• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do you prefer to sit on the plane?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
We are flying Jetblue in Sept (as we normally do), and I chose the closest seats available to the front of the plane (as I normally do). We book as soon as the flights are released so we have our choice of almost the whole plan..not including the more legroom higher priced seats. I pick the front because it is close to the front bathroom, and I think the front used to board first. Now, there are bathrooms also in the back and they have boarded from the back of the plane the last two times we flew. We usually have the airbus with three seats on either side. DH wants me to change to seats much further back in case they board that way again. Seat Guru shows most seats being identical. When I recheck the flights, it always looks like the front seats are taken more quickly. Which seats do you choose, and why?

Depends on the situation. If connecting, I try to sit in the front, so I get off first. If I'm on a legacy carrier and not connecting, I'll try to sit in the back, so I board earlier and have better overhead access.

I like the front of the plane. It can be a hassle for the overhead bin space, but still, it is my location of choice.

For me and my family front or back doesn't matter. We all mostly prefer window seats without the wing blocking our view. 1st preference is front rows in front of wing. For us overhead space doesnt matter since we have checked bags. Any carryons are backpacks which fit under the seat in front so overhead space is not needed. It does feel less stressful to get on a plane, sit down at a window or middle seat and relax while everyone else is looking for seats and space for their carry-ons. :laughing: We have mostly flown southwest and have always had an A boarding position. Last year we flew United and AirTran and on both we chose our seats. We enjoyed that. This year we are flying Southwest and did EBCI. Comng back again on AirTran and seats are already reserved in the front of the plane. I use SeatGuru also when I dont fly Southwest. Since I pay for EBCI I dont see a tremendous savings for flying Southwest as there used to be. ;)

I fly to WDW 4-6 times a year and prior to them being pulled out of Dallas Nov 22nd, always pretty much flew Air Tran. I always booked early and paid for seat 13D (the first $13.00 aisle seat on the left as you board). Don't know why, but that was always my seat coming and going.:rotfl: As a solo traveler I can't count the number of times some family that chose not to pay for their seat would go in at the 24 hour mark, choose one of those seats for free, and then expect those of us who did pay for them to move to some middle seat back in the back of the plane to accommodate them.:rolleyes1 Due to claustrophobic issues and not liking to fly anyway, I can't handle sitting in the back of the plane (looking up that long tube:sick:) and I don't do middle or window seats. I'm willing to pay for the seat I need and that means close to the front of the plane and aisle seat. Plus on Air Tran if you paid for those $15.00 or $13.00 seats in the front of coach you were guaranteed Boarding Zone 1. If you went in and chose them at the 24 hour mark, you got Boarding Zone 7, which means those people frequently had to gate check their bags, due to no overhead space.

Due to no more Air Tran out of Dallas, my flights for my Nov/Dec and Feb trips were on American. I went to seatguru to see how they board and found they board back to front, so even though I don't like sitting back there, I did choose seats about 2/3's back. I still got an aisle seat though and kept my eyes closed, listening to my mp3 player the entire trip, to keep my mind off where I was.

Spirit started a flight from DFW to MCO I believe this past week (March 22nd). Anyway, I currently have my May and Sept trips booked with them and am considering paying for those bigger seats up front, but haven't yet.

I tend to sit closer to the front so we can be one of the first off. WHen my children were smaller we sat closer to the back of the plane so as to disturb as few people as possible.

We are also JetBlue flyers. We choose aisle seats for all three of us (DS and I across from each other, and DH either in front of or behind DS) because my boys are both big lads and we all like having at least one elbow not whacking the person beside us.

We choose, if possible, the middle of the plane, ususally immediately behind the extra leg room seats. I like being close to the emergency exit.....just in case ;). I also don't find I get as sick feeling in the middle of the plane as I do at the front. My very first flying experience, we sat in the 2nd row from the front and I was terribly air sick all the way there :sick: . Maybe it was just coincidence, but ugh....I just felt awful.

My boys don't give a hoot where they sit. They have their own TV and unlimited snacks (and stomachs of iron) so they are content :thumbsup2 . They are happy to humour me as long as they are on the aisle. Then if they need to get up to visit the loo, they don't have to get squeeze those big bodies past other passengers.

We are never too worried about who boards first or last. The plane won't be taking off till we are all on anyway. So far, there's never been a problem with overhead bin space.

Most planes board the rear first as it's more efficient. The front fills up first with Southwest, but it's first-come, first-serve. I prefer to sit in the front regardless so I can get OFF the plane as quickly as possible.

I like window seat, just past the trailing edge of the wing, or just in front of the wing...so I can look at the ground while flying. I love the view from up there. :D

Plus, I find that sitting on or near the wing helps alleviate some of the feeling of leaning up and down during ascent and decent and gives a slightly smoother ride.

In order to get the smoothest ride possible, I always try to sit as close to the wings as I can - if you can get them, the emergency exit rows above the wings are the most stable seats you can get (plus lots of leg room). By design, the airplane has to flex and give in order to accomodate the motion of turbulence... so if you don't mind all the bouncing, it's actually kind of fun to sit in the very back and watch the length of the plane slightly bend, as long as you pack the dramamine. :sick:

I prefer as up front as I can get. Too anxious to get off the plane and hate waiting for the whole plane to slowly get off before me.... though, we gate check a special needs stroller, so we get off... and then end up waiting!!

But towards the front, I feel less trapped, less claustrophobic, and feels smoother than in the back... which we did our first few trips and I hated it!

In order to get the smoothest ride possible, I always try to sit as close to the wings as I can - if you can get them, the emergency exit rows above the wings are the most stable seats you can get (plus lots of leg room). By design, the airplane has to flex and give in order to accomodate the motion of turbulence... so if you don't mind all the bouncing, it's actually kind of fun to sit in the very back and watch the length of the plane slightly bend, as long as you pack the dramamine. :sick:

Our first flight with our daughter to Disney back on '08, we had the very last row of seating. It was right against the lavatories and the seats didn't recline. Most uncomfortable seat for me ever. Ever since, I've made sure to choose the seats towards the middle of the plane. The bouncing and flexing doesn't bother me much.

In biz/first, any aisle seat.

In coach, in order of preference

#1- Exit row aisle
#2- First row aisle
#3- Any empty row
#4- Any aisle seat

Spirit started a flight from DFW to MCO I believe this past week (March 22nd). Anyway, I currently have my May and Sept trips booked with them and am considering paying for those bigger seats up front, but haven't yet.

Spirit has almost no leg room so if you have a chance to buy a bigger seat, I would do it. I assume you know they charge for carry-ons as well. I had family fly on Spirit and were suprised by all the fees. No idea why they didn't check first, but they know now.

Spirit has almost no leg room so if you have a chance to buy a bigger seat, I would do it. I assume you know they charge for carry-ons as well. I had family fly on Spirit and were suprised by all the fees. No idea why they didn't check first, but they know now.

Yes, I checked out all the fees before I booked with them. Even with all the fees they were about half what the other airlines were ($148.00, plus fees, compared to over $400.00 on American, Southwest, Continental, or Delta, plus it's a nonstop flight).

Always picked exit row. More room and easy trip to front or rear. Now they charge to make money so I some times pay the extra but most of the time will just sit in FREE seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter