What's up and coming in the Asian Parks?

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Other Lands or here, but I figured since I'm asking about Rumors and news this might be the spot!

DH and I have been tossing around going to the Asian parks in the next few years. With everything Hong Kong is planning, we figured we'd rather wait until they're finished, but I've also heard that Shanghai is already planning its second park, and that Hong Kong is as well. In addition, I've heard that with the two new DCL ships, there's a strong possibility of some Asia itineraries, and we'd definitely be interested in those.

I guess my questions are:

What do we know for sure is happening?

What do we think is likely to happen?

What would you like to see?

and finally... Based on what other cruise lines have done, combined with Disney's interests in showcasing its three parks in Asia, what do you think is a likely itinerary for a DCL Asia cruise?

Hi all!

I wasn't sure whether to post this in Other Lands or here, but I figured since I'm asking about Rumors and news this might be the spot!

DH and I have been tossing around going to the Asian parks in the next few years. With everything Hong Kong is planning, we figured we'd rather wait until they're finished, but I've also heard that Shanghai is already planning its second park, and that Hong Kong is as well. In addition, I've heard that with the two new DCL ships, there's a strong possibility of some Asia itineraries, and we'd definitely be interested in those.

and finally... Based on what other cruise lines have done, combined with Disney's interests in showcasing its three parks in Asia, what do you think is a likely itinerary for a DCL Asia cruise?
Shanghai is adding Toy Story land set to open in 2018.

Hong Kong is about to embark on a 6 year expansion project renovating their tomorrowland, castle, and adding to their fantasyland.

Neither park has a second park officially announced. Hong Kong was rumored to get one but those plans changed into the major expansion project. The only thing Shanghai is currently working on is toy story land and a few other possible additions. I've heard a third hotel is in the works.

Tokyo Disney will also be adding a Frozen land Nordic Port of Arendelle for DisneySea. An Alice in Wonderland mini-land for Tokyo DL. A Beauty and the Beast area with a shop, restaurant and new ride. The new ride should be a trackless one that takes you along in a spinning serving dish to follow Belle on her musical adventures inside the castle. Big Hero 6 is getting a musical whip ride, think Mater's Junkyard at DCA.

I don't think any of this is slated to be completed until 2019.

Tokyo Disney will also be adding a Frozen land Nordic Port of Arendelle for DisneySea. An Alice in Wonderland mini-land for Tokyo DL. A Beauty and the Beast area with a shop, restaurant and new ride. The new ride should be a trackless one that takes you along in a spinning serving dish to follow Belle on her musical adventures inside the castle. Big Hero 6 is getting a musical whip ride, think Mater's Junkyard at DCA.

Don't forget Soarin. Some of the stuff in Tokyo isn't slated until 2020-21 I believe.

Drop the Alice in Wonderland concept, sadly that's not coming to fruition.

Tokyo has the following in bound from my admittedly poor memory:
1) Finding Nemo attraction replaces surf rider at Sea 2017
2) Soarin 2019 in undeveloped plot
3) Replacement of a chunk of Tomorrowland (RIP Rocket Jets) with a new highly themed modern Tomorrowland which will make it even more confusing. Throw in a new Big Hero Six Ride for good measure
4) A new theatre for Fantasyland that will be indoors and air conditioned.
5) A new Beauty and the Beast land and major attraction.
6) A new meet and greet for Minnie Mouse in Toontown's Area.
7) Longterm plans call for Frozen but that has been delayed.

I'll get you a source document so you can see everything and update here!

Update: Here's the in depth plan until 2020, don't get nervous Frozen isn't there. It's coming!
http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20161014_03e.pdf

Drop the Alice in Wonderland concept, sadly that's not coming to fruition.

Tokyo has the following in bound from my admittedly poor memory:
1) Finding Nemo attraction replaces surf rider at Sea 2017
2) Soarin 2019 in undeveloped plot
3) Replacement of a chunk of Tomorrowland (RIP Rocket Jets) with a new highly themed modern Tomorrowland which will make it even more confusing. Throw in a new Big Hero Six Ride for good measure
4) A new theatre for Fantasyland that will be indoors and air conditioned.
5) A new Beauty and the Beast land and major attraction.
6) A new meet and greet for Minnie Mouse in Toontown's Area.
7) Longterm plans call for Frozen but that has been delayed.

I'll get you a source document so you can see everything and update here!

Geez Alice is gone already? I feel like I just read about that one.

Geez Alice is gone already? I feel like I just read about that one.
Something happened... The whole thing was odd and took a ridiculous amount of time. They've since begun construction in multiple places including Soarin and Fantasyland.

There's also some (highly speculative) talk that they still might rebuild It's a small world. Take that with a grain of salt.

Hi all!

Hong Kong won't be getting an entirely new park until at least sometime past 2023. Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see another one at that location until sometime in the late 2020s (if ever). That could change and I could end up looking ridiculous (that's definitely a possibility ;) ) but I wouldn't bet on park two.

I wouldn't get hung up on trying to sync your schedule with a second park. Too much uncertainty.

Your point is taken about construction. I usually wouldn't suggest skipping a park due to a little construction, but between the hub work and no nightly spectacular (That's an educated guess) I do see why Hong Kong would fall a little on the totem pole.

For all the graphics and descriptions in color:
http://www.legco.gov.hk/yr16-17/english/panels/edev/papers/edev20161128cb4-154-2-e.pdf

I'm still sure you'd have a great time though!

Shanghai is a little trickier because they don't release things far in advance. As @rteetz said, Toy Story Land is coming in early 2018, and as WDW1974 also mentioned over on WDWMagic a third hotel should be in bound.

Known plans call for Expedition Everest to ported over there and a major new Marvel attraction eventually. We're talking early 2020s with most of this stuff though.

Any construction there shouldn't be extremely bothersome because the work would be visually and physically removed from the rest of the park.

Park 2 is anyone's guess. We know they want to do it sooner rather then later, but it still wouldn't be for years.

I'd just say go! Shanghai Disneyland is incredible! Pirates, Tron, and Peter Pan's Flight are spectacular. Soaring Over the Horizon has a fantastic queue and set up. They have the best Buzz. Camp Discovery is mind blowing. The Mine Train line is usually less than Magic Kingdom. The shows are great.

Any possible additions are just icing on the cake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter