Wheelchair questions

mrocco90

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I’m heading to Disney next week with my mom and my son and I’m thinking of renting a wheelchair for my mother. We were there in May and my mom had a hard time walking and had a lot of issues with her knees and legs. She doesn’t want a wheelchair but I think it would be helpful for her when she needs a break from walking. Would we be better renting one everyday from Disney or a outside company? Does Disney typically run out of wheelchairs? We plan on park hopping and I worry they may be out in the afternoon. Also if we rent from a outside company do we have to wait in the handicap line to get on the bus or can I fold the wheelchair like you would a stroller?

thank you for the help!

Outside because Disney’s manuals are often run dow, have 1 almost flat tire and are 1 screw away from falling apart.

If you rent from the parks, she will need to walk from the bus stop to the park entrance to rent a wheelchair. (There are wheelchair corrals with courtesy wheelchairs to get from bus area to the park entrance, but you may have to walk from the farthest bus stop to the corral and it may very well be empty).
The park wheelchairs are not supposed to leave the park they were rented at, so guests need to walk to the bus and if park hopping, will need to get another wheelchair at the second park - showing your receipt gets a wheelchair without paying again.

Outside would mean you have the wheelchair whenever she needs it, including your resort. There can be a lot of walking just to get around your resort, so having a wheelchair is helpful.

Foldable wheelchairs csn be folded and held like strollers on the bus; that avoids taking up one of the 2 wheelchair spots. Entering thru the front door with the folded chair is OK, but wheelchairs can be heavy and awkward to carry, so entering thru the back door might be easier

I'd rent in your hometown if you are flying out of a large airport. They can be very helpful at the airport, which is an overall good start to the trip.

Obvious risk is damage from gate check. We have been lucky in that respect with dozens of flights on a Whill Ci.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter