Where to sell wedding dress?

ThunderMTexpert

DIS Veteran
:confused3 IDK where to sell my wedding dress. It was originally $630, but I caught it on sale for about $430 after alterations and steaming and everything. My family's having a garage sale next weekend, but I don't feel I'll "do it justice" selling it there. I don't want to keep it, though. Let's be real: My child will NOT want to wear it. The styles change daily now- can you imagine in twenty years?? What to do with it though? I'm not an EBAYer.. I just get confused..:lmao:

Did you consider Craigslist.com
Free add, no fees and you can set up the "look" at your convenience. In addition, you can upload a pix and then they'll know if they even Want to look.

By the way, I actually wore my moms gown, and it was over 25 years old, I had a new headpiece made, altered from a 16 to a 10 and people were blown away, as was I , the train was very very long. It was actually quite beautiful, off shoulder, silk and beautiful detail work, just lovely.
I'm glad I wore it especially that my mom passed unexpectedly a few years later. Now I have saved it, though I have a son and no daughter. We'll be saving the gown to make christening outfits with (for grandma's grandkids children!)

Good Luck!

I don't think my DD will want to wear mine either, but I'm keeping it rather than take $50 for it or whatever. It may be an heirloom to someone, one day, and it doesn't take up much room in its box. I wished my mom had saved her wedding suit so that I could see it.

My friend had triplets and used the wedding gown to make all 3 Christening outfits. It was amazing! 2 girls and 1 boy.

:confused3 IDK where to sell my wedding dress. It was originally $630, but I caught it on sale for about $430 after alterations and steaming and everything. My family's having a garage sale next weekend, but I don't feel I'll "do it justice" selling it there. I don't want to keep it, though. Let's be real: My child will NOT want to wear it. The styles change daily now- can you imagine in twenty years?? What to do with it though? I'm not an EBAYer.. I just get confused..:lmao:
Is it a somewhat current style? Just asking because as a soon to be bride I am amazed at the prices that people are asking for an eighties taffeta monstrosity. Wedding dresses are like new cars, they depreciate as soon as they leave the shop and very quickly as time goes on. :lol:

If you wanted to sell it try craigslist or even see if there is a consignment shop in your area. I know there are a few in Baton Rouge but they are very picky with what they take. Even if they took it, don't expect a large return. My mom took the dress and veil from my first wedding ($900 Illisa by Demetrios dress and $250 veil) and only received $200 for the both of them.

If you itemize, you will probably get more bang for your buck just donating it and taking the tax deduction.

I have wondered the same thing. I actually have two that I want to sell. One I bought but then decided against, the other one I wore for our wedding. I know I'll never wear it again, I'll never make anything out of it, and my daughter sure won't wear it.

Subscribing because I too want to rid myself of this very large boxed dress!

Just FYI - I tried to sell it on ebay. Listed it first for $99 and second for $89 with free ship. Well, no takers. It is a current style, a line dress and retailed for about $1000. Only thing it is a very tiny size 0 or 2.

Anyway, I may sell it at my yard sale next week or try craigslist.

Good luck all! I'm hoping someone has a better idea!

I wonder if you could get more for the dresses if you made something out of them? Like pretty handbags for brides or christening outfits or ring bearer pillows, KWIM? If you know someone who sews, maybe you could split the $$$ with them or something. I can't imagine a used wedding dress going for very much. I still have mine. I had considered making christening outfits out of it, but when my first child was a boy, the idea didn't seem as cool any more! Good luck, I hope you find a good way to get some $$ for it!

I would also like to suggest you donate the dress. I googled "wedding dress charity" and came up with many options. As another poster mentioned, you may be able to take a deduction. But, more importantly, you may get satisfaction knowing that someone in need had the opportunity to enjoy your beautiful dress. Or, in some cases, people in need benefited from the resale of your dress.:flower3:

I would also like to suggest you donate the dress. I googled "wedding dress charity" and came up with many options. As another poster mentioned, you may be able to take a deduction. But, more importantly, you may get satisfaction knowing that someone in need had the opportunity to enjoy your beautiful dress. Or, in some cases, people in need benefited from the resale of your dress.:flower3:

I was thinking along the same lines and found this site which would benefit from wedding and other gowns.

http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/

Great question.....

I have my grandmothers wedding dress and even though I dont know that I could sell it I still wonder if it is worth anything. I think it is handmade from 1900-1910.

Anyone have any ideas....it is yellowed and I am afraid it will just fall to pieces one day.

I'd like to have something made out of mine ( since DD is 10 and already Christened I don't think there are too many things left ) but I'm not sure what. I'm also a tad bit superstitous ( and know I butchered that word!) and would be afraid my "bad marriage karma" would still be on the dress! It's all tulle and sparkles ( gotta love the 90s!), any ideas?

Great question.....

I have my grandmothers wedding dress and even though I dont know that I could sell it I still wonder if it is worth anything. I think it is handmade from 1900-1910.

Anyone have any ideas....it is yellowed and I am afraid it will just fall to pieces one day.

I bet that is beautiful. Don't have any suggestions (sorry ) but I'd love to see a picture! :bride:

Realistically, even the nicest, most expensive wedding dress has little financial value. So few people look for a used dress, and you'd have to be lucky enough to find a person who's your size who wants this style. My point is that you should keep your expectations low -- you don't care to keep it, so anything you get for it is something you don't have now.

I'd suggest that you find a consignment store that has a good stock of recent styles -- all consignment stores aren't equal. Be sure it's not one of those places that takes literally everything that comes its way; that's a sure sign of a place that people won't go -- it's just too hard for them to find anything there.

I tried to sell it on ebay. Listed it first for $99 and second for $89 with free ship. Well, no takers. It is a current style, a line dress and retailed for about $1000.

I so wish there had been ebay (or even the internet!) when I got married in 1990. I would have snapped up something like that in a heartbeat. As it was, I too spent $1000 on my dress. :guilty:

See if there are any bridal consignment shops in your area. There is one in our area that takes dresses and veils, and gives you half of what they sell it for. It does a very brisk business!

Great question.....

I would contact a local museum or historical society and see what suggestions they have for you. They may be able to suggest someone to restore it or they may even have an interest in displaying it.

I'd start asking around at work, at church, etc., if anyone is looking for a dress. You can also put an ad in Craigslist, the classifieds, your local swap/sell magazine, etc. My niece (we're about the same age...long story) is getting married in June. I considered offering her my dress to wear, but she wanted her own dress. Part of me was happy that nothing would "happen" to it, but the realist in me realizes that it's doing no good in the attic! What my niece chose is surprisingly similar to my dress. I found out she spent about $1000. Mine was $400 after all the alterations, and I still thought it was soooo much money for a dress I'd wear once.

I will wear my dress again, probably for our 10th anniversary in 4 years. I'll be getting my master's degree the same year, and we're going to renew our vows and have a heck of a party! If I haven't worn it by then, it will become a Halloween or theater costume, or perhaps passed to a younger niece. :)

I didn't read all the replies but I do have a suggestion.
Find a wedding message forum like this one.
There you a selling to an audience who are actually wanting to save money and planning a wedding (like me:banana: ).
They all have for sale forums.
Off the top of my head I would say try The Knot. com.
Good Luck:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter