Where is the best to stay with young kids

We recently bought into Sara, but we are looking to buy more points on the resale market to give us a second home base.(to take advantage of the 11 month ressie window.) What resorts are the best for younger kids (5 year old and a 1 year old). We have heard about BCV and OKW, are they the best?? Any help you can give us will be appreciated. Also how had is it to book these places if you use the 7 month window? Do they book fast ? (we are looking at June,July, Augest visit months):earsboy: ::MinnieMo

I own at BCV and think it would be great for your 5 & 1 year olds.::yes::

Storm-A-Long Bay has a sand beach/zero entry area, as part of the pool, that is just perfect for tikes. It has a large/shallow area that will allow for hours of worry free play.

Also, at SAB's ship wreck, on the back side, there is a small water slide for kids, just perfect for your little ones again. The Boardwalk area is also very nice early in the evening for little ones. And you can get there with a 5-minute walk. :wave2:

It is tough to book BCV in the busy summer without the 11-month window.

For my money, it's OKW - lots of space inside and out in a much more relaxed atmosphere than the other DVC resorts. We've taken our Grandson's (2 and 3) every year. We move out the coffee table in the 2 BDR living room, spread the quilt from the king bed on the floor and they boys have a ball! They love to feed the ducks from the patio, too. The new slide at the main pool will also be an enhancement.

2nd most favorite for the boys is the lobby at WL with the small bridge at the rear and the ramp down to the pool exit - lots of room to run.

The summer months are actually among the easiest to book at the 7 month window. IMHO, there is no need to buy another resort for the 11 month advantage if you mostly plan to visit during the summer.

FWIW, since you already own SSR, I would not buy OKW - even though I think it is a great resort. The locations are much too similar.

Instead, I would consider VWL for its proximity to the MK (kids love the boat ride to MK) and its wonderful decorations during the Christmas Holiday season. Your children are still young enough so that you could visit during early December (low crowds & points) if you and your spouse can work out the vacation/work scvhedules. For that you'd need the 11 month window.

BCV or BWV are also good choices - walking distance to two parks. Great location for Food & Wine Festival (again the 11 month advantage is a good idea for this time). As your children grow, they (and you) may enjoy EPCOT & MGM more than the MK.

Best wishes -

I would go with BCV or VWL for the reasons listed by others - I agree that OKW is not a the best companion add on due to location

thanks
jaysue

I would either go with VWL for proximity to the MK and the wonderful theming of this resort or BCV for the fabulous pool and the perfect Epcot location... I also think BWV would be a good selection because you'd have the option of booking a non-preferred view for fewer points if one is available when you go. I do think the pool is better at BCV for young kids, though.

Have fun deciding,
Sarah

I'd avoid BCV.

SAB is a great pool, but watching an eight year old and a three year old there would age me about four years. The moment your five year old is too old for the zero entry area and wants to be in the deep water, but your little one can't keep up, until your five year old is old enough that he doesn't need to be watched will be difficult years for SAB.

VWL for access to the MK.

Originally posted by crisi
I'd avoid BCV.

SAB is a great pool, but watching an eight year old and a three year old there would age me about four years. The moment your five year old is too old for the zero entry area and wants to be in the deep water, but your little one can't keep up, until your five year old is old enough that he doesn't need to be watched will be difficult years for SAB.

VWL for access to the MK.

Good point on SAB - I can see on a trip where it was only DW or myself that we would avoid BCV on that trip for that reason

thanks
jaysue

Personally, I would add on at the resort that YOU like. Kids grow up very fast and which resort may be best for a 5 yo & 1 yo (which btw, I think is without a doubt a MK resort) will be very different in a few years. Take if from someone that now looks at my adult children and says: Where did the time go? It literally seems like just a few years ago they were babies--time flies very, very quickly and the kids and their likes and desires change just as quickly!
I would add on at the resort that you like the best and then stay at the various resorts that are the best fit for your kids at their various ages. That is what is so great about DVC!
One thing I would keep in mind is the difference in the length of the contract (50 yrs vs 38 yrs) and also the varying value of resale and resort demand/trading advantages of the various DVC resorts. These things can very much add to the actual cash value of a DVC contract. Although DVC should not be bought as an investment; it is still a substantial assest, that can be sold for a cash value, and should be valued as such.

I would go with BWV, BCV, or VWL - which ever you like best. They are all great for kids - for different reasons as everyone has pointed out.

And the reason why I say not to go with OKW, is not because it isn't also good for kids - but because you have a much better chance of booking that resort at the 7 month window. With the others, for some times of the year, you need the resort ownership window.

And when your older one wants to go to the deeper parts of the pool, the parents split up, or you take the little one with you. There are no age restrictions in the pool, and with the life jackets and tubes, the little one will be safe and have a great time also. There is no need to avoid BCV.

If you plan on keeping your DVC points for the remainder of the contracts, you should take the longer view. And in taking the longer view, decide what do you like?

Personally, if money were no object, I'd love points at OKW and VWL. We already own at BCV.

There are pros to every resort. Find the ones that mean the most to you and find a resale there.

I can tell you why we chose BCV when our kids were, at the time, 5 and 6. Central location to all of WDW. You aren't far from anything. We had never even stayed at the BC - we bought sight unseen - so SAB was a joyful perk to us. We love to swim so any pool would have sufficed.

I would love VWL for the theming and OKW for the space and perceived quiet on my part.

SSR looks interesting to me, but since it's similar to OKW, and I like OKW better, I don't think I'd choose to own there.

Same with BWV. I already own at BCV, which is in the same area.

You know best what is most important to you. Have fun!

We own at VWL, and I wish we had bought BCV instead. Our guide convinced us to buy there, because that was what she was selling at the time. However out of 4 trips we have only stayed at VWL once.

Having said that we like VWL and and think it is a good resort for young kids. I think for the above reasons BCV is great, and my 1st choice. The locations is wonderful and the pool is great. Kids all ages can have fun in it. (also I just adore the theming.)

I would agree that OKW would not be the best choice since you own at SSR already. Also we found that walking with young children and strollers was very difficult for us (especailly in the rain, WVL, and BCV you can do most of the walk inside or under a covered walkway.) Also they have elevators (good for getting kids in strollers to the room.) OKW being as large as it is, getting in can be easier too.

Visit the different resorts, and buy where you like best. Do you need to add on at a different resort? Depending on the time of year you may be able to get in with out much problems, I think it is easier when all your points are at one resort (but then what do I know, I only own at one resort.)

I agree wholehearedly on SAB, I have been avoiding the property like the plauge. I find the pool there very very hard to keep track of my varying aged kids. The little ones are in the zero entry and my bigger DS is in the other area and going back and forth to the slide. I just can not see all 3 of them at the same time. I travel with other family members, But I hate to have someone else be responsible for older ds all day in the pool. It also means I do not see him most of the day. Everyone volunteers to watch him so far there have been no takers for watching the little ones. :p Actually the last time we were there we left after about an hour and the lifeguard actually told me he wondered how long I would last chasing back and forth. I was mortified. I guess he thought the little ones unruly.:rolleyes:

That being said I just recieved my first request in a year for BCV for October 05. From older ds. So I guess we will be back if we can get it at 7mts which at that time of year I doubt.:D

Thanks to all that responded, we really appreciate all the inside knowledge you all bring. I guess we have a tough decision to make. All your input is great, if any one has more info please pass it on. You all are great thank you!!!!!!:smooth: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Well all your help paid off. We decided to go with both VWL and BCV. We decided that OKW would to close to Sara for comfort. We are still pondering if we should add on BWV, any more input from you all would be helpfull? You have been such a help already, but ant more input would be great.:wave2: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

I think all the DVC resorts are super kid-friendly and anyone would be great for your family. Just like to say we choose BWV as our home resort for several reasons. We have a 3 1/2 yo and another on the way. We loved the location - you can walk or boat to both Epcot and MGM. Lots of great restaurants to choose from close by to home. Community Hall is a wonderful feature where they have activities going on for the little ones throuout the day plus they have arcade type games, some toys, coloring pages and crayons for anyones use. This is also where you can sign out a "noodle" for the pool and buy some fresh popped popcorn. My DD loves to visit community hall to check out the activities and to get her popcorn. What I love about owning BWV is the lower point structure for "standard" points that are hard to get if you do not have the 11 month window. We get the BWV location with the equivalent of OKW points.

Originally posted by welove Mickey/Minney
Well all your help paid off. We decided to go with both VWL and BCV. :wave2: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

Great choices! I couldn't decide between these two either. I own at both VWL and BCV and love them equally!:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter