Where in WDW do you eat dinner the day before a race?

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
We are trying to figure out how to have a good, healthy meal with carbs without eating an overly heavy meal. We went to eat grilled salmon with a side of lightly buttered pasta on the evening before a long run. Looking at menus, I cannot figure out where we should eat. The best options I have seen so far are room service kids meals at Beach Club.

What and where do you eat before a race? And what time? This is our first race, and we run our long runs starting between 8:30/9 am. I wonder if we should eat earlier than usual. Hmm.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

VP

The day before we ran the marathon in Jan we had a late lunch/early dinner before an early bed time. We ate at the AOA food court where I got a "make your own pasta" dish (chicken pesto, pasta, garlic, spinach). I've even done that for lunch before the nighttime W&D 1/2's I've done. I believe DH had a burger (hes a believer of don't do anything different before a race).

For the 10K and 1/2 at the recent Wine and Dine weekend we just spent the day before each race grazing around the F&W Festival. We even ended the night before the half with a few drinks at ESPN while we watched a game. It wasn't the healthiest way to do it, but it worked for us. ;)

Good luck!

I had grilled chicken sandwich at The Plaza before my last race. We had an ADR for Tony's but switched it bc of a FP+ conflict. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't stuff myself with pasta.

We've done Pizza at our All-Star Sports foodcourt, Pasta your way at Riverside and Art of Animation. We plan for 5:00 but many times it's more like 5:30.

The make your own pasta at AOA was the Star Wars half meal, we ate at the ABC comissary and had a strip steak/fries/green beans for the Wine and Dine. Both worked.

Epcot has a similar steak meal in the America pavilion. I had roast chicken and beans & rice and steamed broccoli at the Caribbean Beach before Wine & Dine.

Even though what you eat is important. I think a big thing to remember is when you eat. The Disney races are early - 5:30am start for the 10k, Half and Full, the 5k is a half hour later. Now depending on what Corrall you are in your actual start time could be as much as about 45 minutes past the first starting gun. Still, a light and early dinner is what I recommend. Stay away from the resort restaurants you are dying to eat at. Two year's ago I went to O'Hana the night before the Marathon; at about 7:45pm... A huge mistake I paid for dearly the next day!

I want to echo what @Baloo in MI said - timing is everything. When I spoke to Jeff Galloway a few years back at the first Star Wars expo he gave me some great advice. He said to have a late lunch as your big meal the day before (he suggested around 2:30 or 3pm), then a snack at about 7pm before bed. I've done this for every race since and it has really changed how I feel on the course the next morning.

Also important to remember to not eat anything new! Stick to what you know works for you pre-race.

Via Napoli for me.

Biggest piece of advice - wherever you eat, whatever you eat, I wouldn't suggest trying something you've never eaten before the night before a race. Or an all-you-can-eat. :)

Via Napoli for me.

Biggest piece of advice - wherever you eat, whatever you eat, I wouldn't suggest trying something you've never eaten before the night before a race. Or an all-you-can-eat. :)
This. Also if you know something affects you when you have a run the next morning even if it's something you eat normally don't eat it. I love ice cream and eat it regularly while in Disney but eating it the night before a big race is a bad decision I won't be making again.

Even though what you eat is important. I think a big thing to remember is when you eat. The Disney races are early - 5:30am start for the 10k, Half and Full, the 5k is a half hour later. Now depending on what Corrall you are in your actual start time could be as much as about 45 minutes past the first starting gun. Still, a light and early dinner is what I recommend. Stay away from the resort restaurants you are dying to eat at. Two year's ago I went to O'Hana the night before the Marathon; at about 7:45pm... A huge mistake I paid for dearly the next day!

We went to Ohana as well at about 7 PM the night before Wine and Dine this year. Put me down as that being a "mistake" as well. Once the race started I was okay, but I would not do it again. ;)

I tend to do carbs in the morning/afternoon versus dinner before WDW races. So, either a big brunch or lunch (my favorite is the macaroni gratin at Chefs de France or the Chicken Alfredo at Brown Derby), and then I like light, lean protein for dinner - sushi, chicken breast along with salad to prepare for the next day and all the garbage-y fuel that I'll eat. For Dopey, I won't eat red meat all week and certainly no buffets/AYCTE/BBQ or anything heavy in saucing, spice or the like that I haven't had before.

Also, remember that most (if not all) of Disney restaurants can do substitutions on things. If salmon and pasta is what you prefer, find a restaurant that offers salmon prepare the way you like and ask if the chef can sub in a side of pasta or other whole grain for you. Also, many of the restaurants at the resorts will add in special meals for Race Weekend - so just keep an eye out for those.

I want to echo what @Baloo in MI said - timing is everything. When I spoke to Jeff Galloway a few years back at the first Star Wars expo he gave me some great advice. He said to have a late lunch as your big meal the day before (he suggested around 2:30 or 3pm), then a snack at about 7pm before bed. I've done this for every race since and it has really changed how I feel on the course the next morning.

Also important to remember to not eat anything new! Stick to what you know works for you pre-race.

For real! Seriously, at home, my favorite "dinner" before a long run is all-natural turkey lunchmeat, cold baby carrots and maybe a few crackers or a pickle. Then I'll have peanut butter crackers when I wake up the next morning before I leave for the run.

This. Also if you know something affects you when you have a run the next morning even if it's something you eat normally don't eat it. I love ice cream and eat it regularly while in Disney but eating it the night before a big race is a bad decision I won't be making again.

Yes, I second this. I wasn't really thinking when I ordered my Pasta the night before the wine & dine half a few weeks ago and had them put broccoli (I like it but really don't eat it often because it can be a killer on my digestive tract). Well I had a few issues the next morning before & during the race which I'm pretty sure was the broccoli which at Riverside doesn't even really get cooked in it. Oops. My tip I need to remember myself is, when on vacation don't let your common sense food brain check out before the race(s), always think...what would I eat at home.

Things that worked and didn't according to my experience at Dopey 2016:
Truffle fries--Big Fat NO
Onion ring sample platter--big fat NO
By the time the half rolled around I just walked into places and asked for plain pasta. I've found everyone to be really nice and accommodating at the restaurants because they know it's race weekend and I don't want to barf up on the course. Also, by the time the marathon rolls around my bed is just default at 5pm because I'm going to be passed out and in bed by 7pm.

We did portobello in Disney springs before princess and it was just ok. I ended up with chicken and pasta and only ate about half because it was too much before a race. I ate around 5:00 I think so that I wasn't going to bed on a full stomach.

Frankly, DH just packed a bunch of dry pasta, bagels, etc. and we had a DVC 1 BR and cooked there all four evenings.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm a little big regretting not staying DVC this trip so I could cook for us, but I've browsed a million menus and think we can pull off a good early dinner somewhere close to Beach Club. Good reminder on the broccoli thing! I have made that mistake before a long run myself!

VP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter