Where to eat alone?

Suzabelle

Mouseketeer
Going to a conference in Disney for a few days before my family joins me. I'd like to eat at a few table service restaurants that my husband (the picky eater) typically wouldn't like. I'd like somewhere not too conspicuous where eating alone might look funny. I'll be going to Epcot one night, thinking San Angel Inn, any where else in the world recommended? Maybe Paradiso 37, the Wave? Would I look funny alone?

Thanks

Going to a conference in Disney for a few days before my family joins me. I'd like to eat at a few table service restaurants that my husband (the picky eater) typically wouldn't like. I'd like somewhere not too conspicuous where eating alone might look funny. I'll be going to Epcot one night, thinking San Angel Inn, any where else in the world recommended? Maybe Paradiso 37, the Wave? Would I look funny alone?

Thanks

I travel down to Disney a lot for work and conferences and eat alone quite a bit and truly, I have never felt funny about it. I keep myself busy with a book, my blackberry, or people watching.

I would make some reccomendations but it depends on the type of food you like. Some think the San Angel Inn can be "romantic" (I disagree) but that wouldn't be in my top 10 to eat it whether I was dining alone or with my a date, etc. Just my opinion.

If you eat at Biergarten, you won't eat alone, because they seat you with other people, which might be fun! I think that's the way it works at Teppan Edo, as well.

KC:flower3:

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking San Angel because it was dark and my husband would refuse to eat there, he's a meat and potatoes guy. I'm not as picky as he, likes meat, seafood, hate lamb, love veges and chocolate.

I have eaten alone at many different restaurants at WDW and never felt funny. If I were you, I would pick the restaurants you always wanted to try and couldn't go yet.

When I was an AP holder I went solo all the time and I usually travel solo for marathon weekend. I have never not eaten anywhere I wanted because I was alone. I have done everything from the character meals to the community seating and never felt the least bit awkward.

Just eat where you want and don't worry about it.

I travel down to Disney a lot for work and conferences and eat alone quite a bit and truly, I have never felt funny about it. I keep myself busy with a book, my blackberry, or people watching.

I would make some reccomendations but it depends on the type of food you like. Some think the San Angel Inn can be "romantic" (I disagree) but that wouldn't be in my top 10 to eat it whether I was dining alone or with my a date, etc. Just my opinion.

A fellow St. Louis Rams fan from northern NJ? Awesome!

Yes, I pretty unique in that respect. I just cancelled my season tickets last year - I couldn't take the losing anymore!!

Yea I know 2 other fans besides my brother and I. Yea the losing has been tough, but I gotta think the new regime will turn things around.

I have seen a lot of People eat at Teppen Edo alone and the seating is perfect for that.:thumbsup2

both have counter seating overlooking the kitchen. They can't be reserved specifically but I find these to be entertaining while you watch.

I've gone to WDW solo lots of times, so I've eaten at plenty of resturaunts solo. LeCellier at lunchtime was good because I could sit by the window and watch everyone walk by. Fun for people watching! Personally, I had a bad experience with the communal dining at Teppen Edo. I was seated next to a teenaged girl, who obviously had encountered her worst nightmare-being seated next to a middle-aged stranger (and she acted like she could just TELL I was a dreaded math teacher, besides!) And unfortunately, it was too loud in there to carry on a conversation with anyone but your nearest neighbor. One tip-wherever you go, be sure to tell them you're alone and would like something to look at during your meal since you won't have anyone to talk with. I've gotten some real nice views that way-tankside at Coral Reef, window tables, and generally, my servers have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable. And don't discount character meals, especially at the "convention-type" hotels, like Cape May Cafe, where you won't be the only solo there. It really makes the time go by to watch the kids interacting with the characters, and unless you bear a striking resembalance to Minnie or Goofy, no one's going to pay any attention to you except the servers.

Another thumbs up for the counter seating at Flying Fish on The Boardwalk. I think it was called something like "Captain's Bar." You sit at a gorgeous granite counter that overlooks the kitchen, and the chefs will chat with you the whole time (if you want). The food here was incredible as well!

I will go with u, my DH won't eat @ San Angel Inn either. I will never know how it is unless u take me::laughing:) lol

Most of my Disney trips are solo, and I've never felt awkward, or felt "on display" because I was a solo diner. A lot of times, I feel you get more attention from the CM's in the restaurants when you are dining solo. With as many conventions as they have going on, they are very used to solo diners.

I would just pick restaurants that appeal to you, and go for it! :thumbsup2

go anywhere you want! it's Disney, no one will look twice

i agree, bring a book, park maps, the unofficial guide, your itouch, your whatever. or just hang out and watch the world go by.

Eating solo is perfectly acceptable and you can literally eat anywhere in the world :thumbsup2

I ate solo twice in December, both in bars/lounges. Once at the California Grill and once at the Crew's Cup Lounge next to Yachtsman Steakhouse. In the past, I've had solo meals at Jiko's "cooking place" counter area, Flying Fish's counter area, and at the Tune In Lounge (part of 50's Prime Time at the Studios).

I've never felt out of place dining solo. Dining in bars/lounges attached to restaurants is a nice option.

Agree with previous poster. I've been alone at Disney a few times while waiting for other family members to arrive, and I looked for restaurants with bars so I could read my book and chat with the bartender. I ate at the Crew's Cup (which is good, but not all that adventurous, if that's what you are looking for.) I also ate at the bar at the Wave, which you mentioned and it was FABULOUS. Flying Fish, as others have mentioned, also has bar seating and is excellent. I have not been, but I hear the Stone Crab Lounge at Fulton's in DTD is also good. (I ate at Fulton's years ago, with my family, and it was pretty good.) Narcoosee's at the GF also has a bar and I believe you can order from the menu there as well.

I'll be alone for lunch on May2nd myself while waiting for my sis and bil, so I may try Paradiso 37!

Thanks for all the replies. I may rethink some of the meals. I only have 3 days on my own. My daughter would eat with me at San Angel Inn, just not hubby. At 11 she has twice the grown up pallet that he does. I would like to try flying fish and jiko, so may take another look at that as does Fulton's. Been to Disney so many times, it'll be nice walking around by myself without the usual tug to run from ride to ride. I'm especially looking forward to being in Epcot with the Food & Wine. Usually I feel guilty making them wait around while I stand in lines for the food.

Thanks for all the help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter