Where have you stayed pre cruise for Civitavecchia?

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
We're booked on the 2022 Greek Isles cruise out of Civitavecchia. We'll fly in Tuesday and I'm thinking about staying in Tuscany. I was considering spending the pre night cruise near the port, but the hotels look Meh and it seems a shame to throw out any night in Italy. Where have you stayed that was't right at the port yet was easy to get to the next morning? Thanks.

We stayed in Rome and spent a couple of days there visiting. The port is about 90 minutes away. We took a private car the morning of the cruise.

We spent three nights in Rome before heading to Civitavecchia the day before our cruise. I wouldn't do that again, as there really isn't much to see or do in Civitavecchia. We should have just stayed in Rome for the extra night and arranged for our transfer to the port the morning of our cruise. It's really not that far. I agree with the PP that it's probably about a 90 minute drive. We used Rome In Limo for our transfers as well as several tours. They are fantastic!

If you do decide to stay in Civitavecchia, we stayed at a lovely B&B (La Casa Sul Mare booked through Booking.com). Considering the not so great hotel options in that city I would definitely recommend them if you decide to go that route. (but stay in Rome :goodvibes )

https://www.disboards.com/threads/tell-me-about-rome-civitavecchia.3830038/
We stayed at a perfect AirBnB in the Trajan Forum. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23880958
We did a ride share van to the port, but next time, I'll take the train. https://sharedshuttle.it/
Avoid taking the train to the cruise. There are frequent strikes - particularly in the summer - and the trains get cancelled / delayed. Do a private transfer (or a one-way rental) to the cruise. You can do the train on your way back if time permits.

Agreed with the rest - no need to stay in Civitavecchia. If you want to avoid the busy (and expensive) city center, Rome Marriott Park Hotel has a very good location. Close to the airport and just outside the city center, its highway access will help you get to the port very quickly in the morning. As a bonus, the hotel is a good family property with pools and gardens.

We're booked on the 2022 Greek Isles cruise out of Civitavecchia. We'll fly in Tuesday and I'm thinking about staying in Tuscany. I was considering spending the pre night cruise near the port, but the hotels look Meh and it seems a shame to throw out any night in Italy. Where have you stayed that was't right at the port yet was easy to get to the next morning? Thanks.
Stay in the city. Getting to port is not bad. Not super easy but with planning worth it. If you pay for a car service a no brainer. We took the train. If eldery or not able to deal with chaos and crowds don’t do that. The train itself was nice but depending on the time of day getting from the train station to the ship can be chaos. We also arrived mid day when supposedly the shuttle from the train station to port headed many hour long siesta break. And cabs were nowhere to be found. Was a bit strange because all my online research never mentioned that so maybe we just had bad luck??But we are cheap lol and saved tons of money. Getting from the boat to the train station was not as stressful because everything was there and just required waiting in lines. You just follow the flow when we arrived we were literally a handful of people that need to get to the port.

We stayed in a lovely Air B&B near the Trevi Fountain. Hired a car service to take us to the port morning of our cruise.

What car service are people using? Has anyone had a problem doing a shared service?

I stayed in Rome near Villa Borghese and it was a great location for seeing all of the tourist sights in the city without being super congested. I pre-booked private transportation through the port website, which was really convenient and took about an hour door to door the morning of embarkation. There's no need to stay any closer to Civitavecchia than that.

I stayed in Rome near Villa Borghese and it was a great location for seeing all of the tourist sights in the city without being super congested. I pre-booked private transportation through the port website, which was really convenient and took about an hour door to door the morning of embarkation. There's no need to stay any closer to Civitavecchia than that.
Thank you for the info on the private transportation. We’ve always used DCL transfers in the past but they now require you to stay at the hotel you want transfers from. So thanks again.

Hotel Lirico in Rome for a couple of nights before.

Was that mad expensive? (if you don't mind sharing).
I don’t mind at all. 12 years ago, it was 125 euros one way from our hotel in the center of Rome to the ship. Today, the same company - Stefano’s Romecabs - charges 130 euros for 2 guests.

The airport transfer to the hotel was 45 euros then and it is now 50 euros. we arrived in Fiumicino.

I don’t mind at all. 12 years ago, it was 125 euros one way from our hotel in the center of Rome to the ship. Today, the same company - Stefano’s Romecabs - charges 130 euros for 2 guests.

The airport transfer to the hotel was 45 euros then and it is now 50 euros. we arrived in Fiumicino.
Thank you!! :-)

Does anyone know of some other good cities to stay in before a cruise? We are planning to go Florence -> Cruise -> Rome, but not sure if the 3 hour drive from Florence the day of is too risky and would rather wait for Rome until after the cruise.

Haven’t been before, but are booked for Greek Isles next July. We are flying into London and staying 2 nights there, then heading to Paris for 3 nights (and hit Disneyland Paris), and then to Rome for 2 nights before we board the cruise. Then staying 2 more nights in Barcelona after cruise.

We stayed in Rome, but I see that you are doing that post-cruise. Somewhere in Tuscany would be nice. Siena or Grosseto, maybe? There’s not a whole lot to see/do in Civitavecchia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter