What to wear to an 11:00 am wedding and where to buy it on a budget?

gabriellyn

Woohoo!
Hi all - my youngest sister is getting married in August. It will be an outdoor wedding in Oregon at 11:00 am. She is sort of non-traditional, so I know it won't be ultra-formal, and besides, it's at 11:00 am. But I am clueless as what to wear - for myself, my kiddos and DH too. I am thinking the 2yo won't be attending, so at least I won't have to worry about that.

Any ideas? And where to buy? We are going to have to spend quite a bit to get there, so I don't want to bust our budget with clothing we probably won't wear again...

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I had an outdoor wedding in Oregon in Aug. and the weather can be very moody. But I would suggest buying some dresses after all the easter clothes go on sale. And bring an umbrella just in case.

Target has Easter outfits on sale this week. Also, Children's Place always has good sales. What about kakki pants for the guys with short sleeved button down shirts or golf/polo shirts. I personally would wear a skirt and a shirt, that way you can still wear the shirt after the fact. I am not a big fan of dresses myself, but I am very tall and find most of them to be way to short for me.

Good ideas! I think khaki's for the guys will be perfect. I like the idea of the Easter dresses and thank you for the tip on the umbrella!

I have no clue what to wear but I would also check the day or two after easter to see if you can find something on clearance.

Or check the macy's clearance racks. I have found great dresses for a few bucks before.

I'd go for khakkis for the guys... could go with button-down if it's more formal or polos if it's less formal. For you and DD, I'd go with either sundresses or a light summery dress.

I am having an outdoor wedding in August at 11 am too but mine is in Missouri. My wedding is semi-formal with me wearing a traditional wedding dress (tea length instead of floor length). I am expecting most of the wedding guests to wear nice outfits, perhaps what they would normally wear to church. The previous poster's idea of summer dresses and khakkis for the guys it what I had in mind.

Your comment about the wedding "besides it is at 11 am" struck me as odd. Just because the wedding is early doesn't mean it is going to be less formal. I am sure hoping my guests realize that it is still a semi-formal event, especially since I am having a sit-down lunch after the ceremony.

I am having an outdoor wedding in August at 11 am too but mine is in Missouri. My wedding is semi-formal with me wearing a traditional wedding dress (tea length instead of floor length). I am expecting most of the wedding guests to wear nice outfits, perhaps what they would normally wear to church. The previous poster's idea of summer dresses and khakkis for the guys it what I had in mind.

Your comment about the wedding "besides it is at 11 am" struck me as odd. Just because the wedding is early doesn't mean it is going to be less formal. I am sure hoping my guests realize that it is still a semi-formal event, especially since I am having a sit-down lunch after the ceremony.

I think that the original poster was referring to traditional etiquette rules about formality and time of day. The clothes for daytime weddings are, as a rule, less formal than evening weddings. Now, that doesn't mean people should wear what they would wear to Target! Here is a "what to wear" from an etiquette site (of course, I really wouldn't recommend any woman wear a business suit to a wedding, though) -

Dress attire may be specified in the invitation. Pay attention and look at the details of the invite.
For men, daytime formal dress means a suit in neutral colors like black, brown, or gray.
For men, daytime informal/semi-formal dress means a dress shirt and pants.
For women, daytime formal dress means a cocktail dress.
For women, daytime informal/semi-formal dress means a nice floral printed dress or a business suit.
For men, evening formal dress means a tux. Preferably black, with a white shirt.
For men, evening informal/semi-formal dress means a suit in neutral colors like black, brown, or gray.
For women, evening formal dress means a formal gown or a cocktail dress.
For women, evening informal/semi-formal dress means a cocktail dress. If in doubt, a little black Betsey Johnson dress works beautifully, or any solid colored dress in cool colors will do.

I am sorry - I should have clarified. I knew that the timing would preclude wearing a tuxedo and a floor length formal. :goodvibes

I think that the original poster was referring to traditional etiquette rules about formality and time of day.
Yes, thank you - that's exactly what I was referring to!

The clothes for daytime weddings are, as a rule, less formal than evening weddings. Now, that doesn't mean people should wear what they would wear to Target! Here is a "what to wear" from an etiquette site (of course, I really wouldn't recommend any woman wear a business suit to a wedding, though) -

Dress attire may be specified in the invitation. Pay attention and look at the details of the invite.
For men, daytime formal dress means a suit in neutral colors like black, brown, or gray.
For men, daytime informal/semi-formal dress means a dress shirt and pants.
For women, daytime formal dress means a cocktail dress.
For women, daytime informal/semi-formal dress means a nice floral printed dress or a business suit.
For men, evening formal dress means a tux. Preferably black, with a white shirt.
For men, evening informal/semi-formal dress means a suit in neutral colors like black, brown, or gray.
For women, evening formal dress means a formal gown or a cocktail dress.
For women, evening informal/semi-formal dress means a cocktail dress. If in doubt, a little black Betsey Johnson dress works beautifully, or any solid colored dress in cool colors will do.

Thank you - that works perfectly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter