Wheelchair rental for 8 day trip

xterratri

<font color=blue>Recommends the "livestock" workou
This board is not quite what I expected but does seem to be the best place to ask my question after seeing some of the other threads. My Grandmother is 75(76 in Feb) and has had both knees replaced so she has some mobility issues. She insisted on walking EVERYWHERE the first 2 days that we were there in December and ended up in a fair amount of pain. After that we got wheelchair rentals each day at the parks, kept the receipts, park hopped without a problem, found out that you get a discount prepaying for the duration on the third day renting of a 7 day trip, learned about taking wheelchairs to bus stops, and where you are supposed to wait at the bus stops. In all it was very much a learning experience and I bet others wish some of the walkways at Epcot(especially the Land) were a little less steep- no problem going up, more a challenge going down. Basically, we know that during the day at the parks and sometimes even at DTD we need a chair for Grandma.
What I don't know is whether I should get one for full time use at the resort too and if so the best place to rent it from? We didn't have a problem pushing the chair- it was actually a little fight between my sister and I over who's turn it was that day- but I wonder if an ECV would give Grandma a greater feeling of independence. Also if we rent a wheelchair for full time use, can we fold it up on the bus? The bus loading issue is actually my greatest concern with an ECV(it doesn't help that it is also considerably more expensive). We have stayed at All Star Movies in the past but will be at OKW for the first time for 7 nights/8 days end of May early June. I don't where our room will be or enough about the layout of OKW to know how much walking will be required(some is OK). I do know from trying to find another party's room at All Star Music that the layout of Movies is such that even the farthest rooms were actually relatively close to Cinema Hall in comparison. Thanks for your ideas.
:flower1:

xterratri What I don't know is whether I should get one for full time use at the resort too and if so the best place to rent it from? :flower1:[/QUOTE said:
Resorts have a limited number of complimentary wheelchairs available for use at the resort for their guests. You might call ahead for your resort's inventory level and check if there is a time policy. The information I have about that is probably out of date or not relevant to the resort you'll be staying at.

xterratri said:
What I don't know is whether I should get one for full time use at the resort too and if so the best place to rent it from? We didn't have a problem pushing the chair- it was actually a little fight between my sister and I over who's turn it was that day- but I wonder if an ECV would give Grandma a greater feeling of independence.
This link to the disABILITIES FAQs thread should be able to answer many of your questions. It does have information about borrowing a wheelchair from the resort vs renting at the parks or one of the outside rental places. There is also a list of rental places that DIS posters have reported good experiences with.
If you are OK with pushing a wheelchair, (as you mentioned), it is the least expensive option and also the easiest. It is best to have one available to you all the time (whether borrowed from the resort or rented from outside) so you have it whenever you need it.
ECVs are pretty easy to drive and would give her a lot more independence, but some people would rather have less independence and not have to worry about driving a motor device. If she drives a car, and has reasonably good vision and hearing, she probably would do fine with an ecv. One "trick" to try is to have her try one out at WalMart, Target or any other big store like that. They usually have them for use by customers with mobility needs. If she can drive one of those, she would have no problem with one at WDW (since the store ones are big, bulky and have a cart attached to the front).
Also if we rent a wheelchair for full time use, can we fold it up on the bus? The bus loading issue is actually my greatest concern with an ECV(it doesn't help that it is also considerably more expensive).
I'm sure some other posters will chime in about how worried they were the first time they got on a bus with an ecv. After the first time, it's not that hard. The FAQs thread that I made a link to above also has info about bus boarding.
We have stayed at All Star Movies in the past but will be at OKW for the first time for 7 nights/8 days end of May early June. I don't where our room will be or enough about the layout of OKW to know how much walking will be required(some is OK).Thanks for your ideas.
:flower1:
We are members of DVC (Disney Vacation Club) and OKW is our home resort. There is parking outside of each building, so we find it works out very well with a wheelchair.
Here's a link to the DIS page about OKW. At the top of the page is a link to the resort map. From the map, you can see that there are a number of bus stops and none of the buildings are very far from a bus stop. You should request first floor or the buildings with elevators (62, 63 or 64) for medical reasons. Otherwise, look at the maps to see what you want to be close to. The Hospitality House it the location of the main pool and the restaurant.
If you have a wheelchair or ecv for her, all the areas are accessible.
I don't know how big a unit you rented, but we use a 2 bedroom with DD who uses a wheelchair. There is plenty of room to get around inside the unit.

Thanks for your tips. We are brand new DVC members so we are staying at OKW for three reasons-like the two actual beds in the studio, use less points so can maximize number of days, and its rep as a low key, relaxing place. Hopefully, we won't become OKW "fanatics" and not want to return to our 'home' at SSR- we are already planning add ons anyway, but....
I hadn't seem a map of OKW yet so looking at that allays some of my concerns. Its easy at SSR right now because only Congress Park is open but I know that will change before our Dec trip. We bought at SSR 'cause I didn't know any better but I still think we will be happy with it as our 'home' because we were very impressed with units when touring, loved the fitness facilities, and spend almost as much time at DTD as we do at the parks.

xterratri said:
Its easy at SSR right now because only Congress Park is open but I know that will change before our Dec trip. We bought at SSR 'cause I didn't know any better but I still think we will be happy with it as our 'home' because we were very impressed with units when touring, loved the fitness facilities, and spend almost as much time at DTD as we do at the parks.
If you thought SSR was easy, you will find OKW easier. DH and I stayed at SSR in July in a one bedroom (just the 2 of us, no kids). Compared with OKW, SSR rooms are a bit smaller. Also, SSR has parking outside each building, but the buildings at OKW have less units in each building, so OKW parking is closer to your unit than SSR.
SSR is a very nice resort though and I'm sure you will be happy with it as your "home".
Since you like DTD, OKW has a boat you can catch at the Hospitality House to go to DTD. I don't think you could take an ecv, but I'm sure you can bring a manual (push) wheelchair. One of the other things we like to do at OKW is rent a pontoon boat and go for a scenic cruise. You can take the boat all the way to Port Orleans Riverside and the other way to DTD. My in-laws (70 something) really enjoy taking the boat ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter