wheelchair rental

tiggerunner

Mouseketeer
My Mom will need a wheelchair for a 7 day visit. It will be used to give her a walking break and we will park it with strollers. Best way to rent please?

this is taken from one of the pinned posts above. the list of places to rent a wheelchair is a little firther down

As of November 1, 2012, WDW Resorts began a new policy regarding ECV and wheelchair delivery to their resorts:
    • Featured Vendors are welcome to check equipment with Bell Services for guest retrieval and return.
    • Non-featured vendors are welcome to do business on Disney property, but they must hand the equipment directly to the guest, and collect the equipment directly from the guest.
    • Here's some key facts:

• Disney is trying to limit their liability for leased property on their property.
  • Disney used a 3rd party company to collect information about companies that do rental business on Disney property.
  • Bid packets were sent to a number of primarily ECV rental companies.
  • The approval process included business verification, insurance verification, and equipment inspection.
  • I have also heard that Disney had 2 other goals - one was to limit the speed of the scooters and the other was to limit the size (to make sure they fit on buses and in queues).
    I have heard that the Featured Vendors also agreed that a certain percentage of their scooters would meet the speed and size guidelines.
    Some very well known and recommended companies were not able to replace their fleet of scooters at this time and did not meet the guidelines for Featured Vendor for that reason.
  • Some chose not to apply (Randy's always delivered and picked up in person, for example, and was not interested in being able to drop off)
  • Contrary to 'popular opinion', the Featured Providers don't pay a fee to Disney (from my contact with many of the companies and with Disney Disability Srvice).
++ power wheelchairs for experienced renters
This is a list of the Featured Vendors in alphabetical order:
  • Apple Scooter
    321-726-6837
    http://www.applescooter.com/
    Apple rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 135 pounds.
    Apple has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite. There have been some recent (2015 and early 2016) negative reviews.
  • Best Price Mobility
    321-402-5955
    Toll Free: 866-866-3434
    http://www.bpmobility.com
    Best Price rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, WHILL power wheelchairs, single and double strollers. Little feedback from DIS posters
  • Buena Vista
    (407)938-0349 or toll free (866)484-4797
    www.buenavistascooters.com
    Buena Vista rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, transport chairs, single and double strollers, lift chairs, knee walkers and some respiratory equipment.
    They also service and repair personal equipment.
    Buena Vista has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite.
  • CARE Medical was a Featured Vendor, but is closing (changed 5/2/17)
  • Scooterbug
    1-800-726-8284
    Scooterbugmobility.com
    little feedback from DIS posters.
    They rent ECVs, standing ECVs, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers (weight limit to 60 pounds).
    From what I can tell, this company provides strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs for the WDW parks; and probably pool chairs. They also rent the large grey ECVs that can be rented in the parks, plus a form of Standing ECV that guests can drive from a standing position. Here is a link to a thread about them, with pictures.
Vendors not on the Featured Provider List:
The specific companies are listed because DIS posters have used and recommended them over the years. The companies with little feedback are listed along with that information.
We will NOT list a company on the FAQs thread without a significant number of recommendations from established posters. Also, some companies encourage/promote allowing children to ride as passengers on scooters. We will not knowingly post a link to any company that encourages behavior that is unsafe and companies that manufacture ECVs specifically warn against in their instruction manuals.
  • Randy's Mobility
  • According to information from Randy, they have a London, England phone # that connects directly to their US. Office.
    US. & CAN. (321-281-6603)
    UK. (02030062368)
    http://randysmobility.com/randysmobility/rentals/
  • Randy's has been a long time favorite of DIS posters.
  • Randys rents ECVs, manual & power wheelchairs and Joovey strollers, including Joovey Caboose where one child can stand behind. Randy's will sometimes rent ECVs to older teens on a case by case basis.
  • Walker Mobility:
    1-888-726-6837
    www.walkermobility.com
    Walkers rents ECVs, manual wheelchairs, Power wheelchairs ++, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 100 pounds.
    Walker is a longtime favorite of DIS Board posters and Walker Mobility is also a wdwinfo.com sponsor
  • Scootarama
    877-736-8328k
    http://www.scootarama.com/
    Scootarama rents scooters and power wheelchairs (which they, confusingly, call another type of scooter).
    Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported they had no problems.
  • Scooter Vacations
    866-778-4748
    UK 02079 932302
    http://www.scootorlando.com/index.html
    Scooter Vacations rents scooter of various types (which they confusingly call 'electric wheelchairs')
    Not as much feedback as Randys, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported no problems. Their website lists them as "Disney Premier Providers" and "Universal Premier Providers". Neither Disney nor Universal has any listing for "Premier Provider".
  • Scootaround
    1-888-441-7575
  • https://locations.scootaround.com/orlando
  • Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker. Scootaround rents ECV, wheelchairs and walkers/rollators. They also rent WHILL power wheelchairs.
  • They are a nationwide company.
Orlando Medical Rentals
http://www.orlandomedicalrentals.com/medical-equipment-rentals-orlando.asp
If you need specialized equipment, like power wheelchair, reclining wheelchairs or tilt in space wheelchairs, I would look here first.
They also have a variety of Special Needs Strollers.
There is little feedback from DIS posters, but probably not surprising since they have more specialized equipment.

My Mom will need a wheelchair for a 7 day visit. It will be used to give her a walking break and we will park it with strollers. Best way to rent please?
as a grandma when I have needed I use an offsite rental as park rentals can not go past the gate and at end of night when leaving I was glad for the place to sit while waiting for transportation be it boat, bus, monorail or tram to your car. I will ay it was a pain getting up the ramp for the monrail

Vendors not on the Featured Provider List:
Also, while not on either list, relatively new (2017) Gold Mobility is proving to be extremely popular. You can find an active thread typically on this first page; worst case, page two.

Yes, gold has gotten a lot of great reviews maybe one of the mods. can add gold to the list @SueM in MN @lanejudy
I really hope so, Gold Mobility has been great for us, my husband and I have been spoiled to death with them. Didn't realize that until my husband went to rent one offsite at Disneyland, the scooter company he rented from is even now referring people to Gold Mobility when they ask who to rent from at Disney World after he told them about their amazing customer service.

I am currently getting information for a wheelchair rental for my mom and have searched the provided approved vendors. i notice that none of them have any sort of sunshade for a manual chair, only for scooters. I think a shade of some sort would be necessary in the hot sun for mom. Does anyone have any suggestions with this? Thank you.
mom will not even attempt a scooter. :(

I am currently getting information for a wheelchair rental for my mom and have searched the provided approved vendors. i notice that none of them have any sort of sunshade for a manual chair, only for scooters. I think a shade of some sort would be necessary in the hot sun for mom. Does anyone have any suggestions with this? Thank you.
mom will not even attempt a scooter. :(
I think the resign why wheelchair do not have sunshade is thst most can not push them self and the shade would block the person pushing view. Can your mom hold a small umbrella

I think a shade of some sort would be necessary in the hot sun for mom. Does anyone have any suggestions with this?

A sunshade is only good when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise it isn’t that big to offer much shade when the sun is at an angle. I recommend a big floppy hat that will provide good shade, and maybe sun-protective clothing if that is necessary.

Enjoy your vacation!

I think the resign why wheelchair do not have sunshade is thst most can not push them self and the shade would block the person pushing view. Can your mom hold a small umbrella
An umbrella or a big floppy hat would work. Thank you.

A sunshade is only good when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise it isn’t that big to offer much shade when the sun is at an angle. I recommend a big floppy hat that will provide good shade, and maybe sun-protective clothing if that is necessary.

Enjoy your vacation!
Good idea, thank you. Maybe some of those cooling towels as well!

An umbrella or a big floppy hat would work. Thank you.
Columbia Omni freeze works great. I love it and wear it everyday I am at Disney ( sun scream burns my skin so Long sleeve is the way to go for me) do not forget the top of her legs and feet depending on shoes she wears

Big floppy hat. An umbrella would poke the person pushing the chair. If the user is propelling themselves, they need both hands fir that, leaving none to hold the umbrellA.
an umbrella has worked great for me both as someone in the wheelchair and as a pusher of the chair

While it's great that amy given person has never poked or been poked by an umbrella rib, a large floppy hat eliminates that possibility completely.

I didn't read all 500+ questions and answers, and I do see this specific umbrella has protective caps at the rib ends.

What I didn't see is anybody using one attached to a rolling device while moving through a crowded venue.

Sitting in bleachers? Sure. On a golf club bag? Yup. Even on a wagon at the beach. Or somebody's wheelchair on a neighborhood street.

But not navigating through a crowd.

I actually did some research on good old Amazon and found this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HA2ZKCO/ref=pd_luc_rh_sspa_dk_huc_pt_expsub_1?psc=1

Some of the reviews are from people who used them on their chairs and says it folds to a compact size so I could squeeze it into the side of my suitcase. The umbrella is a good idea, but I think this should work with the floppy hat, not only for sun, but for any rain or sprinkles.

Yeah. I bought one of those.

It's great in theory. At WDW, it's a big pain in the behind. Also, unless you have some kind of huge suitcase that you are bringing, it won't fit. Folded, it still sticks up out of a golf bag.

Floppy hat, cooling towels, UV protective garments, battery operated fans. All QS eateries have free ice water as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter