What would you do? Fly or stay at GF?

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
I had it all planned....we were going to drive to Orlando from Huntsville (about 10 hours, I'm guessing) and stay at GF for our last big bash to Disney....will probably go again in about 10 years but will take a long siesta.

I had considered flying but the airfare was prohibitive...now they have a special for $140 RT (There are 5 of us) but that would mean I would need to change our hotel...we've stayed at AKL, Poly, and OKW and want to try something different...I had picked GF because of the monorail and knowing once the kids are over 9 I'll never be able to afford two rooms because we'll need the space.

So, do you switch hotels (going Jan-28/2-4) and fly or stay at the GF and drive? Thanks for your help!

Tara

If that was my only option I would just drive and stay at the GF. We are about 7 hours here in Pensacola and it is not bad . We bought a Portable DVD and bought the kids a couple of new movies to watch and the drive went fine.

I'd also drive. We also have a 10 hour drive from NC and have done it twice and it wasn't so bad (flew for our other trips). The GF is a great hotel and you guys really should get a chance to stay there.
-HM

GF is totally worth a 10 hour car drive. Especially since this will be your only chance to stay there. Have a wonderful time.

If you do not normally mind driving then I go along with the others and say go ahead and drive. But if driving is really a pain and you'd much rather fly than drive, then see what you can get at another resort - hold that ressie, do not cancel GF and see if the good fare and flight times are still available. Then cancel the resort you will not need. You'll only be holding 2 ressies for a day or so, not months.

I know as much as we might want to stay at a certain resort, when money, time or simply making life easier means staying elsewhere...well, in the end I think I'd enjoy the vacation more no matter where I stay - as long as it is a Disney resort and not off site :)

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide?

:wave:
PS what will the weather be like for driving the end of January?

Skip the drive to the airport, the having to get there early, flying, dealing with airport baggage, and getting to WDW!!

DRIVE and then have a great time at the GF!!!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Drive...

fahr29.gif

Here's our September flying timeline
Driving to airport, parking at Park-n-Fly: 2 hours
Early arrival at airport: 2 hours
Flight (including boarding & disembarking): 2 hours
Rental car pick-up: 1 hour (long line)
Drive to WDW from MCO: 30 minutes

Total: 7 1/2 hours

We have about an 11 1/2 hour drive. For a chance to stay at the GF I would have happily spent an extra 4 hours driving. I don't think we'll fly again.

Jennifer

I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you that we have chosen a 23 hour drive (over 3 days) in order to stay at a monorail resort over flying and staying somewhere less expensive. We're stopping in Destin on the way home so that when we're done with Disney we still have something to look forward to other than just a long drive. It will be an adventure for us, and will give me a chance to show the kids such things as the Vicksburg battlefield as well. They've never seen a civil war site, they've never seen the ocean, they've never seen WDW. It's going to be quite an experience for all of us! Even though I know the drive itself is going to be a pain, I can't wait to hit the interstate!

Y'all are making me feel much better about driving. The longest drive we've taken was 7 hours to New Orleans....they did pretty well. And now they're even older ( 5, 6, 9) so it shouldn't be so bad. The weather at the end of January is usually pretty mild (50's) but every now and then we get a weird ice storm around that time...just have to hope for the best...luckily it's interstate all the way. Mapquest says it'll take 10.5 hours so we figure we can do it in less time...stopping every 3 hours to stretch play and run at rest stops. The greatest part is I haven't told them where we're staying! No one knows but me! :) Well, and you guys!

If any of you have neat off the road historical spots or cool tourist stops from Atlanta (not much from Huntsville-Atlanta) down to Orlando...let me know!
Thanks!!!
Tara

Mentone is neat for a picnic. You can get to ATL from HSV through Mentone. Slightly slower, but interesting. That's all I've got.

For me it would depend on where you would end up staying instead of the GF. If another one of the monorail resorts is available for close to the cost of the airfare, or even the WL, then it might be worth it to switch. If you'd move down to one of the moderates, if it were me, I'd probably drive. Incidentally, if one of them is not crib size, not all of the resorts will allow 5 in a room.

A 10 hour drive, particularly if at least 2 of your 5 travellers are potty-trained children, is really a test. I agree with the others who say that from a time perspective, you won't save much time over flying, depending on the length of your drive to the airport. (Although you will save some -- upwards of 6 or 8 hours roundtip; depending on how efficiently you drive.) Still, flying is much easier. It may take you 7 hours door to door to fly, but it's 7 easier hours. Part of depends, I think, on what value you put on those few extra hours that you'll have less time at WDW.

Some of the advantages of driving though. (1) You don't need to fret as much about packing. This saves time, particularly when you're ready to leave the resort. Just toss stuff in bags in the car if you need to. (2) You save on a rental car. (Although that's probably offset by the price of gas.) If you wouldn't rent a car if you flew, then you're saving time by not always having to rely on Disney transportation. (3) You can bring your own groceries!

I would drive in a heartbeat if I were you.

Besides getting to stay at the GF, you'll have your own car which is a big perk. Much faster to drive to all the parks (except MK of course) from the GF.

You won't have to worry about weather or "equipment" delays or long security lines at the airport. You can leave both your own home and the GF on your time frame not the airlines. You could even leave the resort on the late side on your last day (have to check out earlier of course) after enjoying the parks, pool or beach and drive a few hours and stay at a cheap place on the way home.

If we lived just 10 hours away, I believe we would drive every time.

I'll be a lone voice here... You said you won't be going back for 10 years, so nows the time to just plain splurge. Fly AND stay at GF. You'll spend $700 in airfare, but you could save up to about $200 in gas and tolls and another $100 or so in mileage depreciation on your car. The towncar roundtrip will cost you $100.

So, assuming that the incremental cost of flying is $500... 20 hours behind the wheel v. 4 hours in a plane. It's worth it to me. Depending on the flight times, you'll get up to an additional 12 hours at WDW. Another whole half a day.

Go all out, you won't be back for 10 years.

Oh I would drive no doubt.

I live in MI and it is like 22 hours (around in there) and we drive all the time. For us it is either drive and go or don't go because we couldn't afford airfare for 4 and go to Disney without extensive saving.

You are speaking my language! :) Believe me I am soo tempted to just fly and do GF...but I have a set budget I have to stick to because we're moving for the last time (our house will be finished Christmas week) and we need a new refrigerator, bed, mattresses, and all the extras that go along with moving out of state. We haven't sold our home here in TN yet....if I knew that was sold then I'd probably buy them...but that airfare rate probably won't last until we sell it...so believe me we are living it up to the extent of our budget....I'll have half the trip paid for before we go and am relying on tax return to pay the other half...so I'm already STREEEETCCHHED! :) This coming from the lady who was thrilled to get Beach Club for 209....then with the slide being closed went to CR Tower...then figured...what the hey stretch the budget another $200 for the GF. So I'm so stretched my pursestrings may pop! :)

We've got a big trip planned for England the next Spring so I've got to start saving for that one and don't want to have to be paying off this trip after we take it! :) Can't wait for my retirement years where this won't even be a question! :) Well, atleast we hope so! :)
Tara

It can actually be fun and educational! We drive 22hrs every time. The trip home seems longer, but we try to break it up, that helps.
Hey, Jalva22...where are you from? I live in Muskogee?!!:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter