Wheelchair and Tower of Terror?

Wade Shrader

Mouseketeer
I know this thread was discussed here in the recent past, so I apologize in advance. But I don't remember what the consensus response was, so I'm posting it here again.

I had heard some restrictions about ToT and wheelchairs floating about, and I saw this quote on Deb Wills' site: "Must be at least 40 inches tall to ride. Cannot suffer from any neck, back, or heart problems. Cannot suffer from motion sickness or claustrophobia! Wheelchair guests must be able to walk in unassisted and possess full upper-body control. Pregnant women may not ride"

Now my boys, both with CP, one in a WC, have been too young/small to ride this in the past. We're planning a big 2 week trip next yr when I finish my surgical training (residency). They will be devastated if my one son can't ride because he can't independently walk in. We would be able to help him, and of course, we would place him between me and my wife.

Any thoughts out there about this restriction?

Thanks,
Wade

I see the OP of the other thread posted a link for you.
The official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities does NOT say anything about being able to walk in or anything about possessing full upper body control. My DD rode it about a year ago. She was able to drive her wheelchair up to the elevator door. DH lifted her out of the wheelchair and onto the seat, which was like a bench seat with a back. You ahould be aware that all that's keeping you in plae is a lap bar that is shared with the other people in the row. This really wasn't a big problem since the bar does not need to prevent you from going forward (since the ride at that point is only going up and down). DH and I were sitting one on each side of her and she did extend almost to standing when the drop occurred. We didn't feel like she was in danger of falling, although I was a little worried about a hard landing when gravity took over (it wasn't as bad as I expected).

One ride we will never take her on again (unless the restraint system changes) is Primeval Whirl at AK. It's sort of a fairly tame roller coaster combined with the tea cup swirling action. In the tea cups, DH can other DD can sit next to and help brace her - on this ride, each person has their own seat, but DH was too far away to brace her and restraints are linked together somehow so that her restraint was loose because DH is so much bigger than she is. She was not able to brace herself with either her arms or legs and the restraint was too loose to hold her in place. By the time the ride ended, she was slipped forward in the seat so her bottom was almost off.

Just got back from MGM.. TOT got rid of the lap bar.. all passengers have own seat belts now. One sits much snugger and, IMHO took some of the "terror" out of the ride.

The seat belt change must be really recent. I heard it was happening, but when DH, older DD and my niece rode in late March, they had the bar. I had told them it would be seat belts, so my oldest DD (who is non-disabled and is mcuh more chicken than her sister) was not happy with me when she "floated up with the bar.

We were at MGM 04/09 (and had a GREAT time) when we go back and ride the tower, I won't snug up the belt so to get a little "lift" Anyone have any idea why they got rid of the bar?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter