Wheelchair rental outside the parks & handicap parking

stampinshauna

Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disney Cruise L
Does anyone know where the handicap parking is at DL?

Also, my Father-in-law had foot surgery and will need a wheelchair on our trip next month. I've read that some people rent one outside the park for their trip--any recommendations where and how much?

well, there are handicap spaces in Mickey and Friends parking structure, im pretty sure if you tell them, they will direct you to the spots... the tram has handicap ramps for your needs...

or you can always drop him off at the 15 min parking and then go park in the parking lot...

Here is a link with a couple companies that can rent wheelchairs or ECVs. http://pixiedustinn.com/disabilitiesfaq/RentalWheelchairsandECVs.html I would actually recommend he get a ECV because no matter how in shape you are, you will get very tired pushing a full grown man around in a wheelchair all day. Our daughter uses a wheelchair and although we have no problems with her custom chair, rental ones are more difficult to push especially if you are not used to doing it. Defintely rent offsite for the length of your stay, so he can use it to and from the parks as well as inside.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm pretty sure he's going to want to stick with a regular wheelchair--easier to haul around in the car and especially the price. The $ is the ultimate factor in his decision.

I'll check out the link--THANKS!!!

Handicap parking... We use it often with my dad who is in a wheel chair..

if you have a parking sticker show it to them and they will give you a slip of paper for the front window..
They then direct you over to the left.. to park in chip and dale.

BUT sometimes that might be full and you have to park in the regular levels. There is handicap parking on every level at the front by the elevators..

Also when boarding the tram go down to the furthest tram stop- on the left as they have a ramp for wheel chairs. Also the line is minimal..

I agree with Samkj, I would not even attempt to push a rental wheelschair with a grown man in it all day at DL, you will regret it. I am an amputee and on our first visit we rented a wheelchair and my hubby did the pushing, he is a tradesman and as strong as an ox but at the end of the day his groin was so sore, I thought he might have a hernia, there are so many slight inclines and ramps at DL that are not noticable until you are pushing a grown person around in a wheelchair. We almost ruined our first trip attempting to use the wheelchair. The second day we rented the scooter from DL for 55.00 (they give you 20.00 back when you return it but it is 35.00 well spent), it took my DH a day to get over the soreness, which is really not something you want to deal with on holidays.

Also the wheelchairs at DL are not the best, they don't glide like my own wheelchair at home which is only a mid priced model. We met a fellow while waiting in line for Grizzly river run in the handycapped line and he had a scooter that he got from Allens wheelchair rental (sorry don't know the number), he said it was very reasonable and it was dilivered right to his hotel and would also be picked up from the hotel at the end of the week.

We found that if you ask the attendant that stands in the entrance to actual parking structure if there is still room outside in the handicapped lot they will let you park outside (you have to make a tight turn immediately and go thru some orange cones, but it was really close to the tram boarding area.

Make sure you remember to take your handicapped sticker to hang from the rear view mirror, we forgot on our first trip and had to explain my situation each morning as we entered the park, which was tedious LOL

Albianne

Some comments on parking. If you do not have a wheelchair already, it is a long walk from the handicapped parking on the lower level to the tram. We have gone up on the levels to park and had all of the handicapped parking full for that level, and they don't let you change levels without leaving and reentering. If you don't have a wheelchair and he can make it down the escalator if it is working you will be fine. The line for the elevator can be really long.

I would suggest if you don't have a wheelchair to go to the 15 minute parking off harbor and drop him off. There are benches just inside the bag check area by the ticket booths, he can wait for you there. It really is a much shorter walk. We went with my MIL and she has heart problems. The walk from the parking structure to the wheelchair rental in the heat (it was really hot the day we went) triggered a heart attack, and she ended up in the hospital.

There are lots of little hills. I sprained my ankle badly the day before they closed Country Bear Jamboree. I had planned to go on the last day. I was not giving it up for a hurt ankle so we decided to rent a wheelchair. Since dh is cheap I figured we'd get the kind you push. We got to the rental, and he said, no way am I pushing you around all day, you get the kind you can drive.

If you are staying at the DL hotels you can rent a regular wheelchair (don't think the otehr ones count) for the length of time you are there and take them out with you, but since you are asking about parking I assume you aren't staying there.

Just had another thought, the Annabella Hotel has a complimentary wheelchair that you can use for free if you are staying in one of their handicapped rooms, you can even keep it with your entire stay if you want to, it may be the answer for you if you have not already booked your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter