Where to sell engagement ring

havaneselover

Dreaming about a Disney cruise
For some reason I've been hanging on to my engagement ring and wedding band (divorce was finalized 3.5 years ago) but I'm ready to get rid of them. I know I won't get much for them. They were a Scott Kay Platinum set which we paid about $4,500 in 1999 and the center stone wasn't anything special (we paid <$2,000 for it). Anyone done this and have any recommendations. Only think I can figure is to take it to a few local jewelers.

Thanks!

For some reason I've been hanging on to my engagement ring and wedding band (divorce was finalized 3.5 years ago) but I'm ready to get rid of them. I know I won't get much for them. They were a Scott Kay Platinum set which we paid about $4,500 in 1999 and the center stone wasn't anything special (we paid <$2,000 for it). Anyone done this and have any recommendations. Only think I can figure is to take it to a few local jewelers.

Thanks!
Depends on where you live. We go to this place called international jewelers exchange where independent jewelers buy/sell jewelry and high end watches. Wherever you go they will just melt it down and sell off the stone seperate. Don't do craigslist unless you agree to meet at a police station/fire station where you are not likely to get robbed.

Depends on where you live. We go to this place called international jewelers exchange where independent jewelers buy/sell jewelry and high end watches. Wherever you go they will just melt it down and sell off the stone seperate. Don't do craigslist unless you agree to meet at a police station/fire station where you are not likely to get robbed.

Thanks. I definitely don't want to get robbed so Craigslist wasn't a consideration :)

Last edited:

You don't have to sell it. Have it made into something new.

I actually have thought about that, but I'm guessing that will be expensive and my budget is pretty tight. But I have one recommendation of a local jeweler who buys jewelry and also makes custom jewelry so I might ask. I've also thought about keeping the diamond and having it made into a necklace for my dd for when she's older.

I actually have thought about that, but I'm guessing that will be expensive and my budget is pretty tight. But I have one recommendation of a local jeweler who buys jewelry and also makes custom jewelry so I might ask. I've also thought about keeping the diamond and having it made into a necklace for my dd for when she's older.
This is a sweet idea. :flower3:. If you're not desperate for the money, I think you'll be glad later on if you do this.

This may be silly and I have no idea what kind of relationship you still have with your ex but my opinion is that you get rid of it and treat yourself to something nice like a European cruise or a really nice watch. Every time you look at that diamond or jewelry made from that platinum, it may remind you of him. You may be surprised what an independent jeweler may offer you for the set.

This may be silly and I have no idea what kind of relationship you still have with your ex but my opinion is that you get rid of it and treat yourself to something nice like a European cruise or a really nice watch. Every time you look at that diamond or jewelry made from that platinum, it may remind you of him. You may be surprised what an independent jeweler may offer you for the set.

I actually have a decent watch--it's the only piece of jewelry he gave me that I will wear (I think partly because I picked it out). I think we paid $6K for the set and the center stone in the late 90s and I'd be happy to get $1,500 but not expecting that much. But I am thinking of putting what I get toward an Eastern Caribbean cruise next summer with my children.

I actually have a decent watch--it's the only piece of jewelry he gave me that I will wear (I think partly because I picked it out). I think we paid $6K for the set and the center stone in the late 90s and I'd be happy to get $1,500 but not expecting that much. But I am thinking of putting what I get toward an Eastern Caribbean cruise next summer with my children.
Good idea. Get rid of it. Platinum is selling at $1170 an ounce. Depending of the size of the rings and the value of the stone, you may be sitting on a nice anount of money.

I kept mine and gave them to DD on her 21st birthday. She was absolutely surprised and thrilled to have them. She decided to keep them as a set and wears them daily on her right hand.

Having said that, my divorce from her father was very amicable. Since my children are now grown I really don't see him at all anymore. Last time was 3 years ago at DS' graduation.

One recommendation is to shop around. My dad had a large button of gold from melted down jewelery he brought around to sell. Both jewelers are very reputable, local, family-owned stores. The first place offered him next to nothing and the other jewelery shop offered him over twice as much as the first. I was pretty surprised because I had friends who had sold their gold at the first store and were happy. I guess they should have shopped around too!

One recommendation is to shop around. My dad had a large button of gold from melted down jewelery he brought around to sell. Both jewelers are very reputable, local, family-owned stores. The first place offered him next to nothing and the other jewelery shop offered him over twice as much as the first. I was pretty surprised because I had friends who had sold their gold at the first store and were happy. I guess they should have shopped around too!
Same thing happened to me. I had some old herringbone and rope necklaces. Both were either beat up or just broken. Went to one of those cash for gold places in the mall who gave me a price that I thought was a joke. He was going to walk away with it before I decided and said I will let them know. Went to an independent jeweler who offered me more than double. Told him what they offered me. He told me they prey on the elderly who don't know any better.

Ugh.... I have so much to sell, but don't even know where to start! But have to start somewhere...'cause I have to pay for 2 Disney trips that my dh doesn't know about yet! :duck:

Ugh.... I have so much to sell, but don't even know where to start! But have to start somewhere...'cause I have to pay for 2 Disney trips that my dh doesn't know about yet! :duck:
I'm sorry. It's a pain and such a hassle when there's so much other stuff to handle.

I still haven't sold mine! No emotional attachment--it's been almost eight years.

I hung onto mine until both of my kids (from that marriage) were adults. Neither wanted it so I sold it to a local jeweler. I was happy not to see that thing sitting in my jewelry box anymore as I did not have fond memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter