What would you do about going up a day early

PKT531

Mouseketeer
We are staying at the Poly from 12/17-12/23.

We got a great PIN rate with room discount and free dining.

We want to go up a day early (16th). We drive so we'd be arriving at about 10 PM after a 8-9 hour drive.

At first I thought we'd stay at a value for around $100....but my DH said we should just go right to the Poly.

So....I called to add the night at Poly and they charged me rack rate of $383. Keep in mind that we'll get an extra day of free dining if we do that.....I figured that to be about $140 in food that we'd spend anyway during our stay.

I just wanted some opinions to see if we should spend that extra $$ or just check into a value resort.

Assumming the value is $100 plus $140 in food that we'd lose from the free dining.....it comes out to saving about $140 to skip the Poly that night.

Part of me thinks it worth the extra $140 to wake up at the Poly and start our vacation without having to drive from a value to the Poly and load/unload again. Since we have 3 small kids....there is a ALOT to load/unload.

Thanks for any opinions.

To me, it sounds like a lot of money for a 10 pm arrival. You say that you'll arrive at that time after an 8-9 hour drive, which means you don't plan on leaving home until around 1 pm?

Is there any way you could leave earlier in the day from home, so your arrival after the 8-9 hour drive would be early evening? At least that way you could enjoy the resort for the evening and unwind after the drive.

Susan

To me, it sounds like a lot of money for a 10 pm arrival. You say that you'll arrive at that time after an 8-9 hour drive, which means you don't plan on leaving home until around 1 pm?

Is there any way you could leave earlier in the day from home, so your arrival after the 8-9 hour drive would be early evening? At least that way you could enjoy the resort for the evening and unwind after the drive.

Susan

No,we can't leave any earlier. My dd is in school and my DH is a teacher. They are already missing 3 days that week and can't miss another day.

I've done that and stayed at the value for the one night and was so disappointed when I got there that we ended up hopping on the bus to Downtown Disney for the evening. We really thought we could occupy ourselves at the value for a few hours but just couldn't, and could hardly wait to get to the Poly the next day. I've also done this with staying at the Swan or Dolphin for the first night which is much nicer than a value and you can still get good rates - and they have plenty to keep you busy for the night - but doing it again - I'd just splurge on the Poly, enjoy the evening atmosphere at the resort, and then get up early and be ready to hit the parks. You won't have to worry about moving your car and all that and can just hop on the monorail and go. If my DH said just pay the extra - the money would be spent before he even finished speaking the words!

Why not get a room at the Hyatt inside MCO. That way you can go right to your room sleep and wake up bring and early to head to the Poly to start your vacation. This is what we had planed to too until our flight got changed to a 4:00pm arrival instead of 9:30pm.

Whoops..... I just re-read your post and noticed that you are driving. I say if you can afford the cost then just stay at the Poly. If not I'm sure sleeping at a value will work. As another poster stated that they could not stand the wait at a value......my family really enjoyed our stay at POP last year so I'm sure your kids would too.

We want to go up a day early (16th). We drive so we'd be arriving at about 10 PM after a 8-9 hour drive.

At first I thought we'd stay at a value for around $100....but my DH said we should just go right to the Poly.

So....I called to add the night at Poly and they charged me rack rate of $383. Keep in mind that we'll get an extra day of free dining if we do that.....I figured that to be about $140 in food that we'd spend anyway during our stay.

I just wanted some opinions to see if we should spend that extra $$ or just check into a value resort.

Assumming the value is $100 plus $140 in food that we'd lose from the free dining.....it comes out to saving about $140 to skip the Poly that night.

Part of me thinks it worth the extra $140 to wake up at the Poly and start our vacation without having to drive from a value to the Poly and load/unload again. Since we have 3 small kids....there is a ALOT to load/unload.

Thanks for any opinions.

Call and ask for either the NYB or FXW codes. These are general public codes that anyone can use. It says value,mods,or villas but you can use it for deluxe hotels too. I did this morning.

Why not get a room at the Hyatt inside MCO. That way you can go right to your room sleep and wake up bring and early to head to the Poly to start your vacation. This is what we had planed to too until our flight got changed to a 4:00pm arrival instead of 9:30pm.

What is MCO?

Call and ask for either the NYB or FXW codes. These are general public codes that anyone can use. It says value,mods,or villas but you can use it for deluxe hotels too. I did this morning.

We already have free dining,so I wouldn't want to lose that. I think the free dining on that extra night would save us more $$.

We already have free dining,so I wouldn't want to lose that. I think the free dining on that extra night would save us more $$.

Why not do a room only discount for the one night so you can save on the room, since you are checking in so late. Then start your free dining package the next day.

MCO is the airport in Orlando, after I re-read your post I noticed you were driving rather than flying.

i think i would probably stay at the poly. yes you would save 140 to stay at a value, but the hassle of moving the next day with 3 little ones... i just dont know if it would be worth it. now if money was tight, i would stay at the value and just make the best of it. if it isnt that big of a deal, i say go for the poly. either way, have fun!!! =)

I would splurge for the Poly because I wouldn't want to worry about moving around. The way you put it, I think it would be worth the $140. Our flight arrives really late, around 10pm. We decided to just go straight to the AKL instead of trying to stay somewhere cheaper for the first night. My DH is also a teacher so we were limited to when we could fly out...we decided to fly out late on a Friday so that we have a full day on Saturday. :)

I would just go right to the Poly. This way you can get straight into vacation mode and get into having fun. I know its going to be late but this means no rush in the morning to check out and move resorts.

Have fun whatever you decide :)

we planned a dec 13-19 vacation to AKL club level...well about a month ago we decided we wanted to go a day early so I called and they said they had a room at pop but they told me to hold on...the guy came back and offered me a room at AKL CLUB for my original rate (40% code) so we would not have to move hotels! my code expired in march so I am thrilled!

Nope, no way I'd spend $383 for one night of hotel if I'm arriving at 10pm!

You also have a schedule problem: 'Ohana and Kona Cafe - and most other resort restaurants at WDW - stop seating at 10pm. You'd be arriving at 10pm, then checking in and getting settled in your room, and then going to dinner, which would make dinner nearly 11pm - maybe later if you have any trouble with your room. Your only option at that point would be Captain Cooks. Are you willing to spend $383 for a bed, some hot dogs and chicken fingers, and a Dole Whip?

It would probably be a better plan to stop somewhere off-site for dinner on the way in (maybe a Perkins or Applebees or other chain restaurant), then go to your resort. And plan on a Value or Moderate, or even an off-site hotel, for far less money.

I figure it more like this:
$100 for the Value resort
$20x2 for adult dinners at the resort food court
$15x3 for kid dinners
---------------------
Total: $185

Also keep in mind that these numbers are conservative; eating at Perkins will not cost you $20 per adult and $15 per kid. And if you choose an off-site hotel for that first night, you could find a place for as little as $60-$80.

$185 VS $383 for a night at the Poly and dinner at Capt. Cooks? That's a $200 savings. For me, it's a no-brainer.

As to the trouble of unpacking, repacking, and unpackint again, well, that's all in the planning. Pack a small bag with just the stuff you need for that first night, then you don't have to unload the whole car and reload in the morning.

A lot of people are willing and able to blow an extra $200 just for the convenience of saving an hour or two in the morning changing resorts, and for the Disney atmosphere for the 8-12 hours you'll be in the room - most of which will be spent unconcious - but I'd rather save that $200 for souveniers or Christmas presents. I'm dirt-poor and couldn't afford it, anyway, but even if I could, the value of what I'd be getting is just not worth the money, IMHO.

Nope, no way I'd spend $383 for one night of hotel if I'm arriving at 10pm!

You also have a schedule problem: 'Ohana and Kona Cafe - and most other resort restaurants at WDW - stop seating at 10pm. You'd be arriving at 10pm, then checking in and getting settled in your room, and then going to dinner, which would make dinner nearly 11pm - maybe later if you have any trouble with your room. Your only option at that point would be Captain Cooks. Are you willing to spend $383 for a bed, some hot dogs and chicken fingers, and a Dole Whip?

It would probably be a better plan to stop somewhere off-site for dinner on the way in (maybe a Perkins or Applebees or other chain restaurant), then go to your resort. And plan on a Value or Moderate, or even an off-site hotel, for far less money.

I figure it more like this:
$100 for the Value resort
$20x2 for adult dinners at the resort food court
$15x3 for kid dinners
---------------------
Total: $185

Also keep in mind that these numbers are conservative; eating at Perkins will not cost you $20 per adult and $15 per kid. And if you choose an off-site hotel for that first night, you could find a place for as little as $60-$80.

$185 VS $383 for a night at the Poly and dinner at Capt. Cooks? That's a $200 savings. For me, it's a no-brainer.

As to the trouble of unpacking, repacking, and unpackint again, well, that's all in the planning. Pack a small bag with just the stuff you need for that first night, then you don't have to unload the whole car and reload in the morning.

A lot of people are willing and able to blow an extra $200 just for the convenience of saving an hour or two in the morning changing resorts, and for the Disney atmosphere for the 8-12 hours you'll be in the room - most of which will be spent unconcious - but I'd rather save that $200 for souveniers or Christmas presents. I'm dirt-poor and couldn't afford it, anyway, but even if I could, the value of what I'd be getting is just not worth the money, IMHO.

Those dining credits don't have to be used the night I check in. We won't even be eating that night. I'll use the credits later on in the week. They will definatley get used b/c we usually pay out of pocket for a couple of meals even though we are on the dining plan....somehow we always go over.

But I can see your point *if* the dining credits had to be used that same night. If that was the case.....I wouldn't even consider checking into the Poly at 10 PM.

Thanks for any opinions.

ADD ANOTHER NIGHT AT THE POLY....you'll be so glad you did!!!!! We did this exact same thing last September and we don't regret it at all :thumbsup2. We ended up getting airline tickets cheaper by flying in the night before (didn't get in until around 11:00 pm) so we added an extra night at the Poly during free dining.....and it was a great decision :). We ended up paying about $200 more in the end by the time we paid another night at rack rate and the extra time on the rental car.....but we did end up with another night's worth of FREE dining credits ;). But the best part was waking up at the Poly the next morning to start our day rather than having that be a travel day.....plus we were settled in for the week :goodvibes. If I was faced with the same situation again, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat :thumbsup2. So my suggestion is if the extra night at the Poly is doable.....go with it because you will be so glad you did once you wake up that next morning all settled in at the Poly :yay:. Good luck and have a great trip :wizard:.

We just came back Saturday and since we couldnt find cheap airfare out on the 28th (our first night at the beach club villas), we chose to fly in on the 27th and stay one night at the All star Music.

It wasnt bad at all. We arrived at 11pm, slept until 7.30 and dropped off our luggage at bell services for them to transfer right after brkfst. Then we took the bus to the Studios, and the boat to Boardwalk. It was easy peasy

The rooms at ALl Star are tiny but for one night, who cares. We saved quite a bit this way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter