When to disclose vacation plans to brand new job?

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
Just got an offer and accepted via email. Going to start next Mon. I have not mentioned that I have a vacation scheduled in Sept (that was booked last Sept). I have to email them to accept the start date. Should I mention the vacation in the email, or is it more appropriate to wait for the first day of work to say anything?

Just got an offer and accepted via email. Going to start next Mon. I have not mentioned that I have a vacation scheduled in Sept (that was booked last Sept). I have to email them to accept the start date. Should I mention the vacation in the email, or is it more appropriate to wait for the first day of work to say anything?

If you don't tell them about it before you accept the job, be prepared to cancel your trip OR lose the job. Many companies require a certain amount of time in the job before vacation time is allowed and many companies will not simply let you take a vacation with no pay. I would ask about it, get their response and THEN decide if you wish to accept the position. Good luck and keep us posted on the results!:thumbsup2

This definitely should have been negotiated as part of the conditions of employment prior to accepting the position. As an employer, I would not be inclined to allow the time off so soon after starting if it hadn't been negotiated during the hiring process.

Most definitely tell them before you start. That is what a few of my employees did when they were hired. Knowing in advance that they had a vacation planned they will get time off without pay.

Ditto the above - tell them BEFORE accepting the position. I do some the hiring at my job & our employees don't even start earning vacation in their first 2 months of employment, and we do not grant time off without pay (other than funeral time or medically necessary sick time).

Personally, if I didn't know prior to hiring them, and it had been pre-planned, it wouldn't sit well with me. Our state is at-will - you can be let go for any reason, or no reason at all, and someone who didn't disclose a vacation & suddenly wanted a week off in their first 2 months of employment, well...

Please tell them now!

Tell them NOW.

I am expecting a job offer tomorrow and I already plan to tell them about my Sept vacation.

For those of you who mentioned to tell your [future] employer before you start...
Do you advise discussing it during the interview or during the offer/acceptance period? Seems to me that it would not be something necessarily appropriate for an interview.

I'm asking because I really only have my companies' policies to compare to, am losing my job come 9/1, and have a trip scheduled for October.

Employees in my current company start accruing time off right away, but using it is subject to the employee working it out with their manager. In most cases it has to be used by the end of the year, so new hires brought in during the last 3 months are often put in a position to use their time off very soon (and someone brought in during September/October could have earned more than a week off by December when both vacation and personal days are taken into consideration).

For those of you who mentioned to tell your [future] employer before you start...
Do you advise discussing it during the interview or during the offer/acceptance period? Seems to me that it would not be something necessarily appropriate for an interview.

I have always done it during the offer/acceptance period. Once they decide they like/want you then everything is negotiable: start date, vacation time, salary, bonus, etc.

Different companies have different constraints. Sometimes they can't give you a higher salary but can give you another weeks vacation or a signing bonus, etc.

I have never had an issue with getting time off for an already scheduled vacation, some with pay and some without YMMV

IMHO, the vacation plans should have been disclosed in the acceptance email. DEFINITELY tell them before you start. They may just have to rescind the job offer if they can't accomodate your absence in September.

This is especially good to know now since my final WDW payment is due next week :rolleyes1, and I was trying to convince DH that a trip without deluxe dining is better than no trip at all.... Since I will be back to work we will keep our appetizers! I am also excited about this new job. I will not be able to work from home like I was before, but the people seem really nice, and I can't wait to wow them!

This is especially good to know now since my final WDW payment is due next week :rolleyes1, and I was trying to convince DH that a trip without deluxe dining is better than no trip at all.... Since I will be back to work we will keep our appetizers! I am also excited about this new job. I will not be able to work from home like I was before, but the people seem really nice, and I can't wait to wow them!

Glad it worked out for you! That's great! Have a wonderful vacation and good luck at your new job!:cheer2:

Woo hoo sounds like it all worked out for you! Good luck at the new job & have fun on your trip!

I agree with what all PP's have said... vacation plans should be disclosed prior to accepting a job offer.

Probably the only time I'd mention it during an interview is if they bring up your benefits -- i.e. they tell you how many vacation days you'll have, when you'll earn them, etc.

DH just got a new job in April and we're going to WDW in October. He'll have plenty of vacation days to use for it (and they are earned the first day of employment) but he did bring it up as part of the negotiations so that the company knew going on, their only IT person would be gone for a week in October.

DH's employer didn't have a problem with it at all and I don't expect most companies would so long as it's not too soon after your first day of employment and you tell them in advance.

Springing it on them after the fact is shady, IMO.

This has happened to me twice... The first time was in 2005 when I left the company I work for now and went to work for a company in Rhode Island. When we were negotiating the start date, move package and such I told them that I had a pre-scheduled vacation. I told them that I'd work with them if it wasn't a convenient time but family vacation time was very important to me. It was not an issue and they even put it in writing within the acceptance package.

The second time was when I returned to this company in Georgia. However, these folks already knew that I was a Disney Fanatic so the VP asked me when my next WDW trip was, up front. I think the fact that my tie had Mickey Mouse on it, may have been a reminder.

Now when I submit the formal vacation requests, my boss just laughs. Her questions are usually which resort and did I find a great deal.

Glad it worked out. Have a great trip and good luck with the new job! :goodvibes

We are going to Disney in Sept also, I received my job offer in April and brought it up at that time and was told there would be no problem just to put an official request in once I started which was in May =) Right away is my answer.

Dh had this situation several years ago. He was offered a new job in March and we had a 2 week trip to Europe planned for June to celebrate our 40th birthdays. He discussed it with them during the interview process. Taking the vacation with pay was negotiated as part of his employment package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter