Where to stay when out of points?

wdw4rfam

DVC Member/AP holder
Just wondering- where does everyone stay when out of points? We did one big trip and wiped our points out for the whole year. We were planning on only going once this year. We just got back and quickly realized that was a dumb move and we don’t want to wait a year and are going back in fall now. But now- where to stay….

Swan & Dolphin, if you catch the right time of year (Too expensive much of the time)
They just added a 3rd BONVOY property across the street next to the mini-golf (Swan Reserve)
I've heard good things about Bonnet Creek.
We have stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort, The Drury (near USO, not the newest one),
and at Cabana Bay Beach Resort at USO.
I really liked the CBBR; it had 2 great pool areas, a large dining/shopping/workout area, and some interesting old vehicles on display out front. If you're a Universal Studios fan, it's probably the furthest walk to USO of all their hotels.
If the pricing is not an issue, I would go with Swan/Dolphin. The large pool with the waterfall/alcove is an awesome place on a warm night, and being on Crescent Lake is always a bonus if you're EPCOT/DHS fans, as we are.
Pricing can be much higher there, however, and they tack on huge daily Parking/Entertainment surcharges, which can make it a lot less apppealing.

We did a last minute trip at spring break (all our DVC points used already) and stayed at the Swan. We enjoyed it. I thought it was nice for a non-DVC stay and we used my husband’s Marriott points which was a big plus.

We’ve stayed at Pop, POR, CSR, Bonnet Creek, and Silver Lake, those last two via exchanging another timeshare we own.

We already had our points locked up for a future trip and wanted to go down for a weekend. We ended up getting 2 single 1 night reservations for same resort and room category. First we found OKW studio for just under $200 on a Sunday which also gave access for Epcot EEH Monday. Then the same room popped up for $300 the night before, and that’s also a higher points Sat night. At 3 weeks out this felt like a good value compared to alternatives. And we didn’t need to switch rooms even though we had no real control over the 2 single night rentals.

and at Cabana Bay Beach Resort at USO.
I really liked the CBBR; it had 2 great pool areas, a large dining/shopping/workout area, and some interesting old vehicles on display out front. If you're a Universal Studios fan, it's probably the furthest walk to USO of all their hotels.
I would borrow as we find through the years some we use to few and others to many.... But that depends on how many points you have.
We loved CBBR it is just incredible how Lowes caters to families the lazy river there shames the one at BC. I will add the higher up UO resorts are geared for teens/adults but CBBR also does a great job of that as well. The food was great and a Starbucks.... However for defense Disney them park restuarnts are far better than anything UO has to offer.

One of my home resorts is Boardwalk and I'm spoiled by the walk to Epcot and HS, so I love Swan and Dolphin for that reason.

Otherwise I use it as an excuse to stay at a resort I've always wanted to check out but haven't had the opportunity to because I usualy stay at DVC resorts. That's how I ended up at Port Orleans French Quarter on one trip.

I also really like Fort Wilderness. Staying there is a unqiue Disney experience!

We do the values with great theming. Last non-DVC stay was Art of Animation (Little Mermaid rooms). Will do a night in an All Star if we are landing late and just want a place to crash on property.

I’m pretty sure DD7 would pick Movies over a Deluxe any day. 🤦‍♀️

We did a hotwire blind booking when we were in this situation last year - you can do it so you know you are getting one of the good neighbor hotels (really if you are willing to invest some time you can almost always figure out exactly which hotel you are booking before you do it) and ended up at the Waldorf Astoria for less than a Disney value. I highly recommend this route! We greatly enjoyed it, and we still got the early entry.

i just buy another contract when out of points
So you effectively have unlimited points! Nice!

For OP, I will second the Swan & Dolphin. It was our go to for years before we bought DVC. Basically "DVC Lite". Walking distance to HS, Epcot and the Boardwalk area. And classified as a Deluxe for Extra hours, etc.

More expensive than other options, though.

We did a hotwire blind booking when we were in this situation last year - you can do it so you know you are getting one of the good neighbor hotels (really if you are willing to invest some time you can almost always figure out exactly which hotel you are booking before you do it) and ended up at the Waldorf Astoria for less than a Disney value. I highly recommend this route! We greatly enjoyed it, and we still got the early entry.
Oh my, I just checked my summer dates, and I'm pretty sure that's the Waldorf for $250. Really considering saving the points for part of the trip... I'd love that lazy river.

$50 resort fee, $50 taxes, $350. Still, I'm considering.

Last edited:
We end up at a moderate if we run out of points. Usually we're just adding onto a short DVC stay, we haven't completely run out of points for the year yet.

All star music with AP rate is our go to always when not using DVC. Or if we need to tack on a night at start.

While I've never done a full trip there, I've sometimes bookened trips with a day or two at Pop Century. Nothing fancy, just basic rooms, but their food court is decent...and now they are connected to the Skyliner...

This post sums up my life lol, I am always like why don't I have more points, well because I am not independently wealthy that's why lol.

But absolutely vote for Swan and Dolphin and even some of the partner hotels at Disney Springs are good options to be mostly in the bubble and the go to when we inevitably use up our points too soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter