What Time Is The 3 O'clock Parade?

This is a conversation that I had with my mother, father, and brother the night before our huge trip to Disney at the end of January:

Me: "... And it'll be easy to just wake up and jump on the monorail and go to either EPCOT or MK..."
Mom: "Why wouldn't we take the buses?"
Me: "The monorail goes through the Polynesian... It'd be easier to just..."
Mom: "IT DOES? Is that new? I don't remember it ever going to any hotel but the Contemporary!"
Me: "It's always gone to the Poly..."
Mom: "No, I'm sure that's new... Last time we went, the monorail went nowhere near any hotel but the Contemporary."
Dad: "I just can't believe how expensive Disney has gotten per night since the last time we went."
Me: "Well, we always stayed at CBR, it's a lot cheaper."
Dad: "Isn't that where we are staying this time?"
Me: "No, we're at the Polynesian..."
Dad: "Is that better?"
Mom: "It is now that it has a monorail going through it!"
Me: "Poly is a Deluxe, CBR is a moderate, so that's why it's expensive. But it's always had a mono..."
Brother: "I don't get it, CBR has a monorail..."
Me: "CBR does NOT have a monorail."
Brother: "Yes it does, I remember taking it from MK and MGM."
Me: "MGM doesn't have a monorail... Neither does CBR. You are TOTALLY misremembering our trip... And it's not MGM anymore..."
Brother: "Wait, I didn't know they closed MGM... What did they do with ToT?"
Me: "No, they renamed it to HS."
Brother: "That's stupid."
Mom: "I think your brother is right, I remember taking the monorail to MK from CBR and then back again one night."
Dad: "So if CBR had a monorail, why is the Poly so much more expensive? Is it because that's where the Beatles broke up?"
Brother: "The Beatles played at the Polynesian? Now THAT is cool..."
Mom: "You aren't listening, it's because the monorail goes to the Polynesian now!"
Me: "It's always gone to... Wait, why are we talking about The Beatles?"
Brother: "When did the monorail stop going to CBR?"
Me: "IT NEVER WENT TO CBR!"
Brother: "Are you sure?
Me: "... ... Pretty sure, yes... ... ..."
Brother: "I don't understand, I really remember taking it back to the hotel."
Dad: "I still don't get why the Polynesian is so much more expensive."
Mom: "She told you already, because of the monorail that goes through it now instead of CBR and because you can walk to MK and EPCOT."
Dad: "Why aren't we at CBR then?"
Mom: "Because I've always wanted to stay at the Poly. It's been my dream since I was little."
Dad: "It couldn't have been to much of a dream if you didn't know the monorail was there... Seems like John Lennon didn't have a good time there if he broke up The Beatles while he was there."
Mom: "Well, it's new and I'm not all about Disney World like she is... She goes all the time! She's the expert who's doing all the work for us!"
Me: "... ... ... I literally have no idea what to say about any of this... ... ..."
Mom: "... ... ..."
Dad: "... ... ..."
Brother: "... ... ... So can we take a Disney bus to Universal? I'm guessing probably not, right? Because I'd like to see the Silent Hill horror ride."

I nearly had an aneurism.

Tropical Wilds said:
This is a conversation that I had with my mother, father, and brother the night before our huge trip to Disney at the end of January:

Me: "... And it'll be easy to just wake up and jump on the monorail and go to either EPCOT or MK..."
Mom: "IT DOES? Is that new? I don't remember it ever going to any hotel but the Contemporary!"
Mom: "No, I'm sure that's new... Last time we went, the monorail went nowhere near any hotel but the Contemporary."
Dad: "I just can't believe how expensive Disney has gotten per night since the last time we went."
Me: "Poly is a Deluxe, CBR is a moderate, so that's why it's expensive. But it's always had a mono..."
Me: "MGM doesn't have a monorail... Neither does CBR. You are TOTALLY misremembering our trip..."
Mom: "No, I think your brother is right, I remember taking the monorail to MK from CBR and then back again one night."
Dad: "So if CBR had a monorail, why is the Poly so much more expensive? Is it because that's where the Beatles broke up?"
Mom: "You aren't listening, it's because the monorail goes to the Polynesian now!"
Mom: "She told you already, because of the monorail that goes through it now instead of CBR and because you can walk to MK and EPCOT."
Me: "... ... ... I literally have no idea what to say about any of this... ... ..."
Brother: "... ... So can we take a Disney bus to Universal? I'm guessing probably not, right?"

Lololololololol!!!!! Woooooooow!!!! I think I read that with my mouth hanging open. Lol

Lololololololol!!!!! Woooooooow!!!! I think I read that with my mouth hanging open. Lol

You have no idea.

We'd planned this for 6 months. The day before the trip I find out:

Mom had no clue Poly had a monorail,
Dad had no clue we weren't at CBR,
My brother thought they built, then removed, a monorail from CBR.

I mean, they dropped some SERIOUS coin on this trip. Like what I consider to be a TON of money. And you don't know that Poly is a monorail resort? You don't know what hotel you're staying at? WTH?

LoL! :rotfl:

Though, so I don't look like a brat, and the conversation was genuinely in good fun, nobody was arguing or anything... But still, just to show that I'm prone to stupidity... I will admit I spent a really, really long time watching the bird in the cage by the ramp at the Mexico Pavilion trying to figure out if it was real or animatronic. I also thought for years that the Wicked Witch of the West on GMR was an actor.

Oh the other priceless thing about the trip... The dang refillable mugs. Totally blew my Dad's mind.

"So I can get anything in the mug?"
"Yes."
"As many times as I want?"
"Yes."
"Like... Anything?"
"If it's at the fountain, yes."
"So can I get soda?"
"Yes."
"What about juice?"
"Yes."
"Coffee?"
"Yes."
"Anytime?"
"As long as it's open, yes."
"Freaking amazing. That is so dang cool."

The man must have gotten, I kid you not, over 100 refills just for himself during our trip. Disney lost money on him, for sure. By the end of the trip, he was educating people, with pride, about the wonder that is the mugs with the unlimited drinks.

It will be, hands down, one of my favorite memories of our trip... My dad and the freaking mugs. The smile on my Dad's face when he came into the room and said "I saw a lady in the elevator and she asked if she could get coffee in the refillable mug and I said yes... Then she ranted about how it was the last day of her trip and she didn't know and she was so mad. But I knew. And I got coffee. Lots of it." OMG I liked to have died laughing.

OMG Tropical Winds, I would give anything to meet your family. Your posts read like an Abbott and Costello routine. "Who's on first?"

Love it.:rotfl:

So, I'm obviously new to the boards and haven't posted much - but I've seriously spent the last half hour trying to silently laugh and not wake up my children! Tropical Wilds, I think you win for best post! Thank you so much for making my night! My in laws think we're crazy enough, as it is, to be going back in April (we were "just there last March!") but I certainly haven't heard anything this entertaining yet...just shock and awe that my husband and I love WDW so much! :rotfl2:

Me: "MGM doesn't have a monorail... Neither does CBR. You are TOTALLY misremembering our trip... And it's not MGM anymore..."
Mom: "I think your brother is right, I remember taking the monorail to MK from CBR and then back again one night."
Mom: "Because I've always wanted to stay at the Poly. It's been my dream since I was little."
Dad: "It couldn't have been to much of a dream if you didn't know the monorail was there... Seems like John Lennon didn't have a good time there if he broke up The Beatles while he was there."
Mom: "Well, it's new and I'm not all about Disney World like she is... She goes all the time! She's the expert who's doing all the work for us!"
Brother: "... ... ... So can we take a Disney bus to Universal? I'm guessing probably not, right? Because I'd like to see the Silent Hill horror ride."

This post FTW!! :lmao: :rotfl2:

Tropical Wilds said:

You should be a writer! That was hilarious! :) did they actually prefer the Poly to CBR in the end?

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Yup, my family is totally awesome. :rotfl:

My Dad is secretly planning another trip for the family next January. Of all the things he could bring up, this was his request:

"I don't really care where we stay. I mean, the Polynesian is nice and that's fine... But when we go, if we could do the thing where we get the cups again. That was a really nice and convenient perk."

Not the monorail. Not the parkhoppers. Not the Magic Express.

The refillable mugs.

Only my dad will go on vacation at a place based around the free drinks.

You should be a writer! That was hilarious! :) did they actually prefer the Poly to CBR in the end?

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm not sure how to answer that... Since everybody was unclear on what the CBR actually was. :lmao:

Last time we went we brought my parents who hadn't been to Disney for over 15 years.
We were staying at the AKL with a full kitchen and I was trying to figure out how we were going to get grocery's. My mother kept trying to tell me there was a small store at the wilderness campground. I don't think she could wrap her mind around how much Disney had changed sense she was last there and there would be a store like that at the AKL too.

She caught on fast once we were there though I can't believe how quickly she understood fastpass and park entry.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:!!!

Fix-It Felix, Jr. - "That's just the honeyglow in my cheeks."

Not Disney related but I still found humor in it.. :)

Flying home from a deployment in Iraq we stopped in Baltimore to go through customs, refuel the plane, etc.. Customs had already checked all of our bags before we flew out of Kuwait so it should have been a quick on and off type of stop. A couple of guys and I were asked to stay on the plane to make sure no one came aboard and tried to remove any of the weapons on board (M-4's, M-203's, M-249's). One of the guys was still pretty much asleep when he was picked so he just stayed in his seat and went back to sleep. He must not have heard the Brigade CO tell everyone to leave all of their weapons on the plane including knives. Here was the conversation as I remember it:

TSA: Please remove your boots so they can be scanned.
Soldier: OK.
TSA: Please step away from the scanner and go see those two TSA members to your right.
Soldier: Ok. Is there something wrong?
TSA: We have a person with a weapon that needs to be detained
Soldier: Huh?!? What weapon (as he is being placed in handcuffs)
TSA: By law we are to detain anyone that poses a threat and has any weapons such as knives, box cutters, matches, lighters, etc...
Soldier: You are detaining me for my boot knife? You do see I'm in uniform and came off of a flight of soldiers returning from Iraq, right?
TSA: We have orders from the Department of Homeland Security.
Brigade Commander: What is going on?
TSA: He had a weapon.
Brigade Commander: He is one of my soldiers that is returning from Iraq. Of course he has a weapon. That aircraft on out there has over 200 weapons on it.
TSA: WHAT!?!?! We are going to have to lock the plane down.
Brigade Commander: You are going to do what? Let me talk to your supervisor.
TSA: No need to get aggressive sir.
Brigade Commander: Supervisor now!!
TSA Supervisor: How can I help you sir?
Brigade Commander: You have one my soldiers detained for having his boot knife. We understand policy but we are just returning from Iraq and he must not have heard to leave all weapons on the plane.
TSA Supervisor: We have orders from the Department of Homeland Security sir.
Brigade Commander: I have orders from the President of the United States that trumps your orders and says this soldier will get his gear and get on that plane. (Shows our orders)
TSA Supervisor: OK sir. Your orders trump mine. Have a safe flight back to Texas and thank you and all of the soldiers on your plane for your/their service to our country.
Brigade Commander: Have a nice day.

While TSA shouldn't be faulted for doing their job they should also use common sense. We were in a separate part of the terminal away from civilians and they had two TSA people waiting at the entrance/exit gate. They checked our names and ID's as we exited/entered the plane to make sure no one got on the plane that wasn't allowed to. This will always be one of the funniest experiences from that trip.

I cannot stop laughing right now. I am going to call my grandpa and tell him about the mugs too.

I kind of just want to hang out with your family for a night lol. You should make a trip video!

I love these kinds of threads. So much fun. Tropical Winds your family wins as most entertaining.

I honestly do not have much. I try and not offer any advice to people unless they specifically ask questions. I also have a habit of not paying too much attention to other peoples conversations. We have on video of our first trip in 2000 DH telling DD on the bus "Where are we going? We're going to Disney World!" Then me in what sounds like an annoyed voice correcting him saying, "We're already in Disney World we're going to Magic Kingdom!" Guess who was the one doing all the research and planning. Fourteen trips later I think we have a clue most of the time.

We took my mother for the first time back in Feb. I am entirely sure she did not understand everything we told her. However this happened today. We have annual passes which we purchased before our trip last summer. We figured we would get at least 3 trips out of them. Well DD16 put together a powerpoint presentation to us the other night with the argument as to why we should make another quick trip. DH was taken by her little presentation. (I actually knew about it ahead of time) after finding actual reasonable airfare he decided to go ahead a book a weekend trip.
...........now I know my mom would like to go back but this is not the trip for that. We also try to be very conscious of other members of our families who can not afford to go and not make a big deal out of our trips. So today when I saw her she told me that my SIL made a comment about how she can not believe we are going back to Disney again. Not sure if DD posted something on facebook about her little scam or not I pressed my mom for more details. She thinks they were referring to us going again this summer.

So I had to ease into letting her know about the next trip and told her about DD's powerpoint. I am quite sure she has no idea what powerpoint means. I then made a comment about how we would consider it because of the annual passes.
She then says to me, "Annual passes mean you can go once?"
Me, "no mom it's the same thing we used in Feb"
Her, "so how can you use it again"
Me, "its for the entire year"
she just looks confused
Me, "It's like the season passes for parks around here, you pay once and that is your admission for the year".

She was still confused but the subject was changed by a 2 year olds demands.

This isn't nearly as funny as many other posts but it sure cracks our family up.

I have a small mickey shaped Canada flag pin on my bag and more than once, while waiting in line for an attraction, I've been asked by a fellow guest to say something in Canadian. My response is "I just did".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter