What to eat before a run?

Karin1984

DIS Veteran
Out of curiosity, what do you eat before a run? It's less than 1 week till the Paris half marathon

With Disney runs you are away from your own home. I am used to cook a healthy meal before I go running, having the convenience of my own kitchen, a smoothie maker etc. My hotel doesn't have a fridge, and I know the breakfast the hotel serves, which is yummy with croissants and nutella and other sweet stuff, but not exactly what I need.

I wonder what others do?

If you're allowed to stash a small jar of peanut butter in your bag you could probably do just fine with a couple croissants spread with PB before the half...

I usually bring my own fuel from home as well. That being said, I don't like to eat as early as rD races start so it's usually about stuffing a Honey Stinger Stroopwafel in before the race or bringing a nature valley bar or some PB on the bus. I would echo @FFigawi and say whatever you know you can fuel with is better than risking whatever's available in DL Paris.

I usually bring my own fuel from home as well. That being said, I don't like to eat as early as rD races start so it's usually about stuffing a Honey Stinger Stroopwafel in before the race or bringing a nature valley bar or some PB on the bus. I would echo FFigawi and say whatever you know you can fuel with is better than risking whatever's available in DL Paris.

Never knew stroopwafels were considered sports food. I am from the land of the stroopwafels, if anyone needs a new supply, let me know ;)

**edit** omg! I just looked at the website of Honey Stinger, and they really charge you over $22 for a box of 16 stroopwafels? Here the cheapest brands start at 82 euro cents per 12...

Last edited:
Never knew stroopwafels were considered sports food. I am from the land of the stroopwafels, if anyone needs a new supply, let me know ;)

**edit** omg! I just looked at the website of Honey Stinger, and they really charge you over $22 for a box of 16 stroopwafels? Here the cheapest brands start at 82 euro cents per 12...
I mean Honey Stinger's stroopwafels are intended to be race fuel and I recently paid $12 for a box of 16 on sale. They're definitely not something I use all the time and they don't taste nearly as good as /real/ stroopwafels.

I've recently tried the Gu Stroopwaffel and it's pretty good. May be an alternative if the Honey Stinger version is pricing too expensive.

I bring toast with peanut butter and grape jelly from home that I warm up in the room for Disney Runs (I'm DVC so my rooms always have a toaster in it)

....a stick of kerry gold grass fed butter, 3 hard boiled eggs, and 3 strips of bacon... serious!

that was my pre-race meal before the santa rosa (ca) marathon few weeks ago.

I'm use to night races so not 100% sure what I would need in the morning. The worst mistake I made was a steak 3 hours before a 10 miler. Quickly became my worst run ever.

My biggest thing for my long run days, 9.5 being the longest, we'll see how 11 goes Saturday, is making sure I don't go to bed hungry or I will wake up super hungry and it won't matter what I eat I'll be hungry when I'm done eating.

I have a normal size bowl of regular cheerios and then go run. I fuel with mini starburst, they have sodium, carbs and sugar and work for me. I know I'll have taste and texture issues with the actual fuel stuff from what I've tried. Plus these help my mouth from getting too dry. I use them for anything 5 miles or longer and start fueling between 3 and 4 miles. I do 1/1 intervals so every few walk breaks I'll grab a couple and eat them.

I am going to try some apple sauce before my last couple of long runs to see how that goes because I know the cheerios won't cut it when I have that big of a gap between eating and running. I've tried a bagel before a 10k and ended up starting the race hungry but I think that was also partly due to not being full enough when I went to bed the night before. Hungry for me can quickly go to hangry and a need food now or it won't be good, though that doesn't happen very often I don't want to happen while running.

For me, the day/night before really can be all over the place - but generally it's basic protein (chicken, pork, beef) and rice/pasta or sushi. Never pizza or anything with tomatoes or anything spicy. If I'm at home cooking for myself, chicken and dumplings is my favorite - but a restaurant I love also does pot pies with rabbit or duck that I've had.

The morning of the race - peanut butter crackers or an Uncrustable PBJ.

My challenge is that my stomach can get upset if I eat too early in the morning. But when running a distance event, especially 1/2 or longer fueling up before the race is vital. Someone recommended applesauce to me and I've found that it works perfectly. I've never had a problem with it so I'm going to stick with it.

That said, it's best to know how you will respond to something before race day.

The morning of the race - peanut butter crackers or an Uncrustable PBJ.
More and more I think Uncrustables are the fuel of champions. Did you read the article about the woman who used it as her fuel by keeping it in her bra for an entire marathon? She placed first overall in the women's division I believe.

More and more I think Uncrustables are the fuel of champions. Did you read the article about the woman who used it as her fuel by keeping it in her bra for an entire marathon? She placed first overall in the women's division I believe.

#UncrustableGoals

Reactions: maw
I have a Zone bar (usually chocolate mint) and a Kind Bar (either Cranberry & Almond or Almond & Coconut) on race mornings. That's also what I have prior to my long runs on Saturday/Sunday mornings during training. The bonus is that the bars are very easy to take on trips, so I just pack them along to WDW or DL for race mornings there.

She started the race a D cup, but finished a solid B.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter