When you buy over the counter medicine

You'll be fine taking 8 over a 24 hour period. 8 x 500 mg is 4 grams a day. You just shouldn't be taking more than 1000 mg (2 x 500 mg) per dose.
Guidelines have been changed by the FDA to 3 gm per day due to toxicity.

Just a few of the main contenders that can harm you:
Tylenol, aka acetaminophen, can cause liver failure. A lot of cold, headache preparations also contain it.
Advil, Motrin, aka ibuprofen, can cause liver failure, ulcers, which can be fatal.
Imodium, aka loperamide, can cause fatal arrhythmias (heart abnormalities).
Antihistamines like benadryl, claritin, xyrtec, etc. can cause arrhythmias, and can be fatal, particularly in children.
Aspirin, bleeding ulcers that can kill you.
And that "herbal" and "natural" stuff and vitamins, watch out. A lot of bad actors there and it is not regulated as drugs but is considered dietary supplements.

This is so untrue. It can and has killed many people.

I get a complete blood work up every month so if my neuro seems anything alarming, he’ll let me know. Until then, I’m going to keep going what works for me.

Just a few of the main contenders that can harm you:
Tylenol, aka acetaminophen, can cause liver failure. A lot of cold, headache preparations also contain it.
Advil, Motrin, aka ibuprofen, can cause liver failure, ulcers, which can be fatal.
Imodium, aka loperamide, can cause fatal arrhythmias (heart abnormalities).
Antihistamines like benadryl, claritin, xyrtec, etc. can cause arrhythmias, and can be fatal, particularly in children.
Aspirin, bleeding ulcers that can kill you.
And that "herbal" and "natural" stuff and vitamins, watch out. A lot of bad actors there and it is not regulated as drugs but is considered dietary supplements.

The word can is doing a lot of work here.

Last edited:

The word can is going a lot of work here.
You "can" take my professional advice anyway you wish. Your body. Your choice. OTC meds are not benign, particularly when taken at doses above the recommended doses. Just trying to educate.

Guidelines have been changed by the FDA to 3 gm per day due to toxicity.
Yes, that was discussed upthread. I'm personally comfortable with the original 4 gram recommendation after studying the safety data in training years back. I have a hunch they dropped the number to leave room for error when people mistakenly take it in combined products.

You're right though, I shouldn't recommend that to anyone else.

Ignorance to professionals... with facts.. this is the world we live in.

Im not ignoring anything. I also said that for most things I will follow the directions. All I did was point out was that there’s a difference between can and will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter