• VDH

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters

supercarrie

DIS Veteran
Where would you buy?

We have 100 BLT resale points and are in the market for 150-175 direct points. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the current Riv incentives or hold out for Poly. We briefly entertained a VDH contract, but had a hard time justifying buying there - we live approx. 10 minutes from DLR so day visits are the norm. We plan to visit WDW annually for ~1 week in studios and 1 bedrooms.

Two parents and one 7 year old boy. Occasionally Grandma might join on trips. Epcot is by far our fave park (all around) with AK and MK in the second tier, HS last. Fairly flexible as to time of year for visit.

It might come down to which one is hardest to book at 7 months for a studio or 1 bedroom standard view - any predictions there?

Riv (I will be 84 in 2070)
-good current incentives
-Skyliner access to IG - we are huge Epcot fans
-very peaceful especially relative to Poly
-given we already have a monorail resort, would be a nice balance to have an Epcot resort area contract, too
-point chart is high (not as high as Poly, though!)
-4 years more on contract (if Poly expires 2066 as expected)
-higher dues than Poly
-pool was underwhelming

Poly (I will be 80 in 2066)
-our fave overall resort to visit
-love the decor, love the "vibes"
-likely very high demand/hard to get into at 7 months (assume the new tower will be harder to get into than Riv?)
-expect to pay more per point and have a higher point chart (how much more for both is the question)
-no resale restrictions (likely)
-easy access to MK and somewhat easy access to Epcot (how much will the tower affect transportation, though?)
-increasingly crowded and chaotic in lobby

VDH (I will be 88 in 2074)
-longest length contract
-we could fall back on staycations if we can't fly for whatever reason
-LOVED the villas during model tour
-with Disneyland Forward a strong probability, could increase in value
-highest cost
-transient tax

If we did buy in this round, we'd probably hold off until just before June 24 in case the incentives get better in summer. However, I'm planning on opening a couple new credit cards for the sign-up bonuses, so need to make a decision fairly soon if we are buying in June/July.

Keep in mind, those are not your only Direct options. If you like Boardwalk or Beach Club, those get you to Epcot without the (sometimes undependable) Skyliner - but you can still use it to go eat at all the Skyliner resorts ;)

I wouldn't count on VDH increasing in value with the resale restrictions. It's also been a slower seller than people would have thought.

Keep in mind, those are not your only Direct options. If you like Boardwalk or Beach Club, those get you to Epcot without the (sometimes undependable) Skyliner - but you can still use it to go eat at all the Skyliner resorts ;)
Buying BCV or BWV direct is kinda ultra bananas though. Boardwak is $240pp, and BCV is $275.

Buying BCV or BWV direct is kinda ultra bananas though. Boardwak is $240pp, and BCV is $275.
I admit for someone younger - that 2042 expiration is kinda soon. But having Priority where you want to be (in their case, Epcot) is important - those two have tough availability for non owners. Another option is to sell off the BLT and get Poly just to have easier access thru the Transportation Center to Epcot (although a fairly long walk from the new Tower if it's hot out).

Side note, think about whether you'd want to split the contract you buy 75/75 for example. Easy and not that expensive to do it at purchase, have not heard of them allowing anyone to split one later.

Also consider which part of EPCOT you love. EPCOT is also our favorite - we spend most evenings in the WS regardless of our AM park. And while I've heard some people say that monorail from Poly to EPCOT isn't that much longer than the skyliner, it's not really a fair comparison if you aren't going to regularly spend time in FW. I'm a walker but even I don't love the walk back from the World Showcase to the monorail late night. SO much easier to walk to a Crescent Lake resort or skyliner to RIV.

I think you'll have to decide what's most important to you. The vibe/theme? The location?

For me, theme/vibe would probably win.

If you already have a MK resort, an Epcot area would might be nice to switch things up.
Indeed, that is really what it comes down to. And how much more I'm willing to pay for vibes, given the likely higher cost per point, higher point chart, etc. And it's not like I'll be shut out of Poly forever... this is hard, especially without the full picture of Poly tower.

Maybe I need to just buy points at each. 🤣

If I lived in SoCal I would want a bucket of VDH points for special occasions. Day trips to DLand are such a night and day difference from a multi night staycation.

There are so few villas there that I’d want the priority booking window for those.

You are going to get very skewed answers towards WDW here just because the majority DVC members are WDW based.

Last edited:
If I lived in SoCal I would want a bucket of VDH points for special occasions. Day trips to DLand are such a night and day difference from a multi night staycation.

There are so few villas there that I’d want the priority booking window for those.

You are going to get very skewed answers towards WDW here just because the majority DVC members are WDW based.
Very true...you make such a good argument! The few times we've paid cash and stayed on property, it has been amazing.

I'm just far away enough we rent a hotel about every other trip (to be there at Rope Drop and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening without driving home)... there are so many nice hotels close by I can usually argue a trip to DL Hotel Pool Bar, or Trader Sam's is enough... but if you EVER want to stay there, you'd want to have points there, as AstroBlasters mentioned, there are very few rooms even with both GrandCa and new DLH. I made a point to look up how many rooms of each type are available before purchasing. It's available somewhere online - but I like using the DVC Field Guide ($13? https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/) it has so many helpful facts all in one place.

I'm just far away enough we rent a hotel about every other trip (to be there at Rope Drop and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening without driving home)... there are so many nice hotels close by I can usually argue a trip to DL Hotel Pool Bar, or Trader Sam's is enough... but if you EVER want to stay there, you'd want to have points there, as AstroBlasters mentioned, there are very few rooms even with both GrandCa and new DLH. I made a point to look up how many rooms of each type are available before purchasing. It's available somewhere online - but I like using the DVC Field Guide ($13? https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/) it has so many helpful facts all in one place.
There is something about being able to walk/monorail back to room between 2-5…. kick back in the room/pool/bar…. and then have a nice ADR booked and then enjoy the festivities while other people are dragging themselves out of the park as soon as a parade or fireworks are over….

I admit for someone younger - that 2042 expiration is kinda soon. But having Priority where you want to be (in their case, Epcot) is important - those two have tough availability for non owners. Another option is to sell off the BLT and get Poly just to have easier access thru the Transportation Center to Epcot (although a fairly long walk from the new Tower if it's hot out).

Side note, think about whether you'd want to split the contract you buy 75/75 for example. Easy and not that expensive to do it at purchase, have not heard of them allowing anyone to split one later.
I just cannot see the value in buying either BEV or BCV direct. Buy resale and only use at those resorts, sure. Pay full retail for a 2042 resort? Nooooo.

I own at RIV and love it there. I have not had any issues with the Skyliner except when it is down for storms or maintenance and then there is bus service available. The rooms at RIV from the Tower Studios on up are very comfortable and modern. We don't really know anything yet about the Poly expansion such as cost or what the rooms will be like. You will still be able to get in there at 7 months if you purchase at RIV.

After watching a recent DVC Fan episode I decided I probably won't buy in direct at the California locations unless something drastic changes, like more parks further away from each other. Probably stick to lucky 7 month bookings and maybe a small cheap resale contract (if they ever decide to exist).

The area is so small and closely packed together in the Disneyland area that you can stay at mutliple non-Disney hotels for much cheaper while still staying within very close walking distance to all of the parks. Its not like Florida where it spans over multiple large areas and you want to be in the "bubble"

So I would do Riviera or Poly

I would only buy direct if the points were unrestricted so that would be poly or aulani and since we aren’t west coasters then that means we wait for poly to go on active sales. But you may favor home priority booking over worst case scenario and needing to resale this luxury purchase. I hope I never sale but I would rather know if I do I am going to take as little hit as possible. Obviously I have no way of knowing what resale looks like on 10 or 20 years but I do now how it has looked for the past 5 and 10 and only have the history as my guide.

I would be torn between RIV and OKW. I am currently wanting to add about 200 points and am in this situation.

RIV is our favorite resort and we love the access to EPCOT and HS. We currently have direct points here but need to add on as more extended family is joining us on trips now.

Overall we have had great success with the skyliner, but the few times it has been down, or at Park close when the line is long, we have just used UBER to get back to RIV quickly. In the grand scheme of how much we spend on DVC and our Disney trips, budgeting $75 or so for the maybe 5 Uber trips we take is well worth the convenience at a very small relative cost.

That said, historically RIV preferred views have had really good availability at 7 months, and we like this view, so I am having a hard time passing up the initial buy in savings at OKW. While I do not like the resale restrictions, in making my decision I am wondering if there will continue to be decent availability for the preferred view rooms at 7 months because of them, and if that proves true, and we could use OKW points to regularly book RIV at 7 months then the upfront cost savings is very appealing purchasing OKW.

Also, OKW is not restricted and it is the extended contract to 2057, which for resale is holding at about $105-110/point which isn’t too bad given current price/point buy in should we decide to sell in the future.

So I am voting OKW in the poll (narrow margin over RIV) as that is the way I am leaning right now. Although we will see if I change my own mind again in an hour……

Other: Old Key West for me also.

I am considering between 150-300 points right now with the current promotion at OKW. Might be the cheapest we ever see direct points again at the 300 point level ($135 per point, before Magical Beginnings promo - which would be $6000 back). Split it into 2 150 point contracts or even 4 75 point contracts and sell them off in the future if you end up seeing a better deal that you like later.

I am not a direct member yet and this is pretty tempting for me.

What were your travel habits prior to having a child? More specifically, how often were you traveling to WDW?

Personally, I don't expect to hold our contracts until expiration due to changes in travel that will come as our child ages. We will still go to Disney parks but WDW will likely become less frequent which will make our DVC points less useful. I expect the resale restrictions to negatively impact the resale prices of Riv/VDH long term so I would be looking at Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter