What to do with a wedding rings?

Hmmm
I like the idea of keeping it safe fpr now. If she is not in need of the money. then she can wait for a while
All the other ideas soung good

I saved mine. When my son got engaged 25 years later, I gave them to him. He had it redone. I like the idea that he has something from both of his parents, even though we haven't been married to one another for a long time.

I got the rings from my parents. My mom saved the rings in her jewelry box for years until I asked for them. I love them and they are beautiful. I would definitely keep them for any children from the marriage. If your daughter doesn't have children from the marriage, maybe there is another family member that might appreciate them? A niece or younger cousin?

Thank you for all the responses. I will look into the consignment thing. We have a very trusted jewelry store nearby so I will ask them.
No kids involved (thank heavens).
Thank you again! :hug:

Can she remove the diamonds from the settings and sell the gold. Then you can hold on to them or try to sell them for her.

I must have been very, very lucky. When I divorced from my first husband, I had my diamond engagement ring and my diamond wedding band. I had purchased them from my jeweler in the NYC diamond district.

When I was ready to remarry, I took them to her and she paid me 95% of the original purchase value back. I was not buying a new diamond from her as DH gave me his mother's stone, so we only needed a setting. She even bought DH's former fiancee's engagement setting from us for a very fair value.

I would either go ahead and have the rings made into something else or put them away for another time. I just hate dumping something for no value.

DD called today. She was married for 8 years and then divorced. She still has her rings and wanted to know what to do with them. Six different jewelry stores offered her $600. The gold places said they would pay for the gold but not the diamonds. So she listed them on ebay for $2000 five times. No bites. She's afraid of Craigslist scammers.
So now the choices are
Keep an unpleasant memory
Sell for $600
Spend more money to have it made in to another piece.
The rings are appraised and insured for $7000.00 (14 C. gold plus diamonds)
DH told her to let us get them appraised locally and then put them away in our safe until she decides. He told her if she needed the money he would give it to her but she doesn't need the money. She's a Dr in private practice and at a major university. She just wants them gone. What would you tell your daughter to do?I am not bragging about money or value but I hate to see her practically give the rings away but they have too many memories.
I'm kind of in the same mindset as DH but I don't want to upset her. She's been through enough.
Just a Mom
I'd tell her to offload them for $600 and get them out of her life.

If she truly wants them gone then she needs to "man up", make the decision and get rid of them. If she's being reluctant about supposedly loosing $6,400 when no one will pay $2,000 (so I suspect the price is a bit inflated), then she really doesn't want them "gone" she just wants the money she thinks they're worth.

Tell her that her rings are only worth what the market will pay, not what they're appraised at.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter