Where have I been? Prices are obscene!

I check the pricing every so often and found a vgt that gave me a discount and child fair for the vgt about 40 days out. didn't work for four people so I had to book 2 they are next to each other on deck 10 4a's are what we got $700 per cabin for 2 . 3 day Dream, like everything you just have to be a little flexible and shop to find the deal, and the kids don't mind missing a day of school.LOL:cool1::banana:

Based on previous years opening day pricing dates, pricing did not go up by that much. But it's possible they adjusted the low season dates...

I have cruised both extensively and find the offerings similar IMO. Besides the entertainment where Disney is mostly Disney centric most everything from service to food is equal. I cruise in suites and that is my opinion. Yes Disney is Disney but for the cost IMO the difference does not justify at that level and time of sailing.

I am afriadd I totally disagree with your position. The facts are Disney Cruise Line offers a very specail type of cruise, and better then most lines.

If you dont feel its worth the money then don't sail DCL.

Apparently others feel the price is proper for the cruise being provided. If they don't the price will come down

AKK

Why are you even "giving free advice" when you apparently don't know what you're giving advice about?

All one-bedrooms are concierge. And yes, they are one-bedrooms, with a separate living room. You cannot book a one-bedroom on DCL without paying the concierge upcharge. Some people save their money to sail only concierge (no, I'm not one of them) and that is their right without you judging them for it, much less posting information when you haven't done your research.

The change in concierge pricing has been drastic on the new ships without a significant change in service or itinerary, which is why people think it's worth posting about. If you can't be bothered to learn about a topic before posting in a thread as if you already have, just try reading the thread without posting and learn something instead. ;)

:thumbsup2

How many other cruise lines can you put 5 in a suite (much less 7)? That's the main reason why we chose DCL.

Almost all of the other lines have equally outrageously expensive suites, but they surely only want to put four or less people in them. What in the heck is up with that??!! The same thing with hotel rooms. You can get an 1800 sqft hotel suite, but it will only sleep four (and sometimes 3).

Me with many hotels: "So, you'd rather I pay $250/nt each for two rooms, than (insert outrageously large number here)/nt and put a roll away in that gigantic suite mam?", "Yes, that's our policy". I'll just find another hotel.

Is there something wrong with my wanting to put all five of our family in one container? Apparently cruise ships and hotels thinks so (except Disney cruise ships and hotels of course, and they are the ones that tend get our money because of it).

Just to chime in a little. We do have a cruise reserved for Memorial Day week 2013 that we booked on opening day. When the 2014 prices were published, the same week (Memorial Day week 2014) generated a 19% increase in fare cost for us from 2013. Just did not make us jump for it considering it will be going to the exact same ports of call as in 2013.

As some have already mentioned, perhaps a different vacation during the same week might be better.

DWF

How many other cruise lines can you put 5 in a suite (much less 7)? That's the main reason why we chose DCL.

Almost all of the other lines have equally outrageously expensive suites, but they surely only want to put four or less people in them. What in the heck is up with that??!! The same thing with hotel rooms. You can get an 1800 sqft hotel suite, but it will only sleep four (and sometimes 3).

Me with many hotels: "So, you'd rather I pay $250/nt each for two rooms, than (insert outrageously large number here)/nt and put a roll away in that gigantic suite mam?", "Yes, that's our policy". I'll just find another hotel.

Is there something wrong with my wanting to put all five of our family in one container? Apparently cruise ships and hotels thinks so (except Disney cruise ships and hotels of course, and they are the ones that tend get our money because of it).

Points well taken. I will mention that oftentimes (especially overseas), we will have a problem even getting a room for our family of four. Typically, three will be the maximum allowed. I have heard there are local laws usually limiting the number of people in a room, allegedly to prevent illegal acts (let your imagination run wild with that). Regardless, it is irritating in this day and age that my family of four oftentimes cannot get a single room when we travel. No, it is not usually a problem in the US or Mexico (although has been in Hawaii for some reason).

DWF

Tonka's Skipper said:
I am afriadd I totally disagree with your position. The facts are Disney Cruise Line offers a very specail type of cruise, and better then most lines.

If you dont feel its worth the money then don't sail DCL.

Apparently others feel the price is proper for the cruise being provided. If they don't the price will come down

AKK

Do you really believe this? If your thinking was true there would not be massive amounts of KSF, GT rates, military discounts and any other specials DCL has been running to fill their ships.

GoofyTwinDad said:
Do you really believe this? If your thinking was true there would not be massive amounts of KSF, GT rates, military discounts and any other specials DCL has been running to fill their ships.

Disney doesn't offer these deals on a continual basis during peak travel. None of the other lines offer great deals either, but every other day, I get emails from various cruise lines offering great deals during off peak travel. I believe all ships and vacation destinations offer better deals to fill rooms.

OP, I totally hear you. That's the trouble with "peak" travel no matter if you are flying, cruising, driving, or staying at a hotel. When the kids were young (before middle school) we'd take them out of school with no issues at all (we don't live in Texas or Georgia or any of the other states which levy fines for unexcused absences) because we wanted to take advantage of lower rates and smaller crowds. Now, it's a bummer to have to restrict travel to traditional winter, spring and summer breaks. I would have loved to have taken a Disney cruise over Christmas, but the prices were just out of sight. But not for everyone! Those ships get filled, so Disney is just following the model that is most profitable.

You won't see all those specials for the summer months, spring break periods and holiday. Disney tends to cater to families with children and school is a huge constraint. That is why you can book a cruise in Feb for a fraction of what a June cruise costs.

Disney is unique and that is beyond contestation. No other cruise line offers the Disney theme and that is VERY popular with families. Tell an 8 yo they are going on a Disney cruise and he will be excited....even if he doesn't know what a cruise is. :-)

mlayton14 said:
How exactly do you pay $1400 for 2 verandah staterooms?

I'm not the one who posted this amount, but I will say we sailed in two connecting 4Bs (pixie dusted up from 4Ds) for a 4-night Dream cruise for $1600 (1 adult and 1 kid in each) in October on a FL resident deal. So it's possible. But rare. But I do keep looking...hoping...dreaming... ;)

I'm not the one who posted this amount, but I will say we sailed in two connecting 4Bs (pixie dusted up from 4Ds) for a 4-night Dream cruise for $1600 (1 adult and 1 kid in each) in October on a FL resident deal. So it's possible. But rare. But I do keep looking...hoping...dreaming... ;)

Wow!!!! Now that is a great deal. Note to self: move to Fla. :

carpenta said:
Wow!!!! Now that is a great deal. Note to self: move to Fla. :

Yeah. But then you'd have to LIVE in Fl. I've lived here my whole life, but even I know it's not normal here. ;)

I agree with PP regarding trying to put our family of 5 into a ship cabin or hotel room. Major pain sometimes. Crazy that they don't want to put more than 3 or 4 people in a huge suite.

We have sailed DCL 6 times so far, all in T (1 bedroom) or R (royal) suites and the prices have really shot up, especially on newer ships and peak times.

I looked out of curiosity at the Fantasy 2013 NYE sailing (have friends going) and was shocked to see only mid level regular verandah rooms left quoting at an outrageous 14,000!! That old supply and demand.

When 2014 released we looked at summer (July and early Aug) and found T going for 20K and R for 30K or so. We are going to take our chances again with late August when prices drop. The kids may or may not miss the first couple days of school and storm season risky ... but we booked a T for 11K so happy with the 9K savings over rest of summer.

In comparison, we have a 2 bedroom deluxe family suite on Pride of America 7 day Hawaii inter island booked (April vacation) for 12K and the Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda (July) in a 2 bedroom family villa in the Haven section with concierge and butler for 11K. I'll report back how they compare to DCL which is all we know at this point.

You won't see all those specials for the summer months, spring break periods and holiday.

Actually they did have one of those other specials last year on the brand new Fantasy (7 night Western and Easterns) for June and I believe early July. It was a DVC member special for Veranda cabins. I scored a 4A cabin for $1200/person. Not only was it the summer months, but the Fantasy hadn't even been sailing for 3 months!

I agree with PP regarding trying to put our family of 5 into a ship cabin or hotel room. Major pain sometimes. Crazy that they don't want to put more than 3 or 4 people in a huge suite.

We have sailed DCL 6 times so far, all in T (1 bedroom) or R (royal) suites and the prices have really shot up, especially on newer ships and peak times.

I looked out of curiosity at the Fantasy 2013 NYE sailing (have friends going) and was shocked to see only mid level regular verandah rooms left quoting at an outrageous 14,000!! That old supply and demand.

When 2014 released we looked at summer (July and early Aug) and found T going for 20K and R for 30K or so. We are going to take our chances again with late August when prices drop. The kids may or may not miss the first couple days of school and storm season risky ... but we booked a T for 11K so happy with the 9K savings over rest of summer.

In comparison, we have a 2 bedroom deluxe family suite on Pride of America 7 day Hawaii inter island booked (April vacation) for 12K and the Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda (July) in a 2 bedroom family villa in the Haven section with concierge and butler for 11K. I'll report back how they compare to DCL which is all we know at this point.

I have sailed the Pride of America and you'll love Hawaii. The ship....err...not like any ship we have ever been on before. Eat off the ship and view the ship as a floating hotel and you'll have a great time. We stayed in the two bedroom suite and there was a lot of room but never used the butler. But for the money I thought it was good if you compare to a hotel stay on the island. The entertainment was poor compared to Disney but we just crashed after full days on the islands.

jahber said:
Yeah. But then you'd have to LIVE in Fl.

Yes; that's the point tho. I moved here from Ohio in 2007 and I LOVE it here (Tampa) and I NEVER look back or ever ever regret it. EVER!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

You won't see all those specials for the summer months, spring break periods and holiday. Disney tends to cater to families with children and school is a huge constraint. That is why you can book a cruise in Feb for a fraction of what a June cruise costs.

Disney is unique and that is beyond contestation. No other cruise line offers the Disney theme and that is VERY popular with families. Tell an 8 yo they are going on a Disney cruise and he will be excited....even if he doesn't know what a cruise is. :-)

We're going in March and paying big bucks! I am a teacher and cannot go at any time other than when it is expensive. That's o.k. though...I have a job and am thankful for that is this economy! This is our first DCL cruise and we are sooo excited. :banana: Thanks to all in the DIS community as I have learned so much from you all.

FJS961 said:
In comparison, we have the Breakaway out of NYC to Bermuda (July) in a 2 bedroom family villa in the Haven section with concierge and butler for 11K. I'll report back how they compare to DCL which is all we know at this point.

Saw a video for that ship today - looks beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Bermuda. Definitely report back. I won't be headed up to NYC to hop on the ship, but I'm certainly interested ;)

su_A_ve said:
Based on previous years opening day pricing dates, pricing did not go up by that much.

That might be true for off season, but not for all cruises. Booked March 9th, 2013 opening day. 2A 1C in a 5E with OBB 10% off. $3100. Booked exact same everything opening day March 8th, 2014 $4200. Same room, everything the same. I wouldn't call an $1100 price increase "not much." Yes, I still booked it & am willing to pay.

What I was not willing to pay was the summer 2014 prices. Our most expensive cruise that we have sailed on to date was this past June on the Fantasy - it was close to $4000. I wanted to book the Fantasy in early Aug 2014 during summer break - a western w/Jamaica. Same stats - opening day, 10% off, 2A 1C in our fave 5E room. $5800. Really? No. Couldn't justify it. The cheapest cat was 11C and that was $4200. No way. I'm stuck waiting for FLR rate or a VGT rate, which may not be offered, but I'm hopeful they won't be able to fill the ships at those prices. I am not going on one run of the mill Caribbean cruise for what I can usually get two 7-nighters for. I'm also hopeful that maybe we can get back on the Magic or Wonder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter