental car rates are now triple/quadruple what they were prior to March 2020.

I don't know when the rental car situation is going to recover, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that option in 2022 because that might turn out to be the cheapest and most convenient option.

We will have rental car but we will drop it of at Port Canaveral on boarding day.
I figured I`d be able to find luggage storage which will cost significantly less for 4 days than paying for a car + parking for 4 days. I hope so....

After cruise pick up a rented car for another 1-2 day

It`s just the 2 of us.

Last edited:
Will you stay at a WDW resort before and after your stay ? If so, in the past we were able to have our pre-cruise resort bell services transfer a suitcase to our post-stay resort - we made sure they knew when we were checking in to the post-cruise resort, and a note was put on the transfer tags so that it would go into "long term storage" [our cruise was 7 days]. When we arrived at our post-cruise resort we went to Bell Services and gave them the tag we were given and they retreived the bag.

Another option it is contact DCL [ suggest in writing] and explain the situation and ask them if they will hold the bag at the port during the cruise.

Also, there is this service inside MCO airport [I have nver used them, just found their website]: https://www.holdmyluggage.com/Home/Index It looks like for the multi-day holds the luggage is stored offiste, so you would want to confirm if it is stored in a climate-controled facility since you will have food in it.

Also, regardless of where you store it, I HIGHLY suggest you put any food items inside ziploc-type bags, possibly double-bagging them. This will help protect them from things like pests.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I will write DCL to explain the situation. Other cruise lines are permitting coolers and food on board so this problem is only specific for DCL.

We will stay at WDW resort before Cruise only, depending on flight prices we will flight out right after the cruise or on the following day.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yes, I will write DCL to explain the situation. Other cruise lines are permitting coolers and food on board so this problem is only specific for DCL.

We will stay at WDW resort before Cruise only, depending on flight prices we will flight out right after the cruise or on the following day.

You are actually allowed to bring a cooler and food on board, subject to restrictions (size, types, etc).

I have multiple food allergies and always bring some food on board our DCL cruises and we always end up bringing some of it back off the ship with us at the end of the cruise.

DCL's prohibited items list [subject to change]: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

DCL's coolers and food policy: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/ice-chest-food-containers/

For food specifically, assuming you will only have non-perishable, commercially packaged, factory-sealed food: "Nonperishable snack foods in sealed, original packaging. All items must either be consumed prior to returning to your home port or remain unopened."

Since you would have more than just snacks for the cruise, probably a wise idea to reach out to DCL special services to ensure that DCL won't have an issue with it.

Here is the challenge: US Customs.

The foods you bring will have to be imported back into the US, so they are subject to US Customs rules and scrutiny. So they come up against the rules for things like fruits and vegetables and meats and dairy products -- and it isn't just "fresh" stuff, either. The US CBP website has information on importation of food.

All food it must be FULLY DECLARED to US Customs. Every little bit of it. BTW, this includes things like gum, candy, mints that you may have with you too. Expect that you will get to talk with an Agriculture officer, which could be a quick talk [all of ours have been <1 minute] or a longer one, so budget time in for it.

IF you have declared everything and they decide something is prohibited, then they seize it, but my understanding is you aren't fined *because* you declared it up front. OTOH, if you do NOT declare something and they find it, then you can be fined or more because you are smuggling, and there are extra fines if the item is on the prohibited list. So make sure to DECLARE ALL FOOD!!

We always take a sheet of paper and make an itemized list of every food item we have, including quantity. Then when we go through customs we have that list out with our declaration card. If they want to know what foods we have, we tell them we have an itemized list and show it to them. They may ask questions about specific items.

When we do this, we only bring foods that we have purchased in the USA or Canada. We **have the receipts with us** to prove where/when they were purchased [this is at the suggestion of US Customs when I contacted them and asked about bringing food back off our cruise]. And we make sure we know the food items are allowed per US rules.

You can always contact US CBP and ask them about the rules and about your specific situation and the specific types of foods you will have; I have found them quite helpful in the past.

===
Some other options to consider:

We have done a DCL cruise a few different ways...

One is to spend a number of days at a WDW resort [and maybe or not visit the parks] before the cruise, and then ONE NIGHT at a WDW resort after the cruise. We use the DCL transfers to get us to/from the port. We really enjoy that last night at WDW: the last night and morning on the ship are kind of hectic - getting your luggage out the night before, the early morning on departure day, etc. Our bags are not packed the way we want them for flying, among other things. So it is nice to have one night at a WDW resort where we can relax, repack our bags, decompress a bit after the cruise, and prepare for the flight home. We do not do a park visit. This is all about enjoying the resort, possibly doing a "resort hop" and going to visit some other resorts [using Disney's internal transportation system] - e.g it can be fun to go do a "monorail resort hop" and visit the monorail resorts and Wilderness Lodge. Or go visit Animal Kingdom Lodge and see the animals ! We may schedule a table service meal at a WDW resort hotel, or just stick with QS meals.

If you go that route, then you can have bell services at your pre-stay hotel transfer a suitcase to your post-stay hotel and it will be waiting for you when you check in after your cruise.

Another option we have done, but it is more tiring ! (and you would need to confirm with the Hyatt that they will hold your bag) :

Pre-cruise stay at a WDW hotel but then for the last night, return to the airport and spend the night before the cruise at the Hyatt inside MCO airport. Now, this worked nicely while Disney had Magical Express, since the return trip to the airport was free, but in the future you'd have to budget for the return trip to the airport. We did this option because in the past the DCL transfer buses leaving the airport were the first ones to leave, starting around 9 am, which means they were the first to get to the port. So we lined up early for them [there are people waiting by 8 am] and managed to get out of the airport and to the port nice and early. Also, DCL has arrangements with the Hyatt so that your checked bags are picked up in the morning and taken to the ship, so you only have to bring yourself and your carryons to the bus [see threads elsewhere for info]. HOWEVER, things could change once they resume cruising, so you will have to confirm how things are working. If you go this route, then either use the bags storage place inside the airport listed in one of the previous posts, or, stay at the hyatt for a night post-cruise and have the hyatt store your bag [IF they will -- you would need to contact them and ask if they will do that]. Also, the hyatt offers day use rooms, something to consider if you will be leaving on a later flight the day of the end of your cruise.

Pre covid Bell services at any Disney hotel would hold items for up to 10 days before check in. I took advantage of this with friends when we needed to leave stuff for one another but our trips worse off by a certain number of days.

We will have rental car but we will drop it of at Port Canaveral on boarding day.
I figured I`d be able to find luggage storage which will cost significantly less for 4 days than paying for a car + parking for 4 days. I hope so....

After cruise pick up a rented car for another 1-2 day

It`s just the 2 of us.

Personally, I would not want to leave food in a car in Florida for even an hour, let alone days, even if it isn't perishable. Leaving it in the heat will at best accelerate its expiry. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter