What to do at night with a 9 and 11 year old?

essmom

DIS Veteran
We will be there March 20 - 26. We plan to do DC, USO, IOA,Sw and maybe Wet and Wild. We are planning to do Mardi Gras Saturday night and Cirque De Soliel one night. what else do you think is a not to miss event or restaurant with these ages as we will not be back again. This is our first trip. Thanks

Margritville seems to get a thumbs up for night time also on city walk there are entertainers walking up and down the walk or DJs running competitions for free cds etc:jester:

I think the kids would love NBA City. It is an NBA themed restaurant with a game area which features pop shot type games as well as video basketball games. My son likes to play there and my husband and I enjoy a bit of "alone time" at our table (though I must say, we enjoy a game of pop a shot as much as the next guy!). The photos also come out great! Each table at the restaurant has a view of a TV that plays highlight films, player interviews and I'm sure, basketball games in season. Kids seem to also like the NBA player handprints on basketball sized models all around the outside of the place.

My 11 year old son is here with me and I just asked him what his favorite thing to do is at Universal when not at the parks and he said "go to the pool" He refers to the HRH pool and if you are there and weather permits you may want to check it out.

There is also a large movie multiplex on Citywalk if the evenings get a bit dull. We have not been to this theater yet as we always find other ways to amuse ourselves.

We have not yet ventured to this off site attraction, but the Pirate Dinner Adventure gets pretty good reviews among those with kids. From what I hear, it is only 5-10 minutes away from Universal.

For us, I have found that overplanning activities backfires and that kids are subject to overstimulation and often their choice is a simpler pleasure such as my son wishing to play by the pool.

I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks and I'll keep it as is so we can hang by the pool. We'll try NBA City and Margaritaville . We are staying at HRH so that will be simple. Did you venture to the other pools? I heard Sunset Grill is good and the Kitchen also. My kids aren't big eater outers but we will have to eat something. I made a ressie to TCOUP TCHOUP but will probably cancel-very expensive.

The RPR pool has an interactive pool area for kids to play at and if u are planning on canceling Tchoup Tchoup u could try the Dixie stampede dinner show its new and seems to be geting good reviews:jester: but I agree my kids love playing by the pool as well we will be there at the same time essmom we arrive
12th march-26march so heres hoping for nice sunny weather and hoefully a soft opening of mummy :jester: :jester:

You will have lots of fun with your kids at Universal. It's very family friendly. Between Citywalk and the resorts or the parks, you will have a blast!

While we intended to venture over to the other pools, we did not take the time to do so. My son really loved the basketball area in the HRH pool and was content to play there for many hours. I do not know if the other pools had basketball.

By the way, the Sunset Grill is now closed and has reopened as the Kitchen. I am looking forward to eating there myself.

Good point about Tchoup Chop. We dropped $550 there for 8 people and this included two kids ordering off the kids menu! I must say, though, we had an awesome meal and showed no restraint in ordering whatever we wanted from apps, salads and main courses to drinks and desserts. It was my birthday celebration afterall and I think my dh left a pretty generous tip. I would recommend the place to anyone who doesn't mind spending a bit on an excellent meal.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Tchoup Tchoup. Now I really want to try this place out!

We enjoyed getting to the parks at opening (about 1/2 hour before the official opening time, actually) and staying until early afternoon. We'd then go back to the hotel, swim and rest, and then return to the parks for the evening. Sometimes we'd time it so that we'd have an early dinner before returning to the parks and were happy with sandwiches in the room most days. Most evenings were spent in the parks. One day we didn't take the mid-day break and stayed in the park until early evening before collapsing in our hotel room. :) Make sure that you stay for Mardi Gras one night and watch the fireworks if they are happening when you are there. Watch the fireworks from in the park since a lot of the fireworks are low and would be missed from your hotel room or other remote location.

T&B

I agree with those who said the pool is a great activity. My kids couldn't get enough of it. We too liked NBA City (food and atmosphere). We also took afternoon breaks from the parks so that we could return at night. Nighttime at the parks is such a different experience than during daytime. I'm guessing yours would like to try the rollercoasters after dark! My kids also enjoyed a little time just chillin in our room or wandering around the hotel. The arcade was nothing to brag about, but sufficed for a few minutes when the weather wasn't cooperating. My nine year old hung out with me as I waited for a load of laundry because the room had TV and he could get away from his younger brother for a while.
Enjoy yourself! My kids are still talking about HRH even though we went this past July and included Cocoa Beach, Fort Myers Beach, Kennedy Space Center, the Everglades and other cool locations on the same trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter