What would you do?

What would you do?

• Keep CR~theme park view ressie

• Change to POR/or value ressie

Results are only viewable after voting.

BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM

DIS Veteran
Posting this here, as well as the resort board since it's budget related! Okay, I feel like I might as well join the resort changers just for posting this! Okay, here's the deal. A while back I "forced"(dh doesn't talk Disney much, even though he likes it and all) dh to tell me which resort he would like to stay at if given a choice. He finally said he guessed it would be CR. I was asking because I was planning a possible birthday trip later!

Okay, fast forward a few months..I got the year long PIN code.. 20% off values/30%off mods/40% off deluxes. I immediately called and was told that only tower~theme park view was available. Okay..so I asked the price..$5100 for 2 adults and 3 kids(including 7day hoppers and the regular DDP based on 4 adults(two kids are over 9yrs.) and 1 child. Okay, well that sounded pretty darn good compared to prices I had seen in the past! Of course dh says it's only a good deal if you are willing to pay that much!

Fast forward again..dh and I are having a conversation..something like me saying..well that would only save about $1,000. He says something back like..well $1,000 must not seem like much to you anymore or something, but it seems like alot to me! Then, he says he can't see why we don't just stay at Windsor Hills like usual, and that since I had "built up" onsite so much that he hoped I would end up seeing it probably wasn't all it was made out to be!!

Okay...soo...the facts are..I know that obviously money is the only reason why he cares where we stay. He does have a bit of a hard time letting go of money. BUT, he does REALLY enjoy our Disney vacations!! Really!! It is just hard for him to rationalize spending that money and then in a week it's over!

So..I called and checked last night and found out that our cheapest onsite option will actually be about the same(after running numbers for food and all) as staying offsite at the condo I was quoted $3135 at POR with the QS plan/7day base tickets. Also, IF (not betting on it though) FD was offered(and we switched from the current PIN offer) the trip would be only around $2,500(cheaper than condo).
AsMu f.s. with QS is about $600 more. Also, I'm not into trying for connecting rooms at a value for fear of not getting them. So, POR is our best value. We would have our own car, so transporation wouldn't be a biggie. I actually had POR booked last year and stressed about it possibly being too crowded in our room and changed to offsite! I just don't know how painful it will be too take that MK view wallpaper off of my computer!

Dh does not get involved with booking, etc., he tells me to just do what I think is best..which makes things VERY difficult! So, all things considered......what would you do?????

Edited to say..I guess I left out an option of still trying to get a wing room(none available) at CR/dropping the hoppers/ and going to QS dining
That would obviously make a big difference as well.:idea:

I voted change to POR because if I understand it correctly, you'll save about $2000 off of staying at CR. While I have not stayed at CR, I have stayed at POLY and while it was nice...it really wasn't that much nicer than PO for the money. If your DH has "money issues" then perhaps this is the way to go...kind of a compromise between CR and ASM.

Honestly, I am with your husband. I would opt to save the money and go to value or por. You still get the total disney experience. We go to DW several times a year. We mainly stay offsite and once a year will stay on site. We always go value or mod to save money. We wouldn't be able to afford going to DW nearly as often if we had to spend $5000 per trip. There is no way we could wing that several times a year. Actually, our kids prefer the value (all under 7) over any of the other resorts because they relate more to the theming. Good luck. Whatever you choose will be fun. You will be at DW.

If you're comparing POR (QS plan and base tickets) to CR (DDP and hopping tickets), then it's not quite a fair comparison. You should price CR with the QS plan and base tickets. I don't know how big the difference will be then - if dropping the hopping and the DDP gets you under $4,000 for CR, than I would stick with CR if you can afford it. Otherwise, I would drop to POR.

I would change to POR- and then take what you've saved and put it toward your next trip to CR. Save up for it by saving change, recycling aluminum, babysitting, whatever it takes! You'll feel so much better about both trips, plus you'll have gotten to WDW twice, and compromising with DH!

If you're comparing POR (QS plan and base tickets) to CR (DDP and hopping tickets), then it's not quite a fair comparison. You should price CR with the QS plan and base tickets. I don't know how big the difference will be then - if dropping the hopping and the DDP gets you under $4,000 for CR, than I would stick with CR if you can afford it. Otherwise, I would drop to POR.

DITTO! You're comparing apples to oranges.

I would seriously consider WH with 3 kids. In either CR or POR you are going to be crammed liked sardines with five people and the corresponding luggage in one room with only one bathroom. There is something to be said about having SPACE for everyone to lounge and relax.

I would change to POR- and then take what you've saved and put it toward your next trip to CR. Save up for it by saving change, recycling aluminum, babysitting, whatever it takes! You'll feel so much better about both trips, plus you'll have gotten to WDW twice, and compromising with DH!

I wasn't really trying to "compare"..just showing how inexpensive I could get the trip down to. As far as CR with base/QS, I'm getting around $4250. BUT, if any wing rooms opened up, that could take it to around $3500, which is actually cheaper than AsMu f.s. (because of the 40% vs. 20%)!!!

another option would be wilderness lodge. They are a bit cheaper then CR, but still close to mK.

I TOTALLY understand your dilemma. We have been planning our Disney trip (booking on Friday) and have been waffling between beach Club and POR due to the price (its about a $800 difference) and we are going with beach club.

We have never stayed at a deluxe before, DH wants a more crowded resort then we had last time (CBR) and we want to have much more easier access to transportation. For us, the extra we spent was negligible (if we were spending several thousand more, well its a different story).

I would seriously consider WH with 3 kids. In either CR or POR you are going to be crammed liked sardines with five people and the corresponding luggage in one room with only one bathroom. There is something to be said about having SPACE for everyone to lounge and relax.

We do like WH. We have stayed there twice. Last summer we stayed there for 2 weeks. I really just want to try onsite at least once, but mainly I want to do a dining plan and get everything prepaid this time. Last time we just went hog wild eating whereever/whenever and I had some debt to pay off when we got back. I think I would enjoy some structure this time.

another option would be wilderness lodge. They are a bit cheaper then CR, but still close to mK.

I TOTALLY understand your dilemma. We have been planning our Disney trip (booking on Friday) and have been waffling between beach Club and POR due to the price (its about a $800 difference) and we are going with beach club.

We have never stayed at a deluxe before, DH wants a more crowded resort then we had last time (CBR) and we want to have much more easier access to transportation. For us, the extra we spent was negligible (if we were spending several thousand more, well its a different story).

I wish we did have the option of one day staying at WL or AKL, but for families of 5 they only offer the very expensive deluxe rooms!

If you can afford the CR without giving up too much else between now and your trip, I'd stick with it. We are also a family of 5 and have stayed at a few different Disney resorts including CR. The kids' absolute, hands-down favorite trip ever was the CR. There is no comparison to being able to walk to MK versus catching a bus to anywhere!!!! My kids adored the CR, the gameroom, renting water mice (called something else now) at the marina. Anytime I mention going back to Disney, all of them ask if we can go to the CR again. Our dh's sound a bit similar and mine thought offsite would be a better bargain until we did it and then he hated commuting in and out twice every day. It was nice to have our own house and so much space but when we're at Disney, we are AT Disney. Now he only wants to do onsite.

If you can afford the CR without giving up too much else between now and your trip, I'd stick with it. We are also a family of 5 and have stayed at a few different Disney resorts including CR. The kids' absolute, hands-down favorite trip ever was the CR. There is no comparison to being able to walk to MK versus catching a bus to anywhere!!!! My kids adored the CR, the gameroom, renting water mice (called something else now) at the marina. Anytime I mention going back to Disney, all of them ask if we can go to the CR again. Our dh's sound a bit similar and mine thought offsite would be a better bargain until we did it and then he hated commuting in and out twice every day. It was nice to have our own house and so much space but when we're at Disney, we are AT Disney. Now he only wants to do onsite.

Well, since my dh has never experienced onsite, hopefully he will decide he really likes it!!! I am afraid if we stay at a value/mod that he won't like it as much and say.."see, told ya so"!:rotfl:
Did you and your family stay in the tower?

POR is very nice though you'd have to share one bathroom which you're not accustomed to. Good luck with you're decision. I would choose WH but that's not one of your options.

How tall is your DD? The trundle at POR is best when the person smaller.

When I spend money I look at it more in the how long do I have to work to make that money.

How did you enjoy your condo last year?

I would change to two value rooms and keep the ddp and hoppers. You would have more space and privacy(2 bathrooms!). I might be wrong about this but I thought if the children outnumbered the adults that you should be guaranteed connecting rooms.

Then you can use your ddp credits to eat at the places you really want instead of eating QS all day. And you'll have the freedom of hoppers and not being tied to one park all day. How much time are you really going to spend in the room vs at the parks?

How tall is your DD? The trundle at POR is best when the person smaller.

When I spend money I look at it more in the how long do I have to work to make that money.

How did you enjoy your condo last year?

Actually my youngest (ds) just turned 5yrs. old , so we're okay with the trundle. As far as the condo, we have always liked staying there just fine. I really just wanted to try out onsite and prepay everything as well. I guess I'm still wondering about that "magic" onsite is supposed to have!!

I would change to two value rooms and keep the ddp and hoppers. You would have more space and privacy(2 bathrooms!). I might be wrong about this but I thought if the children outnumbered the adults that you should be guaranteed connecting rooms.

Then you can use your ddp credits to eat at the places you really want instead of eating QS all day. And you'll have the freedom of hoppers and not being tied to one park all day. How much time are you really going to spend in the room vs at the parks?

Actually since our PIN is 20%off values and 40% off deluxes, doing that would cost us over $4300. That is even more than staying at the CR wing with DDP and hoppers(although the wing seems to not be available right now!) We could even stay at CR with a theme park view, QS, and base tickets for around 4200 with our PIN. I know those are great deals, I was just looking for the best deals to show dh our options!

Actually my youngest (ds) just turned 5yrs. old , so we're okay with the trundle. As far as the condo, we have always liked staying there just fine. I really just wanted to try out onsite and prepay everything as well. I guess I'm still wondering about that "magic" onsite is supposed to have!!

I just figured you would not want a 13 year old boy and a 10 year old girl in the same bed. That is why I asked about her on the trundle.

We have done both on and off and really prefer on. DH and I drive all week long and for us a vacation is to not have to drive.

Try the POR and see how you like it.

Posting this here, as well as the resort board since it's budget related! Okay, I feel like I might as well join the resort changers just for posting this! Okay, here's the deal. A while back I "forced"(dh doesn't talk Disney much, even though he likes it and all) dh to tell me which resort he would like to stay at if given a choice. He finally said he guessed it would be CR. I was asking because I was planning a possible birthday trip later!

Okay, fast forward a few months..I got the year long PIN code.. 20% off values/30%off mods/40% off deluxes. I immediately called and was told that only tower~theme park view was available. Okay..so I asked the price..$5100 for 2 adults and 3 kids(including 7day hoppers and the regular DDP based on 4 adults(two kids are over 9yrs.) and 1 child. Okay, well that sounded pretty darn good compared to prices I had seen in the past! Of course dh says it's only a good deal if you are willing to pay that much!

Fast forward again..dh and I are having a conversation..something like me saying..well that would only save about $1,000. He says something back like..well $1,000 must not seem like much to you anymore or something, but it seems like alot to me! Then, he says he can't see why we don't just stay at Windsor Hills like usual, and that since I had "built up" onsite so much that he hoped I would end up seeing it probably wasn't all it was made out to be!!

Okay...soo...the facts are..I know that obviously money is the only reason why he cares where we stay. He does have a bit of a hard time letting go of money. BUT, he does REALLY enjoy our Disney vacations!! Really!! It is just hard for him to rationalize spending that money and then in a week it's over!

So..I called and checked last night and found out that our cheapest onsite option will actually be about the same(after running numbers for food and all) as staying offsite at the condo I was quoted $3135 at POR with the QS plan/7day base tickets. Also, IF (not betting on it though) FD was offered(and we switched from the current PIN offer) the trip would be only around $2,500(cheaper than condo).
AsMu f.s. with QS is about $600 more. Also, I'm not into trying for connecting rooms at a value for fear of not getting them. So, POR is our best value. We would have our own car, so transporation wouldn't be a biggie. I actually had POR booked last year and stressed about it possibly being too crowded in our room and changed to offsite! I just don't know how painful it will be too take that MK view wallpaper off of my computer!

Dh does not get involved with booking, etc., he tells me to just do what I think is best..which makes things VERY difficult! So, all things considered......what would you do?????

Edited to say..I guess I left out an option of still trying to get a wing room(none available) at CR/dropping the hoppers/ and going to QS dining
That would obviously make a big difference as well.:idea:

If money is not an issue, I would definitely keep the reservations you have now.

I love staying at the CR (especially during Christmas). We've stayed in the Towers many, many times over the years and the view of the MK can't be beat. It's fun to watch the MK come alive each day. Plus you can't beat the convenience of the monorail and being able to go to other mono resorts for dinner and you can walk to the MK.

If you do decide to stay at the Contemporary, ask for high floor right in the middle.

You only live once...:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter