What's for dinner? Was it "budget"?

Yep..

Ham and cheese sandwiches...
Ham- Virginia Baked (deli/2.99lb) and Cheese-Colby(deli/2.67lb)
On Kaiser rolls w/ the remainder of two bags of chips (Baked Lays and Nacho Cheese Doritos) ...

Tacos and refried beans, an old stand-by.

1lb ground turkey 2.49 (not on sale)
taco shells 1.00
beans .69
seasoning .50
taco sauce .25
lettuce and tomatoes .50
cheese and sour cream .75

Total = 6.18

Breaded tilapia fillets from Costco: $4.00 (1/3 of a package)
Green beans: $0.50
Teriyaki rice: $1.00
Ice tea: $0.10
homemade Brownies: $0.50

Total: $6.10
Not bad, 'eh?

Glad to see this thread back in action!

Tonights dinner was a repeat of yesterdays...my world famous chili!

6 lbs Boneless rump roast $18
7 cans diced tomatoes $1
6 cans great northern beans $4
onions, garlic, spices $1
tortillas, sour cream, shredded cheese $2

For a grand total of $26. Half was put up in the freezer. The other half has already been eaten for 2 meals and could easily be 2 more meals. So, we average about $3-4 for 6 to 8 meals.

Bought 2 nice sized roasts a bit ago from Meijer for $8. Cooked them both and am making 3 dinners out of them.

Roast Beef & Gravy

$4 Roast Beef
$1 Potatoes
$.50 Onions and seasonings

$5.50

Beef & Barley Soup

$2 Roast Beef
$1.50 Barley
$1 Veggies
$1 Broth

$5.50

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches

$2 Roast Beef & Gravy
$.50 Bread

$2.50

Under $14 for 3 Dinners! :banana:

Yesterday we had crockpot roast beef with mashed potatoes and broccoli on the side. Brownies too.

Tonight we had shredded roast beef and jalapeno cheddar quesadillas with a salad on the side. Finished the brownies.

I don't think it cost very much; the roast was part of the $2/lb half cow/steer we bought this fall.

Tomorrow, maybe we'll have beef and barley soup! Normally, it wouldn't take this long to go through the meat but one teenage son is sick and the other one is starting to cough and blow his nose.

NHWX

I made the YUMMIEST soup last night... it was a throw-it-together out of what's in the pantry sort of soup, but it really turned out well. had the leftovers for lunch today, and they are even better now!! :goodvibes

First I browned and drained about a pound of hamburger. Peeled and chopped 1 really really big potato (probably would need 2 normal sized ones) and added that to the hamburger along with one 32 oz box of organic beef stock. Added one can of tomatoes "diced with oregano, basil, and garlic", then started adding veggies. I had about 1/2 a bag of frozen mixed veggies in the freezer, threw those in. Had one lonely yellow crookneck squash left over in the veg drawer, so chopped that and threw it in. Had some roasted carrots left over from midweek's pot-roast meal, so chopped those and added them too. I let everything simmer for a while till the potatoes and the squash were done, then seasoned it to taste. Used a little seasoning salt, some garlic, some powdered beef soup base, and a hefty dash of worchestershire sauce. Simmered for a while longer, then served with nice crusty french bread.

It was sooooo good! The W-sauce really added a nice tang.

Now, we don't cook with onions, but if you wanted to add them, i would cook them up with the hamburger. :)

Have a good weekend!

edited to add: For health reasons, I try to avoid msg as much as possible. That's the reason for the organic stock, and all of my seasonings (salt mixes, soup bases, etc) are usually either organic, low sodium, or msg-free. You'd be amazed how hard it is to find stuff that doesn't have msg...

Yesterday was a whole chicken, potatoes and veggie $9
Today I took left over chicken threw in some noodles, added some carrots and chicken stock (all from home/pantry) and thats tonights dinner with some Boboli Pizza's (also always in the house)
No fuss, yummy and EASY!

I made the YUMMIEST soup last night... it was a throw-it-together out of what's in the pantry sort of soup, but it really turned out well. had the leftovers for lunch today, and they are even better now!! :goodvibes

First I browned and drained about a pound of hamburger. Peeled and chopped 1 really really big potato (probably would need 2 normal sized ones) and added that to the hamburger along with one 32 oz box of organic beef stock. Added one can of tomatoes "diced with oregano, basil, and garlic", then started adding veggies. I had about 1/2 a bag of frozen mixed veggies in the freezer, threw those in. Had one lonely yellow crookneck squash left over in the veg drawer, so chopped that and threw it in. Had some roasted carrots left over from midweek's pot-roast meal, so chopped those and added them too. I let everything simmer for a while till the potatoes and the squash were done, then seasoned it to taste. Used a little seasoning salt, some garlic, some powdered beef soup base, and a hefty dash of worchestershire sauce. Simmered for a while longer, then served with nice crusty french bread.

It was sooooo good! The W-sauce really added a nice tang.

Now, we don't cook with onions, but if you wanted to add them, i would cook them up with the hamburger. :)

Have a good weekend!

edited to add: For health reasons, I try to avoid msg as much as possible. That's the reason for the organic stock, and all of my seasonings (salt mixes, soup bases, etc) are usually either organic, low sodium, or msg-free. You'd be amazed how hard it is to find stuff that doesn't have msg...
MSG triggers my migraines so I know exactly how hard it is to kind stuff that does not have it in.:)

MSG triggers my migraines so I know exactly how hard it is to kind stuff that does not have it in.:)

Same basic thing for me. I have a mild seizure disorder and MSG is my biggest trigger. My neuro says its very common, both for seizures and migraines.

Same basic thing for me. I have a mild seizure disorder and MSG is my biggest trigger. My neuro says its very common, both for seizures and migraines.

does aspartame do it to you as well. Its another one of my triggers.

does aspartame do it to you as well. Its another one of my triggers.

Not sure, because I can't *stand* the taste of it, so don't have it.
My neuro said its also a very common neurological trigger, though.

I'm so glad I found this thread! I was thinking of starting one similar until I saw it!

Tonight we are making one of our go-to meals lately, Chinese pan fried dumplings. DH loves these and has requested them weekly! (which for him is a big deal!)

We use half of a pound of veggie meat (fake beef, I'm vegetarian) and mix it with 3/4 bag of coleslaw mix with spices like ground ginger and cumin. Coleslaw mix is probably not as cheap as if I would buy the cabbage myself but boy it's so much easier! Then, we make the dumpling wrappers with flour and water and oil using the dough recipe found here. We pan fry them and make Asian dipping sauce from sesame oil and soy sauce. Yummy!!!

Earlier this week we made tuna (or no tuna for me) noodle casserole with cream of mushroom soup, peas, egg noodles, milk, a little sour cream, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I got one of those 33 cent bags of chips to crumble over the top.

We use half of a pound of veggie meat (fake beef, I'm vegetarian) and mix it with 3/4 bag of coleslaw mix with spices like ground ginger and cumin. Coleslaw mix is probably not as cheap as if I would buy the cabbage myself but boy it's so much easier! Then, we make the dumpling wrappers with flour and water and oil using the dough recipe found here. We pan fry them and make Asian dipping sauce from sesame oil and soy sauce. Yummy!!!

That sounds sooo good! I love those in restaurants, but never thought about actually making my own. How do you pan fry them? Just a little oil until they brown? Do you find that enough time the get the cabbage "done" enough?

What meat replacement products do you use? I am not a vegetarian, but DH has some extended family who are, so we are used to eating veg when we eat with them. I even make some of their recipes when I cook for us sometimes. :) They use a lot of the Loma Linda/Worthington products. I am particularily fond of Fri-Chik and Skallops, and DH loves Vege-links hot dogs. He would usually rather have those then a traditional hot dog. One recipe I make quite often is for an easy casserole using Skallops:

Grease a 9X13 (or similiar) baking dish. Put a bag (more or less) of frozen tater tots in the bottom of the pan. Drain one or two cans of green beans, and spread those over top of the tater tots. Now, open up a can of Skallops, drain well, and cut each big chunk into two or three smaller pieces. Scatter those over top of the green beans. Mix up two or three cans of cream of mushroom soup with enough water to make the consistancy of a thick sauce, and pou that all over the top. Give the pan a little shimmy-shake to get the sauce distributed down into the casserole a little bit. bake, uncovered, at 350° for about 45 minutes. Sprinkle a little cheese (or a LOT of cheese if you ask my DH) on top and return to the oven till the cheese melts and browns a little bit. YUMMY! :goodvibes

Welcome to the thread! :hippie:

Glad you liked the recipe! We cook them in a tiny bit of oil (just enough to cover the pan) for 2-3 minutes and then pour 1 c. of water it, put the lid on, and then let them cook 6-7 minutes. They are yummy and much easier to make than I would have though too!

I use Morningstar frozen veggie crumbles for my 'beef'. It is one of my top two fake meats and makes my non veggie DH very satisfied for meals. I have not seen the skallops that you mention but I'll look for them! It would be great to have a fish alternative.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter