What to do for 10 hours after debarking?

lornak

DIS Veteran
Thanks to this board I figured out what to do with our extra day BEFORE the cruise...now I need help with some time after the cruise.
I just got a call telling me our flight home has been rescheduled for 7:15 PM. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on how to spend those hours? We have 3 dds (7,5,4) and were planning on using town car service (but perhaps we should rent instead???). Where could we hang out? What about our luggage? Any ideas? Thanks! :)

With that much time I would definately do a car rental. Then just store the luggage in the trunk and enjoy the day. You could do Kennedy Space Center. You could spend the day at Downtown Disney for lunch and a little shopping.

If you don't want to do the car rental I have heard that some people take the town car to the airport Hyatt and get a day room there. That gives them a place to crash for the day and the kids can use the pool.

You should definately rent instead....Avis has a shuttle that will pick you up at the Port and bring you to their rental location. A one-way rental back to MCO for the day is not that much money. You check prices at www.avis.com.

Or, you could keep your towncar service and head straight for the Hyatt at the airport. Someone just posted that they have day rate for about $60. You can use a room and their heated pool for the day.

If you rent, you have plenty of time to do Downtown Disney or one of the many other attractions in the area. In January we had a 6:00 pm flight and went shopping in DTW and even caught a move there. At about 4:00 pm we headed back to the airport to return the car and catch our flight.

MJ

MJ - looks like you and I posted at the same time with the same ideas :)

Hi lornak!

Where could we hang out? What about our luggage? Any ideas?

Geez MJ and WDWLVR, even when I'm fast I'm slow!

I would spend the time at Seaworld, but then again I don't have 3 single-digit daughters - yes, there is a God... You might want to consider one of the Disney water parks. Another possibility would be to contact the airline. Since they changed the departure time (significantly?), perhaps you could convince them to change your flight to the next morning and give you and your family an overnight in Orlando after the cruise. Just some thoughts...

Hi,
We did the day room at the Haytt.It was great for all of us to relax before our long flight home. The pool was great. We ate at the airport and did some shopping. The kids spent lots of time at the pool. A great way to end a great vacation!!
thatmom

you could go to gatorland. We are toying with that since we did the downtown disney thing last year. Looks like a fairly inexpensive way to waste some time...
I have never seen a gator wrestled before so that in itself may be entertaining.

Our party did the Hyatt day room last Saturday and it was wonderful. The kids (1, 3, 6, 8) got to tear around the hotel room safely without us worrying about losing them in the airport. We got lunch from Chili's and shopped the airport Disney stores for the last of our souvenirs. They have a great pool, and nice balconies in the rooms. Although we would've loved to spend the day seeing fun sites around Orlando, we knew the kids wouldn't have as much energy as everyone else.

I made the reservation a couple months ago and was quoted $60 as the rate. After checking in last week I was told the rate had changed to $72.50. They still honored the quote I was given, but said that they have increased the standard rate. I don't know if this changes with seasonal traffic, days of week, or whatever, but don't be surprised if you can't get the $60 rate anymore.

Also, when you call Hyatt reservations they may tell you they don't "do" day rooms. Just ask them to call the hotel directly and they'll confirm that they do!

ONE MORE THING about MCO...
We checked in and got in line for security at 4pm. Lines were VERY long--way beyond the atrium--and if it weren't for the TSA agent who saw our strollers and directed us to their these-people-take-too-long-to-get-through-security line, I'm not sure if we would've made our 5:45 flight. The lines were quite long all day, though part of our group flew out at 8pm and said lines weren't as long then. Is this normal for Saturdays (weekends), or is it just that MCO is such a busy airport?

Hi,
I was the only one who still had their bags with them. Everyone else check them at the port. I flew Delta and the line was really long and our car was there to pick us up. I worried about checking them in at the airport figured I would be in line for ever. I had my bags picked up by a porter from our room. They charged five dollars and they took me right outside to a curb check in. He took my bags and handled everything and the whole thing took about five minutes. Because he was with the hotel they took him before the people in line. I thought that would really bug me if I was in line. But he acted like this is how it was always handled. I thanked him took my boarding passes and off I went. He also got a great tip. So at that my point all my stress was over. I just went shopping and enjoyed the rest of the day.
thatmom

Lornak, my family has the same problem as you do. We are renting a car, so we decided to go to the Kennedy Space Center for the day. I'm hoping the kids will enjoy it. :confused:
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer!

my family has the same problem as you do. We are renting a car, so we decided to go to the Kennedy Space Center for the day. I'm hoping the kids will enjoy it.

After the cruise, my family and I are staying at an off-Disney-property resort for a couple of days. Even a resolute planner such as myself knows when to leave a day open for complete r & r, and that day is the Saturday when we return to Port Canaveral. If you fear the kids might meltdown, you and yours are more than welcome to join us for the day and use our suite as "home base." I'm pretty sure my son will spend the day in the pool and your children are more than welcome to join him. No immediate decision is necessary. The offer is always there, so you can base your choice on how everyone feels that day.

Looking forward to August 16th...

We had our 11:50 a.m. flight cancelled the day we got off the ship at 8 a.m. - rebooked for 4:30 p.m. So we handed our luggage to a porter in the terminal of the ship, brought us to the front of the line to check bags for 4:30 flight, took our already paid and scheduled Tiffany Towncar ride to airport at 8 a.m. arrived at 8:40, and grabbed one of the limo's waiting for "strays" just outside of baggage claim area, went to SeaWorld for the day. Our driver picked us back up at SeaWorld at 2:30, in plenty of time to make 4:30 flight. Was a "shoot from the hip" decision, but SeaWorld was great. Expensive, but great. $52 for adults (over 9) and $42 for the 7 year old. Don't miss the Sea Lion/Pirate Show, and get there early for the mime act. He was so funny making us laugh 15 minutes before the animal acts. I'm sure there are other cheaper things to do, but all you need is bottled water and a camera! Petting the dolphins was great also.

we recently (3/29) had that day to kill as well, and we rented a car from the avis at the radisson, and drove to downtown disney. we took a dis-bus to the carribean resort to check out the remodeled food court, and spent some time doing last minute shopping.

there is a van shuttle to the radisson and for avis, both will get you to avis. i think budget also had a shuttle. you have to look for the tents in the parking lot at the cruise line terminal. you exit straight out of the terminal and go quite a ways down to the left. if you have a lot of luggage, you want to be sure to have a porter help you.

also keep in mind that mco is busy on saturdays: we waited in line for security for almost an hour. and avis does have car return at the airport, so turning in the car was quick and painless.

Thank you Buckaroos Dad. You are so nice.:) I guess I'll have to see what the "kids" want to do. :rolleyes: Since I'm there to cater to their every want (yeah right). ;) But all kidding aside, that is a very kind invite. Thanks.
Jennifer

Getting closer & closer to 8/16!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I'm sure we will be able to come up with a plan thanks to these great ideas! :)

Sometimes I wish it were all kids aside--outside--far away........
LOL

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter