• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do you stay on the way down?

always quiet

Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the hyd
The past 2 times we took the camper down to WDW, we stayed at the Florence SC KOA. I was talking to my DH and suggested that the next time, instead of staying there, we just stay at a hotel. We could relax a bit more since we wouldn't have to hook up the electric and water and sewer...drop down the bunk bed....do the dishes....you get the picture! ::yes:: I have suggested this in the past and he has always said no....finally he likes the idea! :tongue: Can anyone give some suggestions for a nice, reasonably priced hotel to stay at on the way down?? You guys always have such great suggestions...I know you won't let me down! :teeth:

The only problem we ran into in July was finding an inexpensive hotel that had room to park our RV.

We have stayed at Hampton Inn (the nicest) , Days Inn, and Motel 6 (the cheapest, but you get what you pay for......it was very clean, though!)

To us, the time we got to rest from the long drive was worth the price, and most had continental breakfast included.

My wife and I have done both... The hotel and camper. The hotel was nice except for finding one to park my camper and then I was worried about my camper parked out inthe parking lot with all my stuff. Nothining happened and I got a great reast. I still enjoy the camping though. Sorta slows the pace of the trip and allows me to relax a lot. We prepare our camper to allow easy access to stuff for a quick overnight stop. And we try to get to south of the boarder in SC so we have an easy site to get in and out with very little trouble.

In our travels down to WDW we find that stopping for just a few hours sleep is all we need. We start out at Albany NY and stop at Emporia Va. Salders Truck stop has treated us very well. The food is good, the fuel is reasonable, and they have a big parking lot where you can catch a few winks before moving on.

We usually stop at a hotel. I search my AAA tourbooks to find ones with free breakfast. We've never had any trouble with the camper in the parking lot, even with the bikes on it (they are locked). We go down I-77, so I can't help you with specific places.

we generally stop for the night on the way down and the way back. (too much hassel to setup/tear down the pop up for just a quick few hours rest.) We have stopped at these and found them to be resonably priced and clean: microtel, ramada express, holiday in express, budget inn.

We have stayed at a few differnet LaQuintas and Knights inn. Some were doable, and some were "funky" smelling. DH now insists on seeing the room before paying for it.

- lori

Originally posted by georgina
We usually stop at a hotel. I search my AAA tourbooks to find ones with free breakfast. We've never had any trouble with the camper in the parking lot, even with the bikes on it (they are locked). We go down I-77, so I can't help you with specific places.

can you help me? we go 77 also. we have always driven straight through since we usually have a lot of drivers with us but this time want to stop and have not had good success in SC before( love the state but get bad hotels every time we go through there ..last one had AAA rating and cockroaches galore so we had to move)!

On long trips, when we are trying to get somewhere we stop around midnight and sleep till 6 or 7 at the rest area. This worked out well until we got into the hot summer during our August trip to VA and WDW. with only 12V power there isnt a lot of ventilation, It works better in the cooler months.
I did notice a couple of rest areas in GA that had dump stations and I recall seeing (not sure where) one that had electric hookups for overnights and a special parking area for RVers.
We usually put 10 gals in our freshwater tank and use the toilet sparingly to avoid the extra weight.
This way I get to sleep in a place that I know is clean and I dont have to use public toilets after some truck driver just nuked it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter