What's the easiest way for UK DVC owners to rent out their points?

retalic7

Earning My Ears
Evening everyone,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times in the past so I apologise in advance.

I'm potentially looking to rent 135 points in order to pay for our upcoming Disney cruise, and I'm looking to use DVC rental store. However the forms require me to get an ITIN from IRS. Are there other ways for UK DVC owners to rent out their points without the need to get in touch with IRS? I've heard of people using David's vacation club rentals, is this a similar process?

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks

We used David's to rent out some of last year's points.
As they are a Canadian company, there was no IRS involvement or need for an ITIN.
The US Dollar proceeds were paid to our Paypal account which can then be converted and paid to your UK GBP account.
Our initial discussion was by phone for which there is a UK 0800 number.
Once the rental was agreed we phoned DVC and gave them the details of the new "guests" and any particular requirements.
It all went smoothly.

ford family

We used David's to rent out some of last year's points.
As they are a Canadian company, there was no IRS involvement or need for an ITIN.
The US Dollar proceeds were paid to our Paypal account which can then be converted and paid to your UK GBP account.
Our initial discussion was by phone for which there is a UK 0800 number.
Once the rental was agreed we phoned DVC and gave them the details of the new "guests" and any particular requirements.
It all went smoothly.

ford family

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that is very helpful and i'll be sure to give them a call.
Kind regards
Ross

Please let us know how you got on as I will probably like to use Davids in the future to do the same

We had a slug of points that needed to be used so again opted for David's given the fact they don't need to worry about the IRS. Has all worked very smoothly so far, the first tranche of money arrived very quickly and I'm waiting for the balance when the guests stay.

There are a few places you can rent them out, not sure what is allowed here or not.....I think the disboards/The Timeshare Store? rents out points too. I could be wrong. Some place else that should not be a problem being mentioned - perhaps on some of the FB groups?

Good luck!

I used David's like others here to rent out my 2019 points that I couldn't use last year/this year. I picked them because for Timeshare Store and DVC rental store etc you needed to get the ITIN etc due to the IRS.

Does anyone know how to contact Davids Vaction Club rentals and can they make use of banked points?

Thanks xx

Evening everyone,

I'm sure this question has been asked many times in the past so I apologise in advance.

I'm potentially looking to rent 135 points in order to pay for our upcoming Disney cruise, and I'm looking to use DVC rental store. However the forms require me to get an ITIN from IRS. Are there other ways for UK DVC owners to rent out their points without the need to get in touch with IRS? I've heard of people using David's vacation club rentals, is this a similar process?

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
There are Facebook groups dedicated to people looking to rent from owners. I used the group “DVC member point exchange and rental.“
The process is simple, you find a willing renter by either posting what you have to rent and the price or respond to their posting looking for points.
You can also speculatively book a reservation and sell it to someone. This is called a confirmed reservation.
Agree to a price, book the reservation, then they pay you via PayPal or however you agree to manage the payment. Sample contracts are available.
I’m in Canada and rented 500+ points over 1 weekend. They were all banked points I couldn’t use. Rented for $15USD per point, or roughly twice my dues.
Many of the points I rented were to other owners who needed points due to the banking limits or the multiple trips they want to take while the parks have limited capacity.

Thank you to everyone who responded. It's good to know there are several options for overseas DVC owners.
I actually rented out my points last week using David's Vacation Rental and the process was very quick and simple. From the point that my points were officially listed, to the point where they were rented took under 3 hours. Very pleased and would also recommend to anyone considering renting their points.

Does anyone know of any other non US rental broker for DVC other than Dave's?

Dave's force majeure clause is a little worrying especially as it forces the owner to hand back paid monies (even if points are in jeopardy) but does not require the broker to pass it back to the renter.

On the "non US broker", we tried a US broker in the past but it got complicated re ITN number from IRS.

If anyone has "current" points, even if in holding, they can be transferred and there are many owners looking to buy transfers of points. Banked / Borrowed points can not be transferred, so your options are rent them out on your own or thru a website broker or put them into RCI.

As we were unable to travel due to COVID, we rented our 2020 and 2021 points out here on Disboards, fairly straightforward both times, and we used some of the proceeds to pay our 2021 and 2022 dues. Check out the current listings on the DVC Rent/Trade forum to get an idea of what's in involved.
Good luck.

Dave's force majeure clause is a little worrying especially as it forces the owner to hand back paid monies (even if points are in jeopardy) but does not require the broker to pass it back to the renter.

On the "non US broker", we tried a US broker in the past but it got complicated re ITN number from IRS.

Nope.

Agee I wouldn't use David's anymore due to the Force Majeur clause.

we've used David's in the past, but this year they had too many points and never got around to mine.

so i went the DIY route on a few of the DVC point rental facebook groups.
It took a bit of work to get all the points rented, but in the end, i was only left with one point unused.
Hopefully, this will have been a one off.
Our plan is to go every 3 years, using 3 years of points; just that covid got in the way of that this year, leaving me with all those banked points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter