What's the worst thing you ever found in your house/garden ?

Snake in the kitchen
Bats a couple times
Mice numerous times
Giant furry spider with a body the size of my fist
in our bedroom once

What's the worst thing you ever found in your house/garden ?​

A decomposing lizard in the "other" bedroom closet. We're sure it was a gift from our cat. It really stunk up the house, you wouldn't think a little thing like that would smell up a big house.

And we had a mouse once, probably brought home from summer camp in our son's gear.

Last edited:
When I was little, we had a bat in our house.

After my husband and I married and moved into our new house, I found a drowned mouse in our utility tub when I was doing laundry 🤢

skeletal animal remains (better than the variety of skeletal remains found up the road from :scared: i warn dh to watch out for these whenever he's digging).

All were growing up in SoCal. Once I came home and a rattlesnake was in the dining room and the dog kept trying to go after it. I was like 16 years old. I got a shovel and whacked it. Gross. When I was 14ish I went down to the kitchen to make coffee for my mom. Stepped on the tail of a big dead rat in a rat trap. Ewww. Our neighbors were hoarders and ordered by the city to clean up, when the clean up started rats went all over the place, including into our house. Last but not least wasn't found, only the smell. A skunk got in the house, probably through the doggie door and sprayed the dog in the kitchen. The whole house has to be professionally cleaned. It was horrible. Interesting teenage years in the suburbs.

In the house: a live bat sleeping on our louvred hall closet door
Outside: the head and wings of one of our neighbor's chickens

We used to have cats... found a dead squirrel tucked into a hole in my son's comforter. Thankfully he was going through a phase of refusing to sleep in his own bed at the time.

Same kid was traumatized by a chipmunk hiding in his shoe at a very young age - it jumped out at just the right moment to give me a heart attack, I screamed and scared him silly. He spent the next 3 months asking about "munks inna shoe" and "munk unna my bed?"

Finally, there was the slaughter incident. Same (poor) kid and I got home with just enough time to grab a snack and change before soccer practice. I made him a sandwich and sat him at the kitchen table then went down the hallway to get his practice stuff. Notice a drop of something on the white tile, then another, then another, by the time I got to the end of the hallway and into our bedroom, it looked like something out of a horror movie. Did a quick search and couldn't find the victim. Threw the kid in the car, called DH and told him what happened and to clean it up/find the victim when he got home - he decided then and there he had to work late. Weird thing, even after tearing the house apart later that night, we never did find out what it was.

After the last incident, we closed up the cat door. If they wanted to go outside, they had to be cleared before being let back in.

snake
mice....many, many over the years (thank you kitties), some alive, some dead and some parts
dead frogs

I once pulled the back half of a dead mouse out of our sink garbage disposal. I thought something normal had gotten stuck and...just ugh. That was the beginning of a period where we were trapping mice every day because the entire street was having a problem. That's the one thing about rowhouses- if one person gets mice, they travel through the ceilings into all the other houses.

It got so bad in our upstairs that my mom and I slept downstairs on the sofa and lounge chair and accompanied each other to the bathroom because we were so scared and freaked out. After the problem subsided with a streetwide effort and many exterminators, we had to deep clean the upstairs because there was so much poop everywhere, and I spent an entire day plugging steel wool and spackle into the numerous holes that had been chewed through the walls. It was a nightmare.

After that, we'd occasionally hear one in the ceiling and I'd take the access panel in the upstairs hallway off and throw loads of poison in, and as far as I know they never got into the actual house again. It gave me a horrible fear of mice and rats that I have to this day. I can't even look at one on TV, I have to turn away.

I've had mice, squirrels and bats inside the house. Snakes outside lots of times, I live in the country. But the worst was the day Sean Connery died I found a poor dead bunny caught in a trellis under our deck.

A year after we moved in we got a knock at the door. It was PA State Police detective. He asked about the basement so we went down to look. No "new" concrete pours around.

2 years after that another knock at the door and this time he said they had a K9 Cadaver dog in the area and they try to utilize things like this as much as possible, so asked if they could have the dog search the property.

Ok, so in the 80's, husband stopped at the grocery store and left wife in the van. He walked out of the grocery store to find the van's doors all open, her purse on the front seat and she was never seen again. It's an open case so the detective said he stops every few years to visit and didn't know the guy moved to Florida and we bought the house.

So, every time I dug a new section of yard for a garden, it was always the same when I went back in the house, "Did you find her?"

So, I have never found the previous owner's wife's body, but I'd been looking for about 17 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter