When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
. You might want to look up the history of mankind before you are so willing to have people give up their rights "for the good of everyone" and maybe that will enlighten you to why they feel the way they do.
Yeah. You all need to study history. Hitler required covid masks as a first step to the holocaust. And I see the Mongols got covid masks just before they invaded. Oh and yes, Julius Caesar was killed with a covid mask on too. It's not just a mask. It's a freedom killer!!!!

What rights? You don't have a right to have a haircut or go shopping in a store without a mask if the company requires you wear one. You are talking about conveniences, not rights. We are such a spoiled and entitled society.

Agreed. People don't realize that a private company doesn't operate like the US Government. Facebook can restrict whatever speech it feels like. There are no 1st amendment rights issues with a private company. Also a private business can refuse service to anyone they want as long as the reason isn't one that violates discrimination laws.

Our healthcare is expensive. And it was still not as prepared as some European countries, where it’s a social institution.
Don't know if you want to use European countries as ones to follow. Have you look at Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, England, Netherlands, Ireland. Their deaths per million population are higher than US. US deaths per million is 275, while Italy is 528, France is 431, UK is 531, Sweden is 351. Only Germany seems to have done a great job.

New York city area is the main driver for the numbers in US. Texas, California, Florida has high population numbers but their numbers are quite low.

This seems to be lost on many people. I absolutely want things to reopen and want our economy to recover. I never claimed to know much about the economy, but I know we're in trouble and I do not want people to suffer. I do want people to be considerate. We need to work together to keep everyone safe AND get the economy going again.

I don't know why people cannot understand this. It's possible to care about the virus AND the economy at the same time.

That's why my focus has gone to reducing spread as the most powerful weapon we have right now. It greatly improves outlooks for both safety and economy. Cautiously open the less risky functions of society with good protocols and social distancing . Pushing the R0 down keeps more people safe while supporting consumer confidence & economic/societal functions.

It also offers better protection for the more vulnerable like my MIL and FIL. They plan to continue interacting in public as little as possible, even as things start to open. Lower R0 and cases reduces their risk during the infrequent times they are exposed. Less people carrying means less chance for them to cross paths with one. Good habits by all involved reduces their risk of becoming infected even further. We can't eliminate their possibility of infection. We can greatly reduce it and hope to postpone it until there are improved therapies and maybe even until the good fortune of vaccination *bow*.

Seriously reducing spread requires active participation. Together, everybody doing their part. That how we all can survive this better no matter what our interests may be.

Don't know if you want to use European countries as ones to follow. Have you look at Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, Sweden, England, Netherlands, Ireland. Their deaths per million population are higher than US. US deaths per million is 275, while Italy is 528, France is 431, UK is 531, Sweden is 351. Only Germany seems to have done a great job.
Germany, Czechia, Slovakia, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Lituania, Estonia, Portugal (which had the lowest number of ICU beds per capita in Europe), Slovenia, Croatia, Austria are all doing well. There are other countries as well with successful figures in Europe, which are opening/have opened up for weeks already, and now moving to close contact activities and tourism.

While I appreciate the support, it is certainly not 'only Germany' which has managed to find a balanced approach with success. In Germany the states set the rules and generally masks are required only in shops or place of business, and on public transport.

Last edited:

New York city area is the main driver for the numbers in US. Texas, California, Florida has high population numbers but their numbers are quite low.
There are eight European countries that have worse numbers than the U.S. right now. This virus got to Europe first so it'll be interesting to see how that holds up. I don't think this includes tiny countries with small populations but I'm not sure. I looked at Statista.

There are eight European countries that have worse numbers than the U.S. right now. This virus got to Europe first so it'll be interesting to see how that holds up. I don't think this includes tiny countries with small populations but I'm not sure. I looked at Statista.

It’s interesting to watch. They also test more than we do in the US.

Yes, the virus went globally so now it is still strong in North and South America, which are lagging weeks behind Europe (which lagged weeks behind Asia). Perhaps it would be better to compare the US and Canada rather than US to Europe? And as you say re NYC, if you extrapolate Montreal from the Canada figures, then the numbers are much lower in Canada as well.

Even in the UK, Italy, Spain numbers are dropping quickly. And in Germany many weeks after things opened up again, the number of new infections and deaths drops quickly on a weekly basis, as does average R0.
https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/art...s-Kreise-melden-kaum-noch-Neuinfektionen.html
But certainly the way the countries handled things are quite different; I posted here a few weeks ago about what people call 'lockdown' vs what was going on in the rest of the world. Speaking with my American friends too I am quite surprised at how 'locker' is your 'lockdown'. But certainly there is evidence that opening up things in a measured way with the plan to react to any areas of concern like Germany did are working out.

Agreed. People don't realize that a private company doesn't operate like the US Government. Facebook can restrict whatever speech it feels like. There are no 1st amendment rights issues with a private company. Also a private business can refuse service to anyone they want as long as the reason isn't one that violates discrimination laws.
Too many people think freedom means I can do what I want and nobody can tell me what to do. They've failed to learn what everyone should learn by age 5. Nobody likes being told what to do. But you're going to be told what to do plenty of times throughout your lifetime. Not doing some of them may get you fired. Not doing some of them may get you kicked out of a store. Not doing some of them may get you thrown in jail. That lesson should have been learned by age 5. My father had a saying. You can learn it from me or you can learn it from the school of hard knocks. It seems many adults need to relearn things through the school of hard knocks. Maybe instead of thinking whether they can, people should be thinking about whether they should.

Last edited:
NYC area is also the main driver of the nation's total numbers going down.
True. But the pp is correct that our numbers would look much better overall if not for NYC. There are other heavily populated areas that weren't hit nearly as hard. So some places either got really lucky or did it correctly from the start. I will stand by the 3 day difference in CA shutting down and NY shutting down played a major factor. Especially when officials in NYC were encouraging people to go out that weekend. As people laughed at Newsom (CA which was the first state to shut down) for overreacting, it seems like he made the right call at the right time.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find where in the Constitution it says the government can't tell me to wear a mask. Is not wearing a mask considered speech? Is that the argument? Because, guess what: courts have repeated ruled that seatbelt laws are constitutional. Although at this point, the Supreme Court never ruled on seatbelt laws.

https://www.williamlongwhitesell.com/blog/2018/03/are-seat-belt-laws-constitutional.shtml

I saw some clips the other night of bikers being enraged over helmet laws. I don't know why people think safety measures infringe on their rights.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Thanks for posting.

DS17 starts college next year. At this point there's still much uncertainty and we're all playing it by ear for now. They're planning for classes to be held but still not confirming if they'll do so. Something like that worked in could help.

Might be a good time to take a gap year. I couldn’t afford to growing up, but given the current situation, it might make sense.

I'm still trying to find where in the Constitution it says the government can't tell me to wear a mask. Is not wearing a mask considered speech? Is that the argument? Because, guess what: courts have repeated ruled that seatbelt laws are constitutional. Although at this point, the Supreme Court never ruled on seatbelt laws.

https://www.williamlongwhitesell.com/blog/2018/03/are-seat-belt-laws-constitutional.shtml
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2004211?query=featured_home
That was published back in mid March and provided a good back ground to constitutional philosophy regarding law and contagious illness.

Might be a good time to take a gap year. I couldn’t afford to growing up, but given the current situation, it might make sense.
Yeah, we're still not 100% sure. Alot can happen over the next 3 months. We're going thru the motions to prepare and will decide closer to Sept. depending on where everything stands and what options are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter