WHERE do you keep your scrapbooks?

Grumpy's Gal

DIS Veteran
We have a two story house with a basement.

If I keep them upstairs, a tornado might come and I would lose them that way. If I keep them in the basement, a flood might come and I would lose them that way. Althought, the basement would be safer from tornadoes. The upstairs would be safer from a flood. If I kept them in the basement, I might not be able to get to them if there were a fire and I would lose them that way.

Where do all of you keep your scrapbooks? I put so much time into them, I just don't want anything to happen to them.

mine are on the second floor in a extra bedroom that is now my scrapin' room. I have told the family that go out the window first and to duck their heads as the books will be coming right behind them. Better banged up than gone.

Have a friend that just lost hers in a fire. Very upsetting. She is single and has no children but they were still full of her memories. Scary!

I know! It seems like a silly thing to worry about but when I'm dead and gone, the rest of the generations after me will enjoy the scrapbooks (I HOPE!) I just don't know where is the safest place to keep them...............

I have mine on shelves in our family room. The kids love the look at them, so I keep them handy. I know I have seen ads for fire proof boxes for scrapbooks advertised in the back of scrapbooking magazines if you are concerned about preservation.

I will also consider taking a digital photo of my most important pages (outside the page protector) and burning a disk, which I will then send to my mother in law out of state - and maybe a second one for my desk drawer at work.

I'm glad you've asked this. I've had the same question but I just knew if I posted this you guys would think I am crazy. I also have a 2 story house with a basement. Mine are sitting in a rolling scrap cart in my kitchen under our small built in desk. The desk at the bottom of the first flight of stairs. I don't think I could pick up the bag to move it and I have one scrapbook sitting on top of it. My worst fear is that my house will catch on fire at night and we will have to escape out of the upstairs window and my scrapbooks will burn! I have warned my husband after we get my daughter out, the scrapbooks are top priority! He just rolls his eyes! I have even gone so far as to take them to my mother's house when we went on our Disney cruise this year. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Well, at least not to you guys!

The most important thing to me is to keep them somewhere dry and away from light and to store them upright. I keep mine in our hall closet next to the front door. I have recently outgrown this space and am looking for a new spot. My scraproom has room more room for shelves and I am asking for cabinets to keep them in for Christmas.

I have considered buying a fire safe for mine, but I have so many, it would need to be a big safe! Right now I am just content that all of my negative (from film days) and duplicate CDs (from digital days) are at my mother's house. I would be very sad if I lost my scrapbooks, but at least I would still have the photos. I am the least neurotic person I know with very few worries, but I have ALWAYS been fire phobic. I have seen something in the scrapping magazines lately that is sort of like an oversized tyvek mailing envelope. It is made to store your scrapbooks in. Supposed to be light resistant and water proof, I believe. At least if they were stored in that and you DID have to toss them out a window in an emergency, they would be somewhat protected. Keep in mind (I'm sure you all realize, of course) that you and your family are MOST important. I would hate to lose a Dis friend because she ran back inside to safe her scrapbooks.... but I would understand, of course!.......................P

I have to store mine and bring it out whenever I want to scrap! Ugh!

But I'm just wondering - does anyone else have the same fear I do, that I'll have too many albums!!!?? Not that there's such thing, but I was thinking about it - I make one every year for "everyday" stuff, and then I do one for each vacation DH and I take (which can be 2 a year). Not to mention the other ongoing ones I have for Halloween (we were married on Halloween so it's extra special for us!) and Christmas - And we don't have kids yet! Just wait until they come along! I just wonder where I'll possibly put all those albums. I start to think about it too much and it drives me crazy! I know it sound silly. But seriously, do anyone else think about that, too?

yes!

I wonder if the kids will even want to take theirs when they are older, or if they will consider them a bother. My son loves his now and so do my daughters, but I also have every vacation, a family album, an about me album, I think I have 32 already. Ha! kids will take theirs (i hope), and I will keep the family ones til the day I am gone.

One of the reasons I quit spending a small fortune on a page and have simplified (CM way sort of) my way of scrapbooking is I cannot believe in my heart that my kids will care that I spent $10 to do a page in their albums. I think its more important to get the journaling in there and keep it simple so the pictures stick out not the embellishments. But thats just my thoughts.

Goofymom- i would love to know what your simplified version of scrapping is. I am only 3 years behind and would love to get caught up. I am trying a two up album right now to catch up but curious to know what others are doing to simplify the process.

I have scanned all my pages and burned them to several cd's. One is stored outside the house in case anything ever happens.

Remember that albums/photos need to be stored in the same conditions in which you are comfortable. A basement is going to be too damp, so don't store them there! They need to be upright on a shelf, not lying down (too much pressure on the photos)

I have photos saved on disk at my parents house, so if there ever were a problem, at least the irreplaceable part is safe.

While watching tv this weekend, the ad for space bags came on. All I could think of when that lady pulls the bag full of clothes out of the bath tub is " I wish my Mother-in-Law had stored her scrapbooks in space bags." I know that would be impratical but she lost them all in Katrina from storm surge so I think about flood water now.

I keep all of my albums on a shelf where they are accessible for my boys to look at them whenever they want, however, several years ago I came up with an idea for grandparents. You know, the grandparents who have everything and don't want you to buy them any gifts for Christmas, birthdays, etc. I make color photocopies of the most recent scrapbook pages and put them in page protectors and give them to the grandparents as a gift. I'd given them loose-leaf albums years ago so now with every holiday, they just add the pages. I did this originally so they could be up-to-date with their grandchildren but I'm now realizing that it's an insurance policy should anything happen to the original scrapbook pages.

Mine "real" scrapbooks are on shelves in the livingroom. However, I also have tons of memorabilia and other books in a cabinet in the office (2nd floor) and a whole series of regular photo albums that in theory at least will become scrapped books some day lining other shelves and the floor along the wall of the diningroom.....

Should we ever have to evacuate they go before anything other "stuff". I should probably put my negatives into a fire safe - but so far h ave not done that. Good thought all.

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter